The Reef Tank banner
261 - 280 of 297 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·

He sell direct and ships. shipping is 50 dollars flat rate. if you buy enough to justify the cost and skip the middle made and their systems may help with pest. he looks to have clean systems from what he was saying.
I did buy direct from him, and I think shipping is free over $250, so I just made sure to order enough coral that I got the shipping on the house. (It wasn't hard lol). I haven't seen a ton of corals at my LFS that jump out lately, and the person who knows the names of the corals isn't there when I go in anymore, so I decided to try the online thing. I have a few places that I want to place an order at in the next few months. WWC is another one.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Hey Whiskey!

I know I mentioned I was riding my breaks as far as jumping into the SPS build....MAYBE.....
But am still shooting to down size my 'foot print' in the front room.......with a series of frag tanks down stairs in my 'Old fish room'.

Been kicking around the idea for a couple years now, and the 'planets seem to be in alignment' pushing me towards this. As I/We home school our Son, I was thinking a home based Frag business. Tech Him some first hand 'economics'. Not so much to make a living at it, but to give Him the feel for a business venture.

It wouldn't be the 'Top end Pretty colored rocks' you have, but the Plain Jane work'n man's softies for the poor working slumps lie me.
Hack
That's awesome!!! I love the frag tank, and I've made $100 just selling my excess leathers for $15 each locally on Facebook groups, and I only listed them once! There is a big market for mushrooms and leathers, especially the green pylop ones. Depending on how major the area you live in is I bet you can pay for the tank upgrade by selling off Frags that you wouldn't even notice are gone.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Yeah I saw that later free shipping over 250. Don’t take long reaching that amount. I will probably go with him.
The corals I got seemed to be pretty healthy when they arrived. I'm sure I'll be ordering again!

I probably won't order from there next though. I really want an OR tort and he doesn't have one. My next order will come from a supplier that does.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
On a different note, I was just reading about vibrant, you should run lights normally. It needs active photosynthesis. It doesn’t seem to work very well in shade areas. I been running blues a super low and just added white the other day and I can see it starting to die off. I crank up the lights for a longer period of time.

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
That fills my sails Pal, THANKS!
Hack
That's awesome!!! I love the frag tank, and I've made $100 just selling my excess leathers for $15 each locally on Facebook groups, and I only listed them once! There is a big market for mushrooms and leathers, especially the green pylop ones. Depending on how major the area you live in is I bet you can pay for the tank upgrade by selling off Frags that you wouldn't even notice are gone.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
On a different note, I was just reading about vibrant, you should run lights normally. It needs active photosynthesis. It doesn’t seem to work very well in shade areas. I been running blues a super low and just added white the other day and I can see it starting to die off. I crank up the lights for a longer period of time.
I didn't know that about the light. I would probably default to using it in a dark tank as well.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
That fills my sails Pal, THANKS!
Hack
Let us know how it goes!! We could have a whole thread just on preparing frags. I had a fun time chopping off some mushrooms to sell the other day.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I will let you know for sure, I did a major blowing off of the rock and did manually clean out some algae, I really need to vacuum of the bottom of tank. when the algae dies it turns a whitest gray and denigrates. It's been drying and only been two week, If it works I will probably use as a maintenance item . like they recommend

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Looking forward to it Whiskey...,..,.,.I think THAT could/should/would be an AWESOME THREAD!
I am NOT 'social media/internet/on-line selling/buying savvy' will have to leap into a learning curve and go find some Cliff Notes.

Hack
Let us know how it goes!! We could have a whole thread just on preparing frags. I had a fun time chopping off some mushrooms to sell the other day.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Never mind......,couldn't add this through an 'edit'.....let's pretend I did.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I will let you know for sure, I did a major blowing off of the rock and did manually clean out some algae, I really need to vacuum of the bottom of tank. when the algae dies it turns a whitest gray and denigrates. It's been drying and only been two week, If it works I will probably use as a maintenance item . like they recommend
Not a bad idea, I don't think you will be having trouble with this algae long term though. My understanding is that once the tank locks in, and you start having a little free phosphate in there it will die off. There are also lots of micro fauna that pop up when algae like this starts which will slowly nibble it down.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Looking forward to it Whiskey...,..,.,.I think THAT could/should/would be an AWESOME THREAD!
I am NOT 'social media/internet/on-line selling/buying savvy' will have to leap into a learning curve and go find some Cliff Notes.

Hack
It could be an awesome thread! Maybe I should be more active on my YouTube channel and make some videos about fragging various corals. That would probably be the best way to share my methods.

I'm not really a social media guy either, and really I'm just starting this part of the journey myself now that I can, but I searched out local club groups on Facebook and there are some ones in OKC here for reef tank corals and equipment for buying and selling. Listing up there was really easy and has been effective so far. I would look for that. Another common trick that I haven't personally tried yet, is some people list on craigslist.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Speaking of Fragging, I cut and moved around a bunch of corals today. The leathers I just pealed off the rock because they were growing into other things, but in the process I broke off a couple large pieces of Acro and glued them to Frag Plugs, I also got some Monti frags, and one of the large colonies that was growing out I moved to a better place because I bumped it off accidently. Later today I'll try and snap a new pic. I like the new look.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Ohhhhh MAN....got the old brain smoldering now Pal.....

One of our adopted children lives n breaths social media......will cut her in on a piece of the action for her to handle the 'Where n the heck do I sell these things'......I'll feed her suggestions, but Hack n I will be busy moving n fragging. Will have to decide whether to buy bulk plugs, or make them as a process of our education.....leaning THAT direction I think.

Will have to work on my YouTube thingy as well.......But we, as in TRT, will MAYBE have our own in house video hosting ability coming down the pipe line.

Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Ohhhhh MAN....got the old brain smoldering now Pal.....

One of our adopted children lives n breaths social media......will cut her in on a piece of the action for her to handle the 'Where n the heck do I sell these things'......I'll feed her suggestions, but Hack n I will be busy moving n fragging. Will have to decide whether to buy bulk plugs, or make them as a process of our education.....leaning THAT direction I think.

Will have to work on my YouTube thingy as well.......But we, as in TRT, will MAYBE have our own in house video hosting ability coming down the pipe line.

Hack
I always do plugs for things like SPS, but for leathers and mushrooms I often use little bits of live rock. You can take cheap base rock and break it up with a metal chissel and hammer. (Don't ruin nice wood chisels). You can also just smash it, or many local fish stores will sell live rock rubble at a reduced rate. Mushrooms in a pile of rubble will attach easily and even spread giving new ones to sell.

For things like Zoas, you can get plugs that are square like tile, put a bunch together and let the zoas grow from one to another. When one in the center gets too full you can shuffle them so that there is always 4 sides for the zoas to grow onto.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
I have new photos! You can see that I moved the CandyCane under the cave where it likes the light it gets better, I also removed a bunch of small leathers that were in bad spots and in the process I knocked the Anacropora down. I really liked where it was, but it doesn't need that much light, so I put it in a spot where it will do better long term and I can save the high light, high flow spot for something that needs it. Now it's the big green coral on the bottom left of the front picture.

Water Blue Underwater Natural environment Fluid

Water Plant Blue Underwater Purple

Water Vertebrate Blue Natural environment Underwater

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
Thank looks great , is that a captive breed yellow tang? I want one but the availability and prices are crazy, but it’s alway been a favorite of mine

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
in the process I knocked the Anacropora down. I really liked where it was, but it doesn't need that much light, so I put it in a spot where it will do better long term and I can save the high light, high flow spot for something that needs it.
And I thought THAT was a light hungry, can't get enough Coral? HUH? 🤔 I've a LOT to learn yet....

I've always loved Tangs, and back in the 'old days', I had a Yellow. But ever since I got back in the hobby, and sooooooo many people jumped on the 'They're ich magnet' band wagon, I haven't been able to get myself to get one......Heck, I honestly still don't know what direction I will be heading with this hobby. 2 months ago I would have bet the farm it was the SPS route......having 2nd thoughts about leaving 'softies' behind.....intrigued by a 'frag farming' idea. If Ya notice whatever it is, it involves staying in the Coral hobby....BEEN BITTEN TOO BAD.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
Thank looks great , is that a captive breed yellow tang? I want one but the availability and prices are crazy, but it’s alway been a favorite of mine
I wish!! No, this is just a regular old yellow tang, I went into a LFS and saw it there and jumped on the chance to pick it up. As I recall it only cost $75, they are one of my favorite fish.

Whiskey

261 - 280 of 297 Posts