The Reef Tank banner
221 - 240 of 276 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
have you got it sorted out yet?
Sort of,.. there's not a problem now, but I don't feel good about it. I plugged the FMM module into my DOS instead of my EB832 and then it came up as module #7 again, once again wiping out all my config and orphaning two more names apparently I can never use again, but it stayed online since then.

I'm frankly shocked at the reply from support basically saying these things are wildly unstable and any interference can cause them to drop offline and come back as a new module causing the old names to go into an invalid state. I would NEVER recommend using an Apex Auto top off that utilizes these sensors alone now. I can't imagine a worse failure because you don't even know what the failed state will be.

I'm really glad I didn't have that issue, and at least one of my level sensors uses the BOB. I'm going to add another emergency sensor on the BOB and then keep the optical ones, then I'm going to set it all up to email and alert but take no action in case this happens again.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
Online. Jason Fox specifically. I've never tried this before, but I think I have most of what's out on display at my LFS right now so I'm trying something new!

I'll post pics when they come in. I will probably heal them in the Frag tank for a while since I have that as an option. Get an idea for how much light they like.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
Ever thought of Blue Ridge coral?
I have a huge one! And at the front left side is a pretty sizable frag of it too. That guy is super weird because it's a soft coral that looks and grows like SPS. When I got this tank I had to ask for an ID on it.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Haven’t seen a photo of it that I can remember.
Hack and I both have been wanting to get some. What do you think of it, is it easy?

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
They are octo corals if I remember correctly with a calcium carbonate skeleton. Kind of half way between soft and hard corals.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Haven’t seen a photo of it that I can remember.
Hack and I both have been wanting to get some. What do you think of it, is it easy?
Super easy,.. Really like caring for a Soft Coral. It did better when this tank was dirtyr and had lower light, but it's still doing well now, it's just in a lower light area.
Not the best pic, but a pic:
IMG_2038 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I would love to get some of that some day.
Don't remember when or why it came to my attention but it stuck.
I remember seeing photos of it in the sea. large pillar like structures, kind of majestic.
Can't do that in small tank though.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I would love to get some of that some day.
Don't remember when or why it came to my attention but it stuck.
I remember seeing photos of it in the sea. large pillar like structures, kind of majestic.
Can't do that in small tank though.
I have a huge colony. Where do you live? We tried shipping corals using flat rate boxes with partial success,.. this is one of those that would probably make it if this is something you wanted to try.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 ·
Oh, wait! You're not even that far. You're in Texas right? I go down to Dallas for work every once in a while, and one day I want to play golf at the Winstar because I have a friend who used to run the golf program there. Maybe we can work something out.

Or if you ever get up my way we can set something up there as well. Coral trading is the one of the best parts of this hobby!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
That would probably do better in a dirtier tank like you mentioned. I always thought it was a stony coral because I have only seen the skeletons of them. Learn something new everyday.
I have been researching cycling methods lately and have found out I am behind the times. Not that the old methods don't work but nowadays nitrites don't even come into play because nitrites doesn't hard marine fish. everything I have read on other forums.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Yes, I am about an hour West of Gainesville off 82 at Lake Nocona. We can work something out.
Yes, Vinnie. Nitrites are less toxic at higher pH.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
I have a huge colony. Where do you live? We tried shipping corals using flat rate boxes with partial success,.. this is one of those that would probably make it if this is something you wanted to try.

Whiskey
Hey Whiskey! Be aware that since 'Capt'n Trips' came to town the shipping industry has deteriorated........Just been overwhelmed. I had always used 'Priority' mail from the USPS.....2 day you could pretty much count on. Shipped softies up n down the East coast with no issues. Did it this past spring....3-4 days, and folks received bags of 'snot'.

I won't take the chance any more.....I'm cheap, but ain't worth it. Strictly overnight.

When I get my duckies in a row again, some Blue Ridge Corals will be on my radar once more.
Hack

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
I have been researching cycling methods lately and have found out I am behind the times. Not that the old methods don't work but nowadays nitrites don't even come into play because nitrites doesn't hard marine fish. everything I have read on other forums.
Move over Bub, I'll pull up a stool next to Ya. Nitrates are now where it's safe to add your first Fish in your initial cycle? When did this happen?

It used to be phrased that Ammonia is BAD, and Nitrites weren't as bad......but Nitrates were groovier. 🤔
Hack

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
The topic came up on a cycle stalling because of nitrites, Randy Holme-Farley and others stated there isn’t really a need to check for it. They are saying that nitrite really doesn’t create a problem in salt water at the levels we maintain our tanks. Not like fresh water. I’ m still researching it. One reaso I alway test for it and wait. The way I have done since 1972.

221 - 240 of 276 Posts