22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Outstanding job Wiskey
Thank you Doug!!!

One last little update, my pulls came in last night!

From here this starts to get even more exciting. I'm thinking the next project is plumbing the Sump into the Tank room that way I can do something about the wood around the base there.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Outstanding. I don’t know what is the fourth to last but it is very cool.
I think you are talking about this one, correct?

If so it has a couple names, Starry Night, Garf Bonsi, Tricolor acro, are all names it goes by from various people. Some will try and tell you that Bonsi and Tricolor are not the same, and the bonsi has more blue, but really the thing that makes the difference is how much blue you have in your lights. I've had them side by side in the same tank and they are the same.

Thank you!!
Whiskey

·
Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
263 Posts
I think you are talking about this one, correct?
View attachment 241944

If so it has a couple names, Starry Night, Garf Bonsi, Tricolor acro, are all names it goes by from various people. Some will try and tell you that Bonsi and Tricolor are not the same, and the bonsi has more blue, but really the thing that makes the difference is how much blue you have in your lights. I've had them side by side in the same tank and they are the same.

Thank you!!
Whiskey
Yup! Thanks! I am still like a kid in a candy shop here. That is an SPS? I don’t know much about corals yet.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Yup! Thanks! I am still like a kid in a candy shop here. That is an SPS? I don’t know much about corals yet.
That's correct. More specifically that's an Acropora. Other SPS like Stylo's, and Monti's are a little easier to keep and demand less light.

This particular Acro has been in the hobby a long time, so it's used to being in tanks. This really helps with it's life expectancy and ability to retain color. Acros direct from the ocean are much more of a gamble.

Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
Ohhhhhh,now the embarrassment starts.....Whiskey has his camera out!
This Guy is a water box picture taking guru!
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Ohhhhhh,now the embarrassment starts.....Whiskey has his camera out!
This Guy is a water box picture taking guru!
Hack
HA! I wish. Now that my best camera is being used for timelapse data I'm struggling a little bit more. This one is supposed to be the same sensor as mine, but the lens doesn't mount nearly as well. My lens mount after the adaptor is literally larger than the camera. Aside from the regular issues of having to use a touch screen to adjust everything it's almost impossible to hold this thing stable.

One day I'll get a Canon 6D MkII

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Get another tripod.
I could do that, but that's the other funny thing about this Camera, it doesn't work with the remote trigger, that means I have to hit the button and potentially jiggle the camera when taking the shot.

I thought Mirrorless had come further, but it's still not on par with the DSLR form factor IMHO.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
So,.. right now I'm working on plumbing my sump into the room behind, but I am VERY picky about noise. If I can't hear my (dead silent) celling fan (on low) louder than the tank when I'm standing right next to the tank then there is a problem in my mind. After being married (and now not married) I'm afraid I've become way to triggered by any noise.

I almost wish there were more traffic noise here.

Here's the problem. The only way to make a drain as quiet as I require is a bean animal drain, which has to achieve a full syphon. Now I need to plumb 6 feet over to my sump. I've never done this before, and I'm not finding others that really have either. The only advice I've really had which is useful was to not use any 90 Deg fittings. Unfortunately due to the path I need to go, right now I have 5, 90 deg fittings.

It's making me really want to leave the sump under the tank, but the tank room with a frag tank will be so cool! Plus being on one system is good for everything.

It's a $300 experiment, that includes cutting at least 12 pretty big holes out of my drywall, but if I don't at least try I know I'll always wonder how awesome this could have been. But I'm having trouble finding the motivation to take this risk if you know what I mean.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
I can see the challenge, I know for the average bean set up they say you need only having the valve in the main line .
here is what I think in your case, place a valve on all three, you maybe able to reduce flow to secondary drain to creat a solid flow in main and get the air out. I think it’s the trapped air that will give you the issue.
you can slowly open the other valves to wide open.

I could be wrong, but I have done a few beans and some bleed the air out better then the others. I personally think what you are wanting to achieve is possible.

·
Premium Member
25,270 Posts
Another thing I found is the larger the pipes the harder to get the air out even with the sump below the tank. It may just be my experience and I could be totally wrong. But it’s the only thing I can think cause me the issue

one other thing I’ve found for me is the one I did on the 50 gallon was the easiest and best one I’ve used. I built the overflow box and did it inside the tank. Drilled the tank and ran the pipe though the back.

121 - 140 of 196 Posts