The Reef Tank banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,473 Posts
Hey Pal..... HAPPY LABOR DAY! Hope You're off?

Going by your proven track record, I'm sure the Corals will look FANTASTIC!
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I have a big update finally!!!!

I ran into a bunch of little problems, but I made it through. The tank has been cycling this whole time of course, so now that I have working temp control and topoff it's time to get some corals!

I have a leather coral, some GSP and a frilly mushroom in there. These type of corals are exactly what I plan to keep. I also have one of a bunch of snails, like certh, astrea, and a blue and red leg hermit.

I never plan to have fish, but some shrimp will go in there eventually.
IMG_1784 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_1774 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

It's in the uglies right now, but that's great because the snails will have lots of food.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates on this tank. I've been struggling with one part of it for the entire time basically. Since this tank doesn't have a skimmer, it's never lost it's green water. It looks really bad, and taking a photo never comes out.

About three weeks ago I decided to put a UV on it, it's a 9W Turbo Twist that I had, and it's almost as big as the tank, but it made the tank crystal clear. After a while I decided to remove that Turbo Twist, but the green water came right back. It's back on now, but I need to come up with a better way to install it so it doesn't look so ugly because I'm thinking it may need to become permanent.

Through all of this the corals are doing great though.

Whiskey

·
15,473 Posts
My 'Jug' is farther behind in the update department than your's Pal......WAY FARTHER!

With my skimmer in the process of being replaced on our big tank, our UV has been down as well since I had them tied together with the same plumbing. Also the 9 W Turbo Twist III I think is the whole name? But anyway.....each passing day with both of them down makes me nervous. BEEN THE GREEN WATER ROUTE BEFORE! And that little UV kicks butt!

Amazing how when one project pops up on radar THEY ALL POP UP AT ONCE......Got several irons in the fire waiting for me to decide which to throw money at next.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
My 'Jug' is farther behind in the update department than your's Pal......WAY FARTHER!

With my skimmer in the process of being replaced on our big tank, our UV has been down as well since I had them tied together with the same plumbing. Also the 9 W Turbo Twist III I think is the whole name? But anyway.....each passing day with both of them down makes me nervous. BEEN THE GREEN WATER ROUTE BEFORE! And that little UV kicks butt!

Amazing how when one project pops up on radar THEY ALL POP UP AT ONCE......Got several irons in the fire waiting for me to decide which to throw money at next.
Hack
Oh, I know! It's like you start one thing, and everything else needs you. I'm in a tank work holding pattern a little bit with the impending move, but I would have done a few more things if I knew the move would be delayed so long.

I'm thinking about putting a UV on my larger tank as well, how do you like yours? Did you put it on for clarity reasons? Or is it for something else?

Whiskey

·
15,473 Posts
WOW, I got too many pictures!

This split pea soup hit our tank Whiskey about 6 months in.....Right at Christmas time when I wanted to show it off. Got THAT Turbo Twist III 9 W, and turned clearer every day, and at 3 days was crystal clear. Had it running 24/7 since then and our water has remained crystal clear. It was Algae in the water column that did that to us.
CAM00139.jpg
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
WOW, I got too many pictures!

This split pea soup hit our tank Whiskey about 6 months in.....Right at Christmas time when I wanted to show it off. Got THAT Turbo Twist III 9 W, and turned clearer every day, and at 3 days was crystal clear. Had it running 24/7 since then and our water has remained crystal clear. It was Algae in the water column that did that to us.
View attachment 240939
Hack
WOW!!! What a picture.

The size of your tank makes that looks SOOOO much worse. In my tiny 3G it looks lightly green and foggy, but you still can't see corals in the back, in yours it looks opaque.
I wish I could find a smaller UV,.. you have a 9W on a 225? Is that right? I have it on 3 gallons. The size of the UV is literally about 1/3rd of the tank. :rolleyes: I'd be better off putting the 9W on my larger tank for improved water clarity and then get something sized better for this.
The only problem is that even lower wattage ones are the same phisical size, I need to come up with a clean way to install it so it's not just hanging off the side.

Whiskey

·
15,473 Posts
YUP, the 9-WATT version. I can't attest to it being good for keeping the 'Boogy Man' away, as I hear folks talking about UV's with a skillion WATTS to kill stuff......BUT as far as making your water clear.....the 9 is perfect!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
YUP, the 9-WATT version. I can't attest to it being good for keeping the 'Boogy Man' away, as I hear folks talking about UV's with a skillion WATTS to kill stuff......BUT as far as making your water clear.....the 9 is perfect!
Yeah, I know what you mean. If I was looking to kill Ich I would get a more powerful one I can feed more water through, but I'm really looking for water clarity.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The UV ended up working great on this tank! And I took it off about a month or so ago because it wasn't needed anymore. The tank had some setbacks but it's doing pretty well now!

Sorry for the bad photos, this is work so I don't have my DSLR with me, but here it is right now:
IMG_3919 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_3920 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
15,473 Posts
Hey Pal! You still finding Corals local, or ordering them since you moved? Those Recordea are AWESOME!

Every once n a while I'll have our UV off line for one reason or another.....pump/skimmer issues type stuff that supply it's water....but other than that I've had our's running for I guess 5-6 years straight so far......,too nervous to take it off line.

Hope life is groovy,
Hack

·
15,473 Posts
Oooooops, I forgot that this is your 3-gallon reef. I thought them there Recordea were huge'er. 🤔 :) ("Still most AWESOME anyway!")
Hack

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Tanks looking good bud. Uv is good to have in my opinion. But like you i took mine off the 24 gal nano. I did install it on the new 40b in one of the return lines

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Hey Pal! You still finding Corals local, or ordering them since you moved? Those Recordea are AWESOME!

Every once n a while I'll have our UV off line for one reason or another.....pump/skimmer issues type stuff that supply it's water....but other than that I've had our's running for I guess 5-6 years straight so far......,too nervous to take it off line.

Hope life is groovy,
Hack
I'm finding corals locally, in fact, next weekend, there is a coral show going on!!! I didn't even know they had that here, so I'm super stoked to go!!!

I had built the little stand for this tank to look really sleek but the UV just didn't fit, so you saw hoses coming right out the top to the UV laying on my desk. Suffice it to say that I was eager to get rid of that eyesore lol. I'd like to put a UV full time on my larger tank though! It comes with many benefits.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Oooooops, I forgot that this is your 3-gallon reef. I thought them there Recordea were huge'er. 🤔 :) ("Still most AWESOME anyway!")
Hack
HAHAHA! Awesome. Those would be huge rics!! They are doing great though! I started off with only one!

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Tanks looking good bud. Uv is good to have in my opinion. But like you i took mine off the 24 gal nano. I did install it on the new 40b in one of the return lines
Yeah,.. If I could install it in a way that looked good I would have left it, but the UV in this case is half the size of the tank. I'll put it on my 135 when I move all the filtration for that into the tank room.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Your lucky OK. City has a decent reefing community.
Believe it or not, it's one thing I checked into before agreeing to move here!!! You have to have your priority's lol.

I'm also going down to Dallas next week, and I'll probably be in Dallas a few times a month so I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any cool shops down there. I'm betting there are!

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Neptune's Cove (i think that is the name) is supposed to be good.
Never been there though.
There is the DFWMAS for Dallas area Reefers they had a list of salt water stores.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts