The Reef Tank banner
101 - 120 of 194 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Like I said, I haven't chosen a tank yet, wide open to opinions.....but am picturing having 1 of my 4' (8) bulb t5's supporting it.
Am leaning towards a shallower tank....I like the 24" depth of this one. So keeping PAR above 250 will be a breeze.
Hack
If you are looking for opinions, one of my favorite tanks would fit that light perfectly. The standard 120, it's 2 foot deep, 2 feet high, and 4 feet long.

Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,599 Posts
'They' do enjoy phasing things out....1st my t12's, then 8's.....hope the 5's hang around for a while....ain't looking forward to any glass tubes smaller than them.
Hack

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think the government is behind the fluorescent phase out. Environmental and energy concerns.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I don’t think you will ever see another fluorescent bulb come out. LEDs are the future for now.
I partly agree with this, but there are still allot of people running T5, especially over the pond. LED's alone also have a shading issue that hasn't been fully addressed in that platform yet. I think T5's will still be around for quite a while, especially the simple stuff like replacing ballasts and bulbs.

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
WOW......That's huge! 😯 Is that to give you the heighth above the water you want?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
WOW......That's huge! 😯 Is that to give you the heighth above the water you want?
Hack
Yeah, so over the years the thing that has hurt me the most in lighting design is the lack of height in my canopy. For only t5's you want them to be 4-6" off the water and you are just fine, but you don't get the proper spread and mixing of LED colors if something like a Hydra 32 is that close. By bringing my lights up 20 or so inches off the water I'm able to blend the light together and get an even blanket. I also get light reaching corals from many angles which helps avoid shading.

Someone is going to comment about how I'm wasting light due to the Inverse Square Law that lighting follows so I'll address that as well. Since the inside of the canopy is painted bright white, light that hits it is reflected back into the tank, so this doesn't follow that law as an open topped tank would. In fact I count on this to give me light to my coral from additional angles.

Whiskey

·
16,599 Posts
THAT'S top shelf quality looking my Friend! 👍
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Thank you everyone!!!! I'm really happy with it.

This ended up being a larger job than I thought because now that I'm getting this into it's final state I wanted to rewire things to clean up some big coral spiral messes that I dealt with before because it wasn't the final hood. Now I was able to cut all my wires and clean things up.

Old hood with access only to the front, and small access at that:

New Hood with access to all sides!!!

Sorry about the poor photos, I don't have the energy to use my DSLR after all this work today.

Whiskey

101 - 120 of 194 Posts