The Reef Tank banner
181 - 200 of 276 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Lol, be much better tank now.
No doubt! I scored on this one actually, it's a 40 breader which is exactly what I was looking for and the guy listed it for $40 so I scooped it up. No waiting for the $1/Gallon sale for me!
The really dumb thing is that the overflow was $130.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
THANKS Whiskey! A real confidence builder.
These 'glass cutting' hole saws, they don't have the center drill bit like wood ones right? How do you then drill 1/2 way through each side?

I like the idea of drilling my own tank now, and having a bigger overflow so I can get my hands around in it if needed to clean or work on the plumbing.
Hack
Like Jerry said, you can flip the template to the other side. I actually drilled this one straight through, and this time I used allot less pressure than last time I drilled which really helped. Looking at the hole I'm not sure if I would go straight through on a 75, or if I'd flip. For 1/2 inch glass I know I would definitely flip, with glass that thick there is too much chance of the bit binding, but I feel like a 75 is a judgement call on that one.

Are you thinking about doing a large overflow that is inside the tank? Or one like mine that has the box on the outside?

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Those over flows rock, the one I have is rated at 1600 GPH, and I’m using a 1600 GPH pump wide open and it handles it. I know it not actually 1600 with head pressure. Takes us hardly no room and with the bean is quiet

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
Those over flows rock, the one I have is rated at 1600 GPH, and I'm using a 1600 GPH pump wide open and it handles it. I know it not actually 1600 with head pressure. Takes us hardly no room and with the bean is quiet
I 100% agree! And they leave so much space open in the tank as well. I was scratching my head and trying to figure out if there was a way to upgrade the 135's overflow, but it would be a ton of work, the tank would need to come down.

I'm shocked about my flow actually though,.. I know I'm driving this water through a real maze before it gets to the tank but my return pump is 3962 GPH and it's running at 60% power (DC pump). My measured flow is only 462gph aprox:
Rectangle Slope Wood Font Parallel

I'm curious to see how this stands up to the Iwaki pump when I get the second return in there. It's the flow version unfortunately, but it's rated for something like 562 GPH and if it follows the same pattern it might be RO speed at the return outlet.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Seems like you should be getting more, leads me to think the meter is off
I could double check by filling a bucket, but looking at the amount of water I'd say it's not far off if it is off.

It's not allot of flow honestly, about 4 times per hour turnover through the sump. I could turn it up, but I'm hoping to double it with the second return.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
I could double check by filling a bucket, but looking at the amount of water I'd say it's not far off if it is off.

It's not allot of flow honestly, about 4 times per hour turnover through the sump. I could turn it up, but I'm hoping to double it with the second return.

Whiskey
You are only using one return? One return is restricted it for sure

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
You are only using one return? One return is restricted it for sure
Yeah,.. I have one 1" return going right now because some plumbing parts are late in getting to me. I'm going to be putting in my old Iwaki pump for a second return soon, that will give me some nice redundancy.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
I'm running one line into 4 returns and it's rocks. The water movement is nice. The surface movement will aid in oxygen exchange
<i frame width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I'm running one line into 4 returns and it's rocks. The water movement is nice. The surface movement will aid in oxygen exchange
<i frame width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>
I'm doing two lines into two returns with two pumps just to have redundancy. I haven't heard the greatest things about the Jebo DCP-15000 that I have's reliability, but I love it so far. With having two pumps I will protect myself if one goes out. The Iwaki has the Japanese motor and they are supposed to last forever, even though they are not as good on power.

I have two flow pumps, one Gyre and one Tunze on the back glass blowing straight at the front glass, then the two returns are in the corners blowing at a 45 degree angle across the top of the rock. It seems to make for nice random flow especially since the Gyre and Tunze are on wave makers.

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Smart having two pumps, I have another pump if I needed it, but want to order another one as back up.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Smart having two pumps, I have another pump if I needed it, but want to order another one as back up.
I've lost tanks in the past for lots of reasons, and I'm really trying to address every issue I've had in the past with this build. It's impossible to be perfect, but in the areas where there is risk I'm impamenting ways to be alerted of failure. Like the DOS for dosing, and Trident for testing to ensure the dose is happening in the right amount. Finally I have the dosing containers and pumps setup so that if they were to leak or the hose were to be damaged in the parasitotic pump they would gravity drain back rather than gravity draining into the tank.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
OOPS!!!!

I had been working on my second return last night and I must have bumped something because randomly my first return shut down this morning. I went to investigate and the rubber hose had popped off the return pump and it was shooting out water at an alarming rate. I've never been so happy to have a deep sump,.. fortunately because the water level is so deep it prevented it from going full old faithful all over my sump room.

I'm also super lucky that I was home, normally I'd be at work by now, but I had some early meetings I had to take from home. This is exactly the sort of thing that I'm trying to avoid with this tank. It now has way too many pipe clamps, that's not happening again.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
I have another big step done! The second return is up and running. I was actually able to overwhelm my drain using both pumps at 350+ GPH so I turned the Jaebo back to 300 and all is well.

Now I'm running 350 GPH through the Iwaki, and 280 through the Jaebo.

Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior

Product Metal Auto part Nickel Pipe

Blue Purple Architecture Wheel Water

Next up is getting the Frag tank up and running, and this thing will finally be complete!

Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
25,558 Posts
Wiskey, do you buy locally and if not an buy online do you buy from a vendor that deals in quarantined livestock?

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Wiskey, do you buy locally and if not an buy online do you buy from a vendor that deals in quarantined livestock?
I do buy locally, and I dip my corals, plus I cut off the base and toothbrush any areas that don't have tissue, then cover them with super glue. This should do a pretty good job of keeping out real nasties like AEFW.

As soon as the Frag tank is up new fish or coral will go in there first. It's still tied to the same system, but it gives me a chance to light acclimate and make sure fish are eating and such.

Whiskey

181 - 200 of 276 Posts