The Reef Tank banner
301 - 320 of 333 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
Good job , I just never been good at making videos
Thank you!!
I have to say that I tried, deleted, tried again, deleted again, rinse and repeat. Frankly this one almost didn't make the cut,.. but I decided that done was better than perfect!

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
OK Whiskey, YOU'RE HIRED! I'll notify you whenever I'd like a video made, and you can come over and do THAT STUFF! You're an absolute natural/pro!
Hack
Ha! Do you pay mileage?
I'd love to claim that it's natural, but I'll get a little better every time (and hopefully a little thinner!)
Whiskey

·
Administrator
19,294 Posts
I have tried only perhaps 3-4 times to, not only make a video---->host it on YouTube---->and get it on here. And actually succeeded twice....I think? Once was playing my guitar around a bonfire, and once with our reef. BUT it doesn't come easy for me.
With my up coming venture in this hobby I do want to practice with it. You have set the BAR for us.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
I have tried only perhaps 3-4 times to, not only make a video---->host it on YouTube---->and get it on here. And actually succeeded twice....I think? Once was playing my guitar around a bonfire, and once with our reef. BUT it doesn't come easy for me.
With my up coming venture in this hobby I do want to practice with it. You have set the BAR for us.
Hack
Bar! One of my favorite words!! Especially on a weekend lol.
I can't wait to get the next growth timelapse posted. I think it's going to turn out really nice.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
I've been busy, so it took almost a month to pull this off. But I Finally have my newest growth YouTube video up! This is a timelapse showing the transformation of this tank from when I bought it until December 15th or so in 30 seconds:

I continue to struggle with the changes, I've lost another coral as of this morning, a birdsnest this time. That brings me up to 5. I'm hoping this stabilizes soon and everything gets back to being happy.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #309 ·
My tank is still not well. I've lost about 8 frags or so, most of them had never really taken off. Everyone seems to agree that keeping NO3 levels above 0 is important, so I'm continuing to dose NO3, but I've made a few other changes to try and get things back on the rails. I have lowered light levels and I'm continuing to watch all the parameters very closely to make sure something else doesn't swing. I have done a couple of water changes, just keeping my fingers crossed at this point.

Plant Water Organism Underwater Marine biology

Plant Natural environment Underwater Branch Organism

Water Plant Blue Natural environment Underwater

Plant Branch Organism Twig Terrestrial plant

Some corals are perfectly fine:
Water Plant Natural environment Underwater Organism

Water Natural environment Fluid Organism Underwater

Whiskey

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having, nothing more frustrating then not being able to get a handle on what’s going on,

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Sorry to hear about the issues you are having, nothing more frustrating then not being able to get a handle on what’s going on,
Yeah, no doubt. I know what started all this, I just don't know exactly if it was a direct cause and effect, or if it had a chain reaction. It was a tough call to keep dosing the NO3 but I think it's the right one for long term.

The other thing I don't know is if those corals are dead or not. They could be dead and the skin just hasn't fallen off yet, so it's a little hard to tell for sure if things are on the mend, or if they are getting worse.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
27,903 Posts
Nice, I was expecting a clam, I love them also. But I don’t trust coral beauty. I could see it nipping it. I may jus be paranoid

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Nice, I was expecting a clam, I love them also. But I don’t trust coral beauty. I could see it nipping it. I may jus be paranoid
I don't blame you, that fish came with the tank, and so far it's just an occasional nipper if at all. I'm keeping an eye on it of course, because they can go rouge, but hopefully it won't be an issue because I love the fish.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
I figured out what was going on with my tank!!! Things continued downhill so I stopped NO3 dosing, then I saw Phosphate shoot up unexpectedly. My GFO was exhausted in only 20 days when usually I replace it at 2 months or more. At that point I started looking for things that could cause large phosphate problems. I found that water was going into my DI stage at 4 TDS, and coming out at 9!!! That's not right. I took the DI apart, and although it had not changed color, I found the canister to be maybe 7/8ths full? The only thing different was that I had mixed 2 DI resins because I hit the end of the first batch and started a different brand. The new stuff was finer, and I think it mixed and started taking up much less space. It was leaching back into the water which is a bad situation.

I dumped all 90 gallons or so of water that I had on hand and started making new. By this point I have done a 45 gallon water change and I'm making up new water for another. I put a PolyFilter in there to deal with any heavy metals, added carbon, and GFO to deal with the Phosphate.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I found the issue, it's a little early to tell but it looks like the death has at least slowed, if not stopped. I'll update as a little time passes and I'm able to tell for sure.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
So I have positive signs with regards to this tank! Alk consumption is going up every day, and I'm now nearly back to the alk consumption I was seeing before the situation. About half my corals look bad, but I'm starting to see more robust looking tissue at the edge of the dieoff area which I take as a positive sign. It almost seems like the death is reversing and it's starting to cover back over. I won't really know for sure until about a week goes by but it looks like we are heading in the right direction.

My PO4 shot down, and I tested it at 0.03 yesterday. Many people would say that's the perfect number, not me. I seem to have bleaching issues when I let it go that low, so I fed allot and I'll keep testing every couple days until that number stabilizes again.

My light is still turned way down, and I don't think I'm going to turn it all the way back up. I am going to watch coral color and growth and let that guide me a bit, but I feel like my light was a bit high before and that may have been causing poor pylop extension. In either case I'm going to leave it be for at least a month to let things settle out.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #320 ·
Little update on this tank. I continue to struggle with coral a little bit, but most things are recovering well. I'm still not sure exactly how much I lost, but I'm starting to see color come back, and I'm starting to see aggressive growth again on many pieces.

I met someone in town here who had a bunch of frags for sale, and I picked up a few things!
Water Underwater Fluid World Marine biology

Water Vertebrate Azure Natural environment Underwater

Purple Plant Organism Marine biology Window

Water Organism Underwater Gesture Fluid

Water Underwater Organism Coastal and oceanic landforms Marine biology

Purple Fluid Gas Electric blue Space

Along with a couple others.

Whiskey

301 - 320 of 333 Posts