The Reef Tank banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Hey bud this is a awesome build. A neptune trident man I’m kind of jealous. Might bit the bullet this coming black Friday sale and get one. How accurate is it? You ever check it against other test kits? You using a neptune dos also? Reefing funds low after buying 70lbs of gulf live rock and a just ordered a ecotech Radion xr15 so would definitely be a future purchase.
Matt

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
In the big freeze recently. We only had rolling blackouts but had all the plumbing in the well house freeze, some pipes in the bathroom wall and one to a faucet on the deck. Oh, what fun.
Geez! I'm terrified of frozen pipes. Having a pipe in the roof burst could cause so much damage. Luckily my pipes are all under the slab so hopefully it's not a huge issue in my case.

Did you end up having any damage from that? Or did you cut off the water before it leaked?

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Hey bud this is a awesome build. A neptune trident man I’m kind of jealous. Might bit the bullet this coming black Friday sale and get one. How accurate is it? You ever check it against other test kits? You using a neptune dos also? Reefing funds low after buying 70lbs of gulf live rock and a just ordered a ecotech Radion xr15 so would definitely be a future purchase.
Matt
I love it!!! I did check it against the Red Sea and Hanna test kits and it seems pretty accurate so far. The most interesting thing about it is that every set of regents comes with a calibration solution, so you calibrate it on every change out. For that reason I think it has the potential to be even more accurate than other kits.

I do run the DOS (2 of them) and Triton for 2 part with my Trident, and I just gave the APEX the ability to adjust the dosing to match my set points. I let it modify dosing levels by 25%. So far it's being pretty smart about it. I mixed my 2 ALK parts, so I dose double on that pump, and the last DOS Head I use for Acro Power.

You are going to love that Ecotech! I've heard great things about them.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Only having to replace the pipes, the only plumbing that froze in the house was in a outer bathroom wall.
Not really any leakage in the house as the supply lines in the well house were frozen solid so no flow.
Several feet of split pipe in the well house, the water in the well tank was frozen, didn't look like it hurt it though.
Just a major pain no water, and working in the cool weather to replace the plumbing.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Only having to replace the pipes, the only plumbing that froze in the house was in a outer bathroom wall.
Not really any leakage in the house as the supply lines in the well house were frozen solid so no flow.
Several feet of split pipe in the well house, the water in the well tank was frozen, didn't look like it hurt it though.
Just a major pain no water, and working in the cool weather to replace the plumbing.
Geez! What a mess. It's too bad the pipes aren't made of a material flexible enough to deal with this expansion. I wonder if the new Pex they are using everywhere deals with it any better?

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Nope, not unless it is a lot different than what they have been using in trailer houses for years.
Main problem was the well house is too small to really work in, you really have to kneel in the door and work.
I am going to make it bigger this summer. At least so you can in it and move around.
Just capped the pipe under the deck I will have to pull up some of the deck boards to get to it better to fix it.
It just ran a faucet for hoses on the front of the house so not a huge problem, using the faucet on the side of the house for now.
The rolling blackouts were a lot of fun. Hour of power half hour off. Couldn't watch a whole movie but an hour TV show it it started at the right time worked ( better than off for days though).

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Nope, not unless it is a lot different than what they have been using in trailer houses for years.
Main problem was the well house is too small to really work in, you really have to kneel in the door and work.
I am going to make it bigger this summer. At least so you can in it and move around.
Just capped the pipe under the deck I will have to pull up some of the deck boards to get to it better to fix it.
It just ran a faucet for hoses on the front of the house so not a huge problem, using the faucet on the side of the house for now.
The rolling blackouts were a lot of fun. Hour of power half hour off. Couldn't watch a whole movie but an hour TV show it it started at the right time worked ( better than off for days though).
The other problem with the well house is that it's probably not heated so I'm betting your main supply pipes are the first to freeze! That hour on, and half hour off power situation had to be terrible on your electronics. I'll feel so much better when I have this generator installed and tested. Even if I don't use it the piece of mind will be worth it.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I put a heater in it in the winter.
Smart!

Then the rolling blackouts come along and wipe you out :(

It doesn't usually get that cold though. I was being told that it hasn't been that cold with that much snow since like 1913 or something like that. I sure hope so, I'll like having the protection, but I'd much rather the power just stay on.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
My levels are starting to even out! I'm loving this Trident, and I'm really looking forward to a new level of stability for my corals. I've had many issues in the past, both large and small which have been traced back to an Alk related issue. Either whatever I'm using to dose runs wild, or stops working and I don't notice until days later.

As I mentioned earlier, I just gave the Apex control of the pumps, right now I'm telling it to shoot for ALK at 8.5, CA 440, and MG 1350. Currently it has the MG at the lowest dose it is allowed to, and the ALK at the highest dose it's allowed to which is the correct choice (I just bumped the ALK baseline because it's max couldn't keep up). With CA it's already found the sweet spot. Currently I'm permitting a 25% automatic modification to my baseline dose ML number as long as the current reading is within a certain range.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I am starting work on the filtration part of my tank room! I picked up this 55G tank a while back for $20. It is super beat up, and used to be a sump, but it will be a nice upgrade to what I'm using now, and it means I won't have to shut down my existing sump for a redesign leaving the tank without one.

I had a local glass shop cut 1/4 inch glass baffles because I've had problems with Acrylic holding over time. Silicone just doesn't bond to Acrylic like it does to glass.

IMG_4887 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

The first section will have my filtersock and skimmer, the next section will have a fuge with a 150W LED light (Watching the BRS thing we generally under light fuges) and the last section will be the return.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
This shows the base I made for the Sump today, it will have adjustable feet so that I can compensate for the unlevel slab floor but they are delivered tomorrow. The tank is undergoing a baffle test in this photo, I'll leave it overnight and if the center section fills I'll know I have a leak. I LOVE that the glass baffles don't bow!!!!

IMG_4899 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

IMG_4900 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I put adjustable feet off of a video game on the bottom of my stand so I could compensate for the sloped floor in my room.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I put adjustable feet off of a video game on the bottom of my stand so I could compensate for the sloped floor in my room.
It works great doesn't it?! I have spent so much time making shims, I didn't know these little feet were so cheap and so handy.

Whiskey

61 - 75 of 75 Posts