The Reef Tank banner
141 - 160 of 196 Posts

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
.....HUhhhhhh, you got to speak up Sonny....🤔:ROFLMAO:

I actually found my 'noise threshold' with my Monster skimmer.....thus the new LifeReef.
Silent.....not by a long shot.....but everyone has their 'tolerance'. LOVE the idea of a joint sump....BE WAY COOL! Hope smarter folks can help solve the variables.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Another thing I found is the larger the pipes the harder to get the air out even with the sump below the tank. It may just be my experience and I could be totally wrong. But it’s the only thing I can think cause me the issue

one other thing I’ve found for me is the one I did on the 50 gallon was the easiest and best one I’ve used. I built the overflow box and did it inside the tank. Drilled the tank and ran the pipe though the back.
100% correct, my problem will be purging air, especially since I shut down the return at least 3 times per day, 2 for auto feeding for 20 min, and 1+ for manual feeding.
I also agree on the internal overflows being easier for this, luckily I do happen to have one of those, even though it takes up so much space in the tank.
I also agree that plumbing too large in comparison with the amount of water going down them makes things worse. For that reason I'm sticking with 1" plumbing.

I just came back from lowes, and here's what I think I can do to give me the most likelyhood of sucess. Starting from the tank, through the bulkhead, into a 45, then into 1" rubber hose for a few inches, then into another 45 and hard plumbing. Then we go 2 feet along the wall, 45 into the wall, 45 back out, then a foot of 1" pipe, gate valve, then 90 over, 90 down into sump.

That brings me down to just two 90's, and I could probably make it only 1, but 45's are $1.45 each, and 90's are only $0.20 plus they fit the area better. If I have problems I could always change these 2 90's.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
.....HUhhhhhh, you got to speak up Sonny....🤔:ROFLMAO:

I actually found my 'noise threshold' with my Monster skimmer.....thus the new LifeReef.
Silent.....not by a long shot.....but everyone has their 'tolerance'. LOVE the idea of a joint sump....BE WAY COOL! Hope smarter folks can help solve the variables.
Hack
Yep! Everyone has their threshold! I used to not mind much with the sound of running water. I used to find it soothing, now I get panic attacks. Oh well.

If I can get everything back in that room then noise back there won't matter, and my living room could be even quieter! Right now nothing in the sump is loud, even my skimmer uses a DC pump and an oversized air intake muffler to keep noise to 0, but it really opens up my equipment choices if noise is no longer a consideration.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Don’t they make a thick wall flexible piping? Not hose but piping for plumbing new homes, I never use and and never checked into it, but it would have to be food grade. It could give you a smoother transition.
I just talked to one of my sons friends who is a plumber, he said they do sell it up to about 11/4 inch, comes in white,blue and red.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Don’t they make a thick wall flexible piping? Not hose but piping for plumbing new homes, I never use and and never checked into it, but it would have to be food grade. It could give you a smoother transition.
I just talked to one of my sons friends who is a plumber, he said they do sell it up to about 11/4 inch, comes in white,blue and red.
Yeah, I think you are talking about Spa Flex. I did think about that, but it would be hard to set the correct down angle, also this needs to be pretty flush to the wall because it's behind a door when the door is open. I'm not sure,.. I might go that way but I don't think it will be the first thing I try.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
I made a little progress this weekend. I have leveling feet in the sump base now, and I put a hanger on the back for the Fuge Light. That's a 150W Fuge light that belts out a ton of par! It gives me lots of flexibility to hang it higher or lower.

I'm also fed up with cleaning coraline out of my skimmer so I attached some black Acrylic onto the baffles with a couple dabs of silicone,.. this will help a great deal.
Purple Interior design Rectangle Violet Pink

Purple Wood Violet Flooring Rectangle

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
What are Ya planning on growing in your sump with all THAT HP?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
HA! Technically you can.

There have been a bunch of BRS investigates on Refugium's and why they don't work for people. One of the biggest things that I took from those studies was that most people are putting $1200 worth of light over their reef, then getting a $8 spiral bulb for the fuge and expecting success, and I have to say that I was one of them (still am). For this fuge I'm going to light it more like they lit the ones that did really well for them, but I got a cheaper light from Amazon not the $300+ aquarium version. There are LOTS of cheap grow lights that belt out lots of PAR manufactured for growing tomatoes or something.

The other thing I need to address is better flow in the fuge section, I have a few ideas for that.

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
You planning on keeping more than 'Chato'(sp) down there.....Thought that stuff would grow practically by moon light? Or is this more a 'display typ fuge' with a wide variety of plants? Someone on here a while back had AWESOME refug systems set up....better than displays in some cases?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #151 ·
You planning on keeping more than 'Chato'(sp) down there.....Thought that stuff would grow practically by moon light? Or is this more a 'display typ fuge' with a wide variety of plants? Someone on here a while back had AWESOME refug systems set up....better than displays in some cases?
Hack
Nope! Just Chato (I don't know the spelling either). Right now I have a small fuge with a crummy little bulb, it has limited light and limited flow, and I get limited performance out of it, and I still need to run a little GFO to keep my P04 stable and where I want it. With this much larger fuge and much more Chato I'm hoping that I'll be able to eliminate the GFO. Studies by BRS seem to indicate that this is possible, and with the Triton method and it's inclusion of things to help the Chato grow it's even more help.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
It has been a really big weekend!!! I cut over to the sump in the back room this weekend, and I've been working on leaks today. Here's where we are at:
Musical instrument Plumbing fixture Gas Electrical wiring Waste container

Gas Auto part Machine Metal Cylinder

I have lots of wire management to do, and the Trident and Dosing vessels will go on shelves I'll put under the Frag Tank when I build that stand, but now things are so much easier to get to and work on.

Also, I only have one return so far, that's because I apparently forgot to order a flow sensor for the second one. It's on the way now.

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
Did go 'window shopping' again today looking for options......AMAZING all the options! As long as it's a 75 gallon, 'reef ready', with the overflow amidship, and with 2-holes in the bottom......,comes in black also! 🤔 :ROFLMAO: The size is the size I want, but was hoping for 'options' as far as the overflows go.....according to John, NONE......2-holes in the bottom, and that standard looking black plastic overflow inside.

I like the looks of your 'stand alone' sump Bro, but at floor level, how do you clean the bottom if dirt gets in there? THAT was my start of hatred for them. I'm going to shoot for this being on a stand high enough to 'siphon', but have to weigh that with the height of my tank for having easy access into it.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
Did go 'window shopping' again today looking for options......AMAZING all the options! As long as it's a 75 gallon, 'reef ready', with the overflow amidship, and with 2-holes in the bottom......,comes in black also! 🤔 :ROFLMAO: The size is the size I want, but was hoping for 'options' as far as the overflows go.....according to John, NONE......2-holes in the bottom, and that standard looking black plastic overflow inside.

I like the looks of your 'stand alone' sump Bro, but at floor level, how do you clean the bottom if dirt gets in there? THAT was my start of hatred for them. I'm going to shoot for this being on a stand high enough to 'siphon', but have to weigh that with the height of my tank for having easy access into it.
Hack
Yeah, unless you are going to have a custom tank made then you are stuck with that overflow style, or you need to drill your own regular tank. I drilled my 75, and I'll be drilling my 40G frag tank soon as well.

As far as cleaning dirt off the sump, I have a few comments. I use filter socks that I change out every 4 days or so because it's cheap to use them. I may move to a roller mat some day, but right now the socks work well. This made a huge difference in the amount of gunk on the sump floor. I don't panic about sump gunk either as long as nutrients are in check, I only clean it every 6 months or so.

And here's the big one.

When I do clean it I just use a wet/dry shop vac. It takes less than 5 min to get it spotless.

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
Yeah, unless you are going to have a custom tank made then you are stuck with that overflow style, or you need to drill your own regular tank. I drilled my 75, and I'll be drilling my 40G frag tank soon as well.
Something to ponder yet Bro.....Looked at Red Reef tanks, and they must be out of some foreign country, as I can't figure out the price because they evidently place em differently than we do! 🤔 :ROFLMAO: This 75 reef ready at Johns, an Aqueon, goes for just over $400.00, and THEY want something that has 3 zeros in it?

I could drill my own holes for the sake of a decimal point.

Really shocked about your sump cleaning caviler approach......THOUGHT everything had to be all lined up ducks?
Hack

·
16,599 Posts
Sounding like me now!🤔😁
Hack

141 - 160 of 196 Posts