The Reef Tank banner
241 - 260 of 297 Posts

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
So! The last couple times I've been to my LFS I didn't see any SPS coral that really grabbed me and wouldn't let go, so I decided to try something new. Online ordering.

Terrible pic, but check out what I have coming Friday!!! (It will be frags of these pieces of course)
Hope all goes well, and they show up in great shape today Whiskey. Looking forward to seeing pictures tonight when I get home from work.

Hack

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Hack, sent you a pm with a link by Randy Holmes Farley
THANKS Vinnie.....a good read as most of Randy's articles.

Makes sense, and kinda 'cuts out the middle man' in our cycle. Though I never experienced a stalled cycle, and looked forward to seeing that pretty blue color show up signaling we've left that nasty ammonia behind us.

Just that we've spent sooooooooo many years now telling folks to 'slow down....nothing good happens in a hurry in a marine tank', and now a 'shortened cycle' shows up. 🤔 :cautious: THAT just strikes me as a 'slippery slope'. I will be seeing if THIS pops up more in popular conversations with new cycles now....
Hack

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,043 Posts
Well hack, I’m pretty much in the same mindset as you as I have been cycling tanks pretty much the same for 49 years with no issues. Never had a cycle stall on me and have never rushed, I probably take longer then most people before I stick a tank. Two or three months. Which maybe a little longer then what I should.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Hey Whiskey! Be aware that since 'Capt'n Trips' came to town the shipping industry has deteriorated........Just been overwhelmed. I had always used 'Priority' mail from the USPS.....2 day you could pretty much count on. Shipped softies up n down the East coast with no issues. Did it this past spring....3-4 days, and folks received bags of 'snot'.

I won't take the chance any more.....I'm cheap, but ain't worth it. Strictly overnight.

When I get my duckies in a row again, some Blue Ridge Corals will be on my radar once more.
Hack
Huh. That's too bad about the shipping.

If you want Blue Ridge I can send some your way as well! I'm sure this colony would look better and probably be healthier if I thinned it out a little bit anyway.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
Well hack, I’m pretty much in the same mindset as you as I have been cycling tanks pretty much the same for 49 years with no issues. Never had a cycle stall on me and have never rushed, I probably take longer then most people before I stick a tank. Two or three months. Which maybe a little longer then what I should.
My biggest issue hasn't been the cycle, but starting with totally dry dead rock. I've only done this twice, but my experience says that without real live rock it takes a year or more for the tank to stabilize enough that certain corals are happy. Especially Torch/Frog/Hammer corals and Acropora.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
My frags arrived!!!! If I'm being honest they don't have the color that the mother colony does, and by themselves they don't look that great. I have high hopes for when they grow out though!

These are the photos that I made for my coffee table book of corals when they came into the tank. This is great for me to reference later, sometimes I forget names, or where I got something. It's also helpful to know cost because if I end up listing corals later it would give me a reference.

Marine invertebrates Organism Underwater Marine biology Electric blue

Purple Violet Plant Electric blue Terrestrial plant

Purple Violet Fish supply Marine biology Pet supply

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Underwater Marine biology

Vertebrate Purple Underwater Marine invertebrates Coral

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I agree with the dry rock, it seem to give me headaches on my 120 early on. But once it settled in it was nice. 120 was the only time I had to use gfo and then that cussed me problems and then had to stop using it. Not sure if dry rock was the actual problem but I think it played a role.
but now the only live rock available is gulf rock which I like better then dry. But never be as good as the rock of the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. Fiji, Marshall island and Tonga was great rock and really no pest or unwanted algae.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
My frags arrived!!!! If I'm being honest they don't have the color that the mother colony does, and by themselves they don't look that great. I have high hopes for when they grow out though!

These are the photos that I made for my coffee table book of corals when they came into the tank. This is great for me to reference later, sometimes I forget names, or where I got something. It's also helpful to know cost because if I end up listing corals later it would give me a reference.

View attachment 242221

View attachment 242222

View attachment 242223

View attachment 242224

View attachment 242225

Whiskey
They look nice, I have a really hard time remembering the names myself. I forget sometimes before I even get home from the local shop.

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I really like that lemongrass. That’s going to be beautiful. Hope it grows fast so I can hit you up. Lol
Fox has been in the game for a long time. I recently saw a video of his home and tanks. Pretty cool how he did it at home in his basement I believe it was the basement.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I really like that lemongrass. That’s going to be beautiful. Hope it grows fast so I can hit you up. Lol
Fox has been in the game for a long time. I recently saw a video of his home and tanks. Pretty cool how he did it at home in his basement I believe it was the basement.
I hope it grows fast too! It's going to be even cooler looking when it grows out hopefully. The mother colony had that green in the base, but all the growth tips were like a rich blue. It will be a real stunner.

This is from the JF website:
Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Marine invertebrates Sea anemone

That's interesting about the video, I need to look that up on YouTube tonight. I love checking out things like that.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
Here is the link . The very beginning is very unnecessary. Just a few minutes
This is an awesome Video!! Thanks for the link VWD!!!

Yeah, your right, the first part of all that was totally not needed, but I follow the guy that did the video on YouTube and he seems to do that with almost every one. There is a Golf Channel I follow that does the same. I always skip it.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts
I always thought my setup in Kansas was great , with having over tanks with over 900 gallons not counting the Seahorse tanks and fry raising system. Then I see this and realize I was pretty small. I may have gotten it bigger if we didn't relocate. My kids still refer to that house as the fish house. I'm still close friends with the guy I work with back there. He gave me the tank I'm using now to get me back into it.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 ·
I always thought my setup in Kansas was great , with having over tanks with over 900 gallons not counting the Seahorse tanks and fry raising system. Then I see this and realize I was pretty small. I may have gotten it bigger if we didn't relocate. My kids still refer to that house as the fish house. I'm still close friends with the guy I work with back there. He gave me the tank I'm using now to get me back into it.
That's awesome! I love having tank friends! I'm working on making a few more of those out here. I can't wait for things like club meetings to start again.

I was watching that video and thinking that I could have some really nice frag tanks in my dedicated fish room. I doubt I'll put together an operation like his, but maybe in a couple years I could have a side business sending out frags!

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I really like when he was talking about the lights he used and mostly just the blue channels and explaining his thoughts on it.
I did too, I found it surprising that he was saying most of the corals that we keep are collected way down deep and that they get mostly blue light naturally. I'd like to look into that a little more, but my impression was that the bulbs closer to 6700K were more "natural" for our corals, but not what they look best in.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
26,043 Posts

·
Administrator
17,221 Posts
Hey Whiskey!

I know I mentioned I was riding my breaks as far as jumping into the SPS build....MAYBE.....
But am still shooting to down size my 'foot print' in the front room.......with a series of frag tanks down stairs in my 'Old fish room'.
I was watching that video and thinking that I could have some really nice frag tanks in my dedicated fish room. I doubt I'll put together an operation like his, but maybe in a couple years I could have a side business sending out frags!
Been kicking around the idea for a couple years now, and the 'planets seem to be in alignment' pushing me towards this. As I/We home school our Son, I was thinking a home based Frag business. Tech Him some first hand 'economics'. Not so much to make a living at it, but to give Him the feel for a business venture.

It wouldn't be the 'Top end Pretty colored rocks' you have, but the Plain Jane work'n man's softies for the poor working slumps lie me.
Hack

241 - 260 of 297 Posts