The Reef Tank banner
201 - 220 of 276 Posts

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
THAT is what I'm picturing Whiskey.....a nice wide open sump, right there in front of you...BUT I want to figure out a layout where I can have the sump high enough to 'siphon' the bottom, as well as the reef tank not be too high to hinder my enjoyment of easy access......a balancing act.....
Hack

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
As long as your sump water level is below your tank water level it will work.
Of course gravity siphon works better the larger the differential.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
THAT is what I'm picturing Whiskey.....a nice wide open sump, right there in front of you...BUT I want to figure out a layout where I can have the sump high enough to 'siphon' the bottom, as well as the reef tank not be too high to hinder my enjoyment of easy access......a balancing act.....
Hack
I mean you can syphon a normal sump that's right on the ground as long as the water level in the sump is higher than the water level in a bucket. My sump is about 4" up which will help, I did that for leveling the floor out, but yeah.

If you don't have anything over the sump than having it up 6" or so shouldn't make much difference honestly. It's only when you need to fit a skimmer under a tank where every inch counts.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
AND!!!!
The frag tank is up and running. I put some leathers in there and a couple mushroom frags for now. Although this is connected to my main system the return is only something like 200 GPH so this tank needs to cycle as well. That rock is dry rock and it will cycle fast, but I don't move enough water in and out of the system to just be ready to go right off.

I will be getting a frag rack of some kind soon, and I have to address an issue with microbubbles being pulled all the way through the sump due to the much higher flow that I'm running now.
Water Blue Purple Fluid Table

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
That like the setups we had at the store, taller tanks but the racks did what you are describing.
This is my first Frag tank, but it seems like this will work well! I'm hoping so.
I'm already thinking that a single light like this might be a mistake. I'm not sure corals on the ends will be lit very well. I have other fixtures I'm thinking about adding to this.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
I’ll be glad when I start getting corals, will get fish and snails first. I want to make sure I’m out of any ugly stage. Will be able to deal with it more efficiently with corals.
I also adjusted my skimmer to run on the wet side.

·
Administrator
16,827 Posts
Been a long time since I've seen anyone talking clams on here....thought they fell from favor or something......excitement is building fast around here.
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
I really did the clams. Nice corals
Thank you!!!

I'm totally with you on getting through the uglies before adding a bunch of coral. I was lucky in this case because although the tank was dirty, it was totally established so I didn't have to wait.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
Been a long time since I've seen anyone talking clams on here....thought they fell from favor or something......excitement is building fast around here.
Hack
I don't think they fell out of Favor, I think they are just expensive and hard to get. ORA started breading Gigas clams so we are starting to see those in the hobby again (it's illegal to collect anymore), I think their Derassa is marina cultured (that's what I just got) and I'm not sure about any of the other ones they have.

I'm not totally sure where the Maxima came from, but I got a screaming deal on it for only $100. I usually see them over 200.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·
Yikes! My Apex bit me last night.

I have a FMM which manages two optical sensors as emergency high/low level in my sump, and two flow meters that monitor return pump performance. That module suddenly disappeared and all historical data vanished, and the outlet names that it used to have which are referenced throughout the code went into like an undetermined state. This caused alarms to flash on and off and devices to go haywire.

I've disabled the safeties to keep the tank running properly for now, but I'm thinking very hard about how to reduce the dependency on that one device. I'm thinking about especially things like level alarms need to have at least 2 different types of warnings, one using a contact switch and one using optical. At least I was a little smarter than this, I do have the normal level using a different type of input so topoff failed off instead of failing on.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
That’s one of the downfalls on this type of equipment, there is always a chance of failure. Sometimes is become more of a hassle.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
That’s one of the downfalls on this type of equipment, there is always a chance of failure. Sometimes is become more of a hassle.
It's a fine line that's for sure. Overall I've found that it makes my tank way more stable than I have the time or resources to do without it, but when it breaks it sucks.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·
Speaking of which it went down again. Something that should never happen is that it keeps coming back as different module numbers, first it was #7, now it's #11, everytime it does that it's config is wiped. This is supposed to be locked to the device so I think something is super screwed up.
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

Whiskey

201 - 220 of 276 Posts