The Reef Tank banner

Whiskey's 3g Office Reef jar,.. in a tank.

10K views 94 replies 7 participants last post by  jerryclunsford 
#1 ·
Hello all!!!

My other thread was called an office reef, but because of all the changes in my life it never made it to work. Now I'm starting another build which actually will make it to my new office.

I was really loving all the fun Hack was having with Reef Jars, and everyone else who got involved. I got to thinking that something similar would be perfect for my new job. I didn't like the round jars though, because they were difficult to photograph nicely.

SO! This is a "Jar Style" 3G pico. I encourage everyone to join with a Jar of your own!!! It would be really fun to have another group of people doing reef jars.

This will be as simple as possible, while still making a very clean look that is appropriate for a work environment, and also being capable of being unsupervised for at least a week at a time because I travel.

Photos and description to follow.

Whiskey

#2 ·
Bout to say, we seem to be missing something?

Hack

#3 ·
Tank Description:

Tank:
3G AIO from Marineland - Cost $75
-Includes Pump for flow.

Control:
Arduino for Temp Control and Topoff - Cost - already own.
-I have a 10W heater, and fan for heat/cool.

Light:
AI Prime - It's expensive, and I wanted to do a cheap Par38 bulb, but the look is important if this will be accepted at this office. - Cost $200

Stand:
I will make a small wood base that hides everything and holds the temp display. Cost ~$40

Livestock:
This will be a low maintenance tank full of colorful softies like Rics, Mushrooms, Zoas etc. There will be no fish, but it will have shrimp, hermits, crabs, etc.

Basically I want to introduce my coworkers to the hobby.

Whiskey

#4 ·
Ooooo MAN, you're going all out high techie'. They actually make a 3 gallon AIO? WOW! There be a niche to fill for everything.

Definitely too 'high tech' for the dummied down REEFs-IN-A-JUG thread, so of course I'll be on the ground floor as a follower!:popcorn::pint: Best of luck,:beer:
Hack

#6 ·
Well,.. Not really AIO,.. I took the filter pads out, I just wanted that little wall in the back to hide my heater and flow pump.

Plus,.. there is almost no tech! No apex, no internet, no camera, just little topoff and temp controller. I just did that because it needs to be okay alone for a week at a time.

Whiskey

#5 ·
And here is where we are right now. There is nothing in there, I'm starting on the base, and in the meantime this is cycling. After the experience I had with the other reef I wanted to give this lots of time to cycle since real LR is not available anymore.

IMG_8593 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

#7 ·
NO NO NO, I ain't going to! NO!!!!!! I mean it, NO!

Hmmmmm,
Hack

I have been looking at.... NO NO! STOP IT!

#8 ·
Schizophrenia does run in me head.... Have you heard something?:D
Hack

#12 ·
I've got the 'Kid in the ole candy store' syndrome. I'm a strong man till it comes down to will power.

Brandon, all I know him by, was the Gent I got the 'jug' idea from. He also had a fully set up aquarium by the looks of the video..... till he zoomed out... was a 1-3 gallon, I forget the actual size, traditional reef tank set up, in miniature! So the bug has been planted from the beginning I am fighting.

Hack

#14 ·
Posted a 'picture'less up date last night Pal.

Just caught me perusing the 'pico pictures' on the net.
Hack

#17 ·
That looks great! I'll keep the link in mind for when I'm setting up what will eventually be my living room system.

The goal is to have this 3G at work, move the 10G to my bedroom, then probably do something like a 60G cube, or 100G cube in the living room.

But the larger system will be a year or more out,.. I want to buy a home before I start building that. It might even turn into a really nice in-wall system with dedicated fish room depending on how things go in the next year.

Whiskey

#20 ·
I sooooo agree Jerry! Let's see a picture of your new Reef-in-a-jug next to your big reef.:D

IF I had the get up n go, I'd probably have an assortment of 'tiny tanks/jars/jugs' lined up in our fish room. I can probably be talked into, or simply 'may' upgrade my jug..... just soooooo many draw backs to the design.

I've been kicking around the idea, only 'thinking about it' mind Ya, of a shelf running the length of the window side of the tank, the side I view as the 'back' since it's the living room side we sit and look at it from.

And an assortment of 1-perhaps 5 gallon tanks side by side, fed by overflow 'U' tubes from the main tank. Soooooo many beautiful, interesting creations out there I'd love to have about, but not all compatible with one another.

Sooo many options/thoughts.....
Hack

#24 ·
I sooooo agree Jerry! Let's see a picture of your new Reef-in-a-jug next to your big reef.:D

IF I had the get up n go, I'd probably have an assortment of 'tiny tanks/jars/jugs' lined up in our fish room. I can probably be talked into, or simply 'may' upgrade my jug..... just soooooo many draw backs to the design.

I've been kicking around the idea, only 'thinking about it' mind Ya, of a shelf running the length of the window side of the tank, the side I view as the 'back' since it's the living room side we sit and look at it from.

And an assortment of 1-perhaps 5 gallon tanks side by side, fed by overflow 'U' tubes from the main tank. Soooooo many beautiful, interesting creations out there I'd love to have about, but not all compatible with one another.

Sooo many options/thoughts.....
Hack
This would be super cool!!! Do I smell a new project?!

I've always thought it would be neat to share a sump between a bunch of smaller tanks and the main system for creating special environments, but this is even easier!

You could start with jug upgrades and see where it goes! :D

(I don't try to be a "Good" influence)
Whiskey

#23 ·
.... a 'hi-jacked' thread is a happy thread!

We now return control of your thread......paraphrased from The Outer Limits.
Hack

#25 ·
No hijack worries, I'm happy people are having fun.

With regards to progress, here's about all I have. I started off trying to make the stand without a framework, but I don't have clamps that can give me a good joint without something on the back to clamp too so I went back to create the frame. I made it out of 1/2 x 1/2 poplar that I cut from a 1/2 x 6" board.

This is the little framework, with one of the sides half done beside it.
IMG_8890 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This is me checking the frame for size. It's a little long because I want to hide the cords in a wood area behind.
IMG_8892 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

#26 ·
Yeah there's been a handful of threads on here where 'fun' is the main theme. THEY'RE the ones I like hanging out in.

Cool that you're cranking away on your new stand.... best of luck!

I could picture one of them little parasite tanks feeding off our main reef could have a little Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp combo, with a sand bottom and a little rock work. And maybe another with some Barnicle Blennies, or a Jaw fish.

Yeah I could probably get lost in the rabbit hole once that dam gets breached.
Hack

#27 ·
Little update,.. nothing major yet. I'm going pretty slow with this.

Here's the stand as it sits now, the screen will show temp and topoff status, as well as reporting on weekly high and low temps. This will tell me if there are any unexpected problems like the company shutting off the air to the building or fans failing. I will make a nice face trim for the screen front later to clean up the look.

The buttons are to turn off the lights in case I need to, and to turn off the pump for maintenance. They are made from stainless steel and are waterproof.

IMG_8917 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_8918 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

#28 ·
......ohhhhh POOP! Hit the wrong button.

Let's see.... short version.

Even in 'temporary quarters' looks like nice digs you have there Bro. Take your time and enjoy the build.
Hack

#30 ·
......ohhhhh POOP! Hit the wrong button.

Let's see.... short version.

Even in 'temporary quarters' looks like nice digs you have there Bro. Take your time and enjoy the build.
Hack
I do love the place I'm in right now!!! It's perfect for this phase of my life, and 1.5 miles from work.

I'd buy it at the end of the lease if the landlord will sell. I will ask when all the paperwork is over and I have the down payment to make it possible. It has a 2 car garage with a cutout on the side which is big enough for almost another car. Perfect for a little woodshop.

Whiskey

#29 ·
YUP..... Whiskey's a bad influence!:doh:
Hack

Attachments

#32 ·
Just a little update, I've been working at work and studying hard lately but I have managed to make a little progress on this little stand.

Here you can see the adjustable feet to level the stand on the desk (they are never flat)
IMG_9249 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Here is the adjustable light mount that will move up and down for the LED light:
IMG_9250 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

This is the front showing the blind nuts for the mount and the supports for the back:
IMG_9251 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Finally here's a nice look at the trim:
IMG_9252 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I've got the door for the little arduino cut in the side, I might be going into stain with this soon! I'd love to test fit the tank and see if everything is still square, I'm just not sure I want to disturb it's cycle to do it.

Whiskey

#33 ·
I love the alternating light n dark woods Pal! Coming along fantastically!

I am shortly leaving my Jug project behind, and starting a new one. I want to learn how to keep a 'stony coral' alive. I've just started framing out the project over in the THINK TANK hoping other folks can learn along with me. Love to hear some of your wisdom in that area.

Grooviness Pal,
Hack

#34 ·
How's the new project coming Whiskey? Putting my teeny-tub back in the some time latter pile, and opting for the main tank for my SPS delving.

Hack

#36 ·
Things are moving slowly on this build, but they are moving! Here's where we are right now.

This is the main part of the stand assembled and doing a test fit with the tank. It's super handy that you can just pick this little guy up while it's full lol.
IMG_9375 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I opted to go with a spar urethane without any stain. I like that look on this type of wood.
IMG_9393 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

And here it is assembled with the electrical mostly in:
IMG_9501 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Those red lights you see will be connected to indicate an error condition. They will light up if the tank is too full, or if the topoff is too low. Those sensors need to be installed and that code needs to be written. Since this is not a typical aquarium controller I have allot of flexibility, but I also have to code everything I want to do. It is a "Mega" though, so I have something like 25 open digital lines for whatever I want.

The Topoff pump needs to be installed as well, that will be in the door because it requires maintenance, and I need to install the sensors for water level and such.

Once that's done the cover for the top part and back part needs to be built. But we are getting close to having life in there!!!

Whiskey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.