The Reef Tank banner
281 - 297 of 297 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
And I thought THAT was a light hungry, can't get enough Coral? HUH? 🤔 I've a LOT to learn yet....

I've always loved Tangs, and back in the 'old days', I had a Yellow. But ever since I got back in the hobby, and sooooooo many people jumped on the 'They're ich magnet' band wagon, I haven't been able to get myself to get one......Heck, I honestly still don't know what direction I will be heading with this hobby. 2 months ago I would have bet the farm it was the SPS route......having 2nd thoughts about leaving 'softies' behind.....intrigued by a 'frag farming' idea. If Ya notice whatever it is, it involves staying in the Coral hobby....BEEN BITTEN TOO BAD.
Hack
So yeah,.. Even though SPS are "high" light there is allot more happening there in fact. Most people say to shoot for Par between 200 and 350 to have the most success with SPS, and it's true that the majority of them Saturate at that level, meaning they get every bit of light they want to grow at their maximum rate. Past the saturation point they start to Photoinhibit, which basically means growing slower due to having to protect themselves from the extra PAR. The way this presents in some coral is shifting color, or bringing new color out of the coral. This is why you see some tanks with wildly colored corals that are in the par range of 700 at the top of the rock. The corals need to be acclimated carefully of course, and not every coral can take this.

But here's the deal,.. Even if you have your tank at 200-350 (mine is about 310 at the top right now) you will find that corals will color better and grow faster in certain levels, so experimenting by moving them around can yield results. (Give them at least a month in the new location before seeing minor changes). Here is a chart that helps illustrate my point. I got this off the internet, but I don't remember where the study was from:
Rectangle Font Parallel Audio equipment Pattern

You can see how varied the amount of light a coral can use is. But the other side of this coin is that they are highly adaptable, and even though you may not get maximum growth, you may find you like the color of a Milli in more like 300 PAR.

I've never really had an Ich problem with any of my Tangs (Knock on wood), but I feed them really well. My fish eat 3 times a day, twice on auto and once by hand.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Hack as far as ich being a problem for tangs, I haven't had much trouble and if they did show signs it wasn't all that bad and they seem to fight it off. The worst case I ever had was in my 240 when I held a friends large Stars & Stripe puffer. That thing stressed out with my triggers and ended up losing the battled and didn't make it, I cant remember what other fish didn't make it. I never treated my fish or the tank and they all did fine, even if they where affected by ich at the time. I had more trouble housing fish for people then my own.
I think it's like what PaulB says, it had a lot to do with diet , healthy fish fair better then weaker fish. That's why it nice if you have a shop you trust.
My luck after posting this I probably will. I do have more time now and probably should set up a QT tank. I want to order a few Biota yellow tangs and they are super small so I wouldn't want to place in the larger tank. I thought about using the seahorse tank for them until they grow some.
Sorry for Hijacking's your thread wiskey.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
THANKS Whiskey....COOL STUFF right there. 👍 :cool:

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Hack as far as ich being a problem for tangs, I haven't had much trouble and if they did show signs it wasn't all that bad and they seem to fight it off. The worst case I ever had was in my 240 when I held a friends large Stars & Stripe puffer. That thing stressed out with my triggers and ended up losing the battled and didn't make it, I cant remember what other fish didn't make it. I never treated my fish or the tank and they all did fine, even if they where affected by ich at the time. I had more trouble housing fish for people then my own.
I think it's like what PaulB says, it had a lot to do with diet , healthy fish fair better then weaker fish. That's why it nice if you have a shop you trust.
My luck after posting this I probably will. I do have more time now and probably should set up a QT tank. I want to order a few Biota yellow tangs and they are super small so I wouldn't want to place in the larger tank. I thought about using the seahorse tank for them until they grow some.
Sorry for Hijacking's your thread wiskey.
No worries! That's what these threads are about! I love Tangs, they are an essential part of my cleanup crew.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
THANKS Whiskey....COOL STUFF right there. 👍 :cool:

Hack
It really is. For you starting out with SPS I would say shoot for 250-300 Par at the top with a very even spread that lacks any hotspots. Most corals will adapt to that level really easily and the lighting you have can provide that when it's setup to do it. Then as you get more experience you can play with light levels and particular corals to maximize color and growth.

There is a part of this hobby that is very technical, but once you get past that it turns into more of an art.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
I am floundering like a ship without a rudder at the moment Whiskey......I'm going to 'down size' whatever my future holds. Jen needs the extra room now with Her mobility deteriorating......but either stay with a softies reef, softies frag tank/.tanks, or SPS......in limbo at the moment. Hate to abandon a perfectly good ship, but life requires a wee adjustment. I know you been there.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
I am floundering like a ship without a rudder at the moment Whiskey......I'm going to 'down size' whatever my future holds. Jen needs the extra room now with Her mobility deteriorating......but either stay with a softies reef, softies frag tank/.tanks, or SPS......in limbo at the moment. Hate to abandon a perfectly good ship, but life requires a wee adjustment. I know you been there.
Hack
I have been there for sure, and this could be really exciting! It could give you the chance to start over and setup a system that's easier to maintain, more stable, and have the chance to keep a new type of coral! I get that you need to figure out what direction you are going to go, but in this case, smaller might be better!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Wiskey, I’m definitely thinking of a controller, looking at the hydros, but it has it limitations, seneye just monitors . And that leaves apex. What interest me is the trident. Not having to manually test Would be a plus along with controlling my calcium reactor. Or if I decide to dose.
How dependable would you say it is and have you had issues with probes or failures? I have read a lot of negative reviews and they all say support is really bad. Even when the unit is new.
I had one and didn’t have trouble outside of connectivity issue which could have been in my side. We will be getting fiber optic internet soon that should take care of it on my end.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Wiskey, I’m definitely thinking of a controller, looking at the hydros, but it has it limitations, seneye just monitors . And that leaves apex. What interest me is the trident. Not having to manually test Would be a plus along with controlling my calcium reactor. Or if I decide to dose.
How dependable would you say it is and have you had issues with probes or failures? I have read a lot of negative reviews and they all say support is really bad. Even when the unit is new.
I had one and didn’t have trouble outside of connectivity issue which could have been in my side. We will be getting fiber optic internet soon that should take care of it on my end.
I'm pretty heavily invested in my Apex and I wouldn't run a tank at this time without one. Some of the modules and addons are better than others for sure, and nothing is perfect. I got bit recently with a module jumping offline and changing it's internal address which made it show up as a new unconfigured unit sending all of my optical sensors into panic. Luckily I use a different type of sensor for my normal level so I was able to get by until I figured it out. For this reason it's a good idea to have redundancy when you can, but the convenience of having the ability to correlate actions really can't be overstated. Like I have it setup so that twice a day my skimmer shuts off, my returns shut off, then 1 min later the feeder runs and feeds the fish. Feed Mode A kills returns and skimmer for daily frozen feeding, while Feed Mode C kills all pumps for gluing coral. That way if I forget to turn them back on it happens automatically after 20 min. Stuff like this is killer,.. and the Trident testing 4 times a day has done wonders for my stability, and the best part is that it won't get lazy and stop doing it in 6 months like I've been guilty of in the past.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Appreciate the reply, trident really has me interested.
I really do love it, and I'm sure that it will save my tank at one point. If nothing else the constant testing has helped me find a new level of stability that I couldn't even approach before.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
Just checking in, haven’t seen or heard from you lately
Hey Vinnie! Thanks for the check up! The tank is going well (Knock on wood) I'm just busy with work and I have a couple certifications I need to get before the end of the year. The one I'm working on now I took a 3 day class on, and now I have to read a 1,100 page book before I can schedule a proctored exam where someone glares at you for 2 hours while you take it. Would you believe you are not allowed coffee? They are afraid someone is going to write answers in the cup. Silly.

Another thing that I'm working on is tank related though! I haven't gotten very far, but I've had some comments on my YouTube channel asking where the next growth video is. I'm working on putting together a little video tour to introduce my new system. The plan is to film the tank from the front and give a basic description of the system, methodology and setup for a min or two, then film the setup. Once I get that one done I'll work on my first growth video of this system.

That being said, it might be about time to post another growth GIF. I'll see if I can do that today.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Glad all is well, yes I like to see a new growth video, going to have to fine your YouTube channel
For some reason my username is Whiskey2727, but if you click on the 15 months of coral growth line in my signature it will take you right to it. I have like 3 videos, all growth related. It's fun, I enjoy timelapse!

Whiskey

281 - 297 of 297 Posts