The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!!

My other thread was called an office reef, but because of all the changes in my life it never made it to work. Now I'm starting another build which actually will make it to my new office.

I was really loving all the fun Hack was having with Reef Jars, and everyone else who got involved. I got to thinking that something similar would be perfect for my new job. I didn't like the round jars though, because they were difficult to photograph nicely.

SO! This is a "Jar Style" 3G pico. I encourage everyone to join with a Jar of your own!!! It would be really fun to have another group of people doing reef jars.

This will be as simple as possible, while still making a very clean look that is appropriate for a work environment, and also being capable of being unsupervised for at least a week at a time because I travel.

Photos and description to follow.

Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
Bout to say, we seem to be missing something?

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tank Description:

Tank:
3G AIO from Marineland - Cost $75
-Includes Pump for flow.

Control:
Arduino for Temp Control and Topoff - Cost - already own.
-I have a 10W heater, and fan for heat/cool.

Light:
AI Prime - It's expensive, and I wanted to do a cheap Par38 bulb, but the look is important if this will be accepted at this office. - Cost $200

Stand:
I will make a small wood base that hides everything and holds the temp display. Cost ~$40

Livestock:
This will be a low maintenance tank full of colorful softies like Rics, Mushrooms, Zoas etc. There will be no fish, but it will have shrimp, hermits, crabs, etc.

Basically I want to introduce my coworkers to the hobby.

Whiskey

·
15,036 Posts
Ooooo MAN, you're going all out high techie'. They actually make a 3 gallon AIO? WOW! There be a niche to fill for everything.

Definitely too 'high tech' for the dummied down REEFs-IN-A-JUG thread, so of course I'll be on the ground floor as a follower!:popcorn::pint: Best of luck,:beer:
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And here is where we are right now. There is nothing in there, I'm starting on the base, and in the meantime this is cycling. After the experience I had with the other reef I wanted to give this lots of time to cycle since real LR is not available anymore.

IMG_8593 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooo MAN, you're going all out high techie'. They actually make a 3 gallon AIO? WOW! There be a niche to fill for everything.

Definitely too 'high tech' for the dummied down REEFs-IN-A-JUG thread, so of course I'll be on the ground floor as a follower!:popcorn::pint: Best of luck,:beer:
Hack
Well,.. Not really AIO,.. I took the filter pads out, I just wanted that little wall in the back to hide my heater and flow pump.

Plus,.. there is almost no tech! No apex, no internet, no camera, just little topoff and temp controller. I just did that because it needs to be okay alone for a week at a time.

Whiskey

·
15,036 Posts
NO NO NO, I ain't going to! NO!!!!!! I mean it, NO!

Hmmmmm,
Hack

I have been looking at.... NO NO! STOP IT!

·
15,036 Posts
Schizophrenia does run in me head.... Have you heard something?:D
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NO NO NO, I ain't going to! NO!!!!!! I mean it, NO!

Hmmmmm,
Hack

I have been looking at.... NO NO! STOP IT!
Okay, so I'm hearing some resistance here, but how do you think we can turn that "No" into a "Let's do it!"?

Whiskey

·
15,036 Posts
I've got the 'Kid in the ole candy store' syndrome. I'm a strong man till it comes down to will power.

Brandon, all I know him by, was the Gent I got the 'jug' idea from. He also had a fully set up aquarium by the looks of the video..... till he zoomed out... was a 1-3 gallon, I forget the actual size, traditional reef tank set up, in miniature! So the bug has been planted from the beginning I am fighting.

Hack

·
15,036 Posts
Posted a 'picture'less up date last night Pal.

Just caught me perusing the 'pico pictures' on the net.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
https://gulfliverock.com/

I got some from them around 4 years ago very satisfied with it.
Lots of life.
They do have a 10 lb minimum if I remember right.
That looks great! I'll keep the link in mind for when I'm setting up what will eventually be my living room system.

The goal is to have this 3G at work, move the 10G to my bedroom, then probably do something like a 60G cube, or 100G cube in the living room.

But the larger system will be a year or more out,.. I want to buy a home before I start building that. It might even turn into a really nice in-wall system with dedicated fish room depending on how things go in the next year.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
The gulf live rock has a lot more life as it is not shipped half way around the world.
Mine was the free ground shipping got here with no problems. Can't remember if it 2 or 4 days I think 4.

·
15,036 Posts
I sooooo agree Jerry! Let's see a picture of your new Reef-in-a-jug next to your big reef.:D

IF I had the get up n go, I'd probably have an assortment of 'tiny tanks/jars/jugs' lined up in our fish room. I can probably be talked into, or simply 'may' upgrade my jug..... just soooooo many draw backs to the design.

I've been kicking around the idea, only 'thinking about it' mind Ya, of a shelf running the length of the window side of the tank, the side I view as the 'back' since it's the living room side we sit and look at it from.

And an assortment of 1-perhaps 5 gallon tanks side by side, fed by overflow 'U' tubes from the main tank. Soooooo many beautiful, interesting creations out there I'd love to have about, but not all compatible with one another.

Sooo many options/thoughts.....
Hack

1 - 20 of 50 Posts