The Reef Tank banner

Whiskey's 300 Gallon Glass Cages Dream Reef build

11K views 170 replies 6 participants last post by  Wiskey 
#1 ·
I know I've made mention a time or two recently that I was interested in setting up a dream reef, the kind of reef that I've wanted ever since the early 2000's but I've never been able to do for one reason or another. Something in the neighborhood of 300 gallons that I can have for 20 years and really grow SPS out to full showstopping colony size while still having room here and there for the newest frag (if I keep things trimmed well enough that is).

Well! I wasn't in any real rush because my 135 growing along well, but I was pricing various vendors, checking facebook, and going through large build threads around the size I'm looking at searching for ideas, and I came across a fantastic build by Hydrored which was right up my alley. I got to the end of the thread, and he said that he's moving, and this tank size doesn't work well in the new house, so he's building something better for the house and it's for sale. Turns out he's only 3 hours away by car, and I couldn't be happier!!! I'm picking it up in a few weeks, but in the meantime here are the details:

Glass Cages 300 Gallon, 7 foot long, 33 inches wide, and 25 inches tall. It is all starfire glass (even the eurobrace) and it is trimness on the top. The seams are armored, where they put plastic over the silicone so they can't get damaged. It has a shadow box Ghost overflow which doesn't take up excessive in tank space, and it's drilled for 3 1.5" drains, and 2 3/4" returns. The tank really is a gem, it's been kept in immaculate condition, and it is absolutely Dream Reef material.

The Stand is Extruded Aluminum, with all high end stainless hardware, and the aluminum is strong enough that it only needs one center support over the 7 foot span. The stand is also easy to break down and reassemble, like an erector set. Right now the underside is open, but it comes with little button clips to attach wooden panels. At first I was going to make drawers and doors, which I might still do, but the clips are cool enough that I could make shaker style doors and just pop them on and off. I'm undecided for now. I haven't used a stand like this before, but I'm really intrigued, it has allot of benefit, strong, doesn't corrode, doesn't warp, light,... I'll let you know more once I take it apart and put it back together.

And!! I'm lucky enough to have the sump coming along with it!! Honestly I wouldn't have gone this nice if I wasn't getting it used. This picture is from the Manufacturer's website, and mine has a couple different holes, but it's more or less the same. This Sump is 5 foot, by 2 foot, by 16 inches. That should be plenty! For the first time in a very long time I'm actually considering not doing a refugium. My 25 doesn't have one and I've had less trouble keeping Po4 and NO3 in balance in that tank. I have room in this sump if I need it, but I think I'm going to start without and see.
Rectangle Gadget Gas Machine Office equipment

Finally, there is the coral! There are countless amazing pieces in this collection, but that's the thing I'm most nervous about moving. It's only 3 hours, and I've taken individual corals much, much further, but never this much coral at one time. I have a good plan in place, and I've already setup a holding 100G stock tank to get them right in water when they arrive, but we will have more on that later.

For now I want to close off the first post with pictures of my current reef that will be merged into the new tank, this is the 135 cube that I've been running for the last 2 ish years.
Front:
Water Purple Natural environment Plant Organism

Sides:
Water Nature Purple Underwater Organism

Water Vertebrate Blue Plant Natural environment

Thanks for following along! And I'll have updates on the coral move plan soon!
Whiskey

See less See more
#4 ·
WOW......All the best Whiskey! 'A few weeks....'......MAN is that ever gonna drag for Ya. :unsure: 😁 Hope time does fly though.
Hack

#12 ·
Now it's time to talk about the coral moving plan. This is something I could really use input on, I think we have a good plan, but I'm open to suggestions to help keep coral safe for sure.

There will be a 3-4 hour drive.

Most of the corals are extra large frag, to small colony size, and they are attached to little cups, which peg into the main rock structure. Those cups don't seem to be as small as a frag plug, more like a small branch with a couple pieces glued to it.

Right now the plan is to drain the entire tank into a large 300 gallon stock tank, and put the rock and corals in that tank.
Then we will load and secure the Tank, Stand, and all hardware into the Uhaul with the corals safe in the stock tank.
The next step is to separate the coral from the rock, and secure it for transport.

Part of me wants to try and peg it into Egg Crate in the bottom of a Rubbermaid, but I fear the coral will move around and touch.
Another part of me wants to bag everything, but I'm concerned with how long that might take with the other coral that's already packed in stagnant bags.
I would love to use coolers, but the ones that hold water seem to be over $100 and I know I'll need at least a few of them. If I bagged I could use cheaper ones.
What have you done to move a large amount of corals a short distance like this?

Then the last step is that I plan to use those little warmers to keep the temp up in the bins. I will put them inside a bag for extra saftey.

As far as what happens when I get home, that I think I have a good plan for. I setup this 100 Gallon Stock Tank, and tied it off my existing 135 system in the Fish room. This allows me to condition another 100 gallons of water for the tank move, plus as soon as the corals get home they can go directly into warm stable water. This can be setup in 2 levels to hold everything, plus I have tons of light for it if it turns out that I have a delay in tank setup and need to keep them happy for a while.
Purple Blue Fluid Violet Water

I'd love to hear any tips you might have!
Whiskey

#16 ·
I’ve got a large ice chest you could use.
I would have to check it’s condition hasn’t been used in years.
What direction is the tank in from your house?
Oh yeah!? That's awesome!! The tank is down your way, south. It's about an hour outside of Dallas. I forget exactly where you live, how far off the 35 are you?

Thank you,
Whiskey

#18 ·
This is a good idea! Or, as a slight variation I could put the corals in the cups feeding the little peg through the cup, and put a rubber band around the peg on the other side. Like coral sellers do sometimes with the little sauce containers. Then even if they move around they won't touch coral to coral.

Whiskey

#15 ·
Wiskey, I like the bag idea the best. Especially if you are dealing with Sps. Smaller frags in smaller bags and then colonies in larger bags. Depending on how many you are talking about I guess will decide if it’s doable. That way you can place in box or coolers with a heat pack taped to top. I imagine it’s going to be cold when you move. It’s more work but probably the safest way to move.
it’s easy for me to say because I’m not doing the move. But I have moved a lot of tanks over the years and by placing in a cooler or buckets you stand the chance of damaging them having them bounce around.

#25 ·
I was wrong only 40 inches long
37 1/2 x 15
About a half inch narrower at the bottom.
I measured at first inside below the top ledge.
if you made stackable racks of egg crate would work well.
View attachment 245436
That is still huge! It would hold a ton of coral and be fantastic for transportation in the back of the Uhaul. I may not need it though, because I have a new plan. I'm now going down a couple weeks early to pickup the coral and transport it back in the cab of my car. With the car being heated I'm much less concerned about the container I put them in.

Depending on how close to getting everything I get on the first trip I might still need it, I'll let you know after we do the fist leg.

Thanks for the thought!!! It will be awesome if I need it!
Whiskey

#27 ·
My first shipment for this project arrived!!! Man fittings for 1 1/2 inch plumbing are a fortune! Hydrored did a fantastic job with the current tank's plumbing being all grey and blue. I need to extend the plumbing so that the sump will be in my Filtration room. I can actually do this by disconnecting the unions and putting a section of pipe between them so I have the blue pipe in this pile, and the Unions, but I just couldn't pay the price for the BRS Grey fittings. Parts of it might need to be Blue and White, I haven't decided. I need 6 45 degree fittings just for starters, and I can't pay $12 each for them. That hurts, they are $2 for the white ones at Lowes.

Other things! Salt! Need lots of that, I have 4, 160 gallon boxes total. Better to have more than you need. I currently use a 400W Finnex titanium heater and a 300W Backup on my Apex. I hear that the Apex power bar can wear out relays if you put heaters on them, so I got the dual temp probe, dual relay, wifi connected InkBird controller, and I have a 600W Titanium heater on it. I will keep the 400W Finnex, and the 300W on the Apex. The goal is that the Apex one never turns on. Hopefully with the thicker glass, and the Acrylic sump with lids this tank actually retains heat a little better than my current one. We will see. Also! A couple extra 1 1/2 bulkheads. The plumbing design on the tank is really good so we can take most of it apart without cutting, but bulkhead leaks happen, and it's good to have spares.
Blue Wood Gas Electric blue Hardwood

Whiskey

#29 ·
In other news, the temporary setup progress continues. Hydrored came up with a fantastic idea, that is coming and getting the bulk, if not all the coral early. This way I get to transport the coral in a heated car, which is going to be much easier to ensure they are safe and happy. We are going to try and take advantage of the holidays and do that in the next few days if the weather cooperates, so I'm progressing on the Stock Tank. These are backup LED lights I have, I bought them with a tank setup and upgraded, but they are perfect for this. They may not have the best color, but they put out a huge amount of power, and the center 3 feet of this stock tank has 350 PAR at the center of the water, around 150 at the outside wings lowest spot. I put some LR in there from my frag tank, and of course it's covered in leather. Anyone want some leather? Next step is making racks. That temporary light bar is bolted to the stock tank BTW, it won't slip off.
Blue Water Fluid Purple Naval architecture

Whiskey

#31 ·
Sounds like a good plan. All the work will be worth it. Getting the corals first is probably a better and less stressful way .
If you live closer I would probably take you up on the leather coral. But shipping live is so expensive these days if you aren’t a regular shipper.

#34 ·
The coral move day got pushed back because of damage caused by the cold weather. This will now happen next weekend. In the meantime I have some tester corals in the tub, I'm sure it's fine but never hurts to test it out.
Blue Purple Fluid Rectangle Gas

Since I don't have a ton of pictures to share of the build, I figure I'd share a few from the current tank!
Purple Plant Flower Underwater Terrestrial plant

Botany Organism Plant Purple Underwater

Plant Underwater Organism Flower Marine invertebrates

Natural environment Purple Organism Underwater Coral fungus

Purple Azure Natural environment Textile Organism

Flower Plant Water Underwater Organism

Plant Underwater Organism Petal Marine biology

Whiskey

#35 ·
When a place offers 49 dollars shipping that’s a bargain and even better if they offer free after a certain amount.
fir me yo ship an overnight package with seahorses overnight the minimum cost fir me is about 85 dollars to about 110 for a ten pound box. Then add the supplies. It’s outrageous . Then add in late arrivals.

#36 ·
When a place offers 49 dollars shipping that’s a bargain and even better if they offer free after a certain amount.
fir me yo ship an overnight package with seahorses overnight the minimum cost fir me is about 85 dollars to about 110 for a ten pound box. Then add the supplies. It’s outrageous . Then add in late arrivals.
Yeah, when you order coral online I'm sure way more than half the cost goes directly to shipping.

Whiskey

#37 ·
I got a little bit of work done this weekend, I prefer to have a Canopy on my tanks so I don't look directly into the light when I'm viewing them. My house is a great room style layout, and the tank is in the living room. I bought this house for optimal tank viewing, and it sits in the center of everything, it's the first thing you see coming in the door, it's right next to the TV when you are sitting on the couch, you can see it looking in the wall of windows from the porch, and my desk points toward it from in the office. For that reason I like all the cabinetry to match the kitchen since they are on opposing walls.

Here is the start of the canopy buildout. This will need 8 shaker style doors to finish it out, 4 across the front, and 2 on each of the sides. The back will be a door style panel glue up because I don't own a car large enough to transport full sheets of plywood, so I build without it.
Eyewear Automotive design Material property Gas Machine

You can see the cabinets I'm replicating as well in that photo. The finished result will look something like this image from my current tank's canopy build, this was before door hardware was installed:
Tap Cabinetry Plumbing fixture Wood Flooring

Whiskey

#38 ·
I have an update!! This really was a ton of work, even if it doesn't look like it.

As I said earlier, the biggest piece of plywood I can put in my car is 48x30, with that I need to duck when I'm driving, if I go with 48x24 I can use the passthrough and it's more comfortable. So I needed to get a little creative with the back panel. I think I ended up with a nicer look in the end, and it's super light, I decided to glue it up like the worlds largest shaker style door.
Wood Rectangle Stairs Flooring Floor

This was a test fit with one panel, where you can see the routing that it drops into, and the counter routed styles for strength.

Comet inspecting my work:
Dog Blue Carnivore Wood Rectangle

This is the panel glue-up. Once again, the size is the biggest challenge here. This panel is bigger than any work table I have so my only choice was to use the hardwood floor. If you choose to copy my method I have two tips:
1. Make sure to get divorced first.
2. Wax paper is the best thing to use to protect the floor. The glue doesn't really stick to it.
Wood Floor Flooring Composite material Gas

Finally, and this step was finished only a few minutes ago,... I have the holes for light wires, pump wires, and the two fans routed out, the pocket holes drilled, and the glue attaching it to the main box is drying now.
Wood Fixture Rectangle Composite material Gas

Comet seems proud of me:
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Flooring Vehicle door

Whiskey

#40 ·
Looks really good. You have a way with wood . I never was really good at it. Mainly because I don’t plan things out. Lol
When I did my 150 back in Kansas and my neighbor came to help and ask me where are my plans , told him in my head. He laughed and made me draw up plans. It did come out nice , my VHO’s were on rails that pulled out to change bulbs. .

#43 ·
Thank you!! I literally learned woodworking because of reef tanks. Back in 2001 you couldn't really get stands that allowed you enough room for big skimmers and sumps underneath. I had a neighbor that was a cabinet maker and he taught me how to do some woodworking on the sidewalk outside my apartment. Every stand and cabinet I try and take at least one thing to the next level. I've come a long way since the first plywood box that held up my 29 gallon!

I like the rail idea for changing lights, but for this one I'm thinking that the light rail will be on actuators and pull up and out of the way for maintenance. I've never done that before, and it won't be in place for day 1, but I think it will be super cool.

Whiskey