The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I haven’t done a build thread in a while but I’m excited to kick this one off!!! I’ve wanted a work nano for a very long time, and I finally have the opportunity to do it!

I have a small 2 gallon fresh water shrimp tank on my desk at work that’s been there for about 6 years, and the tank has even become a little famous around the office. It’s been mentioned by the CEO in all hands meetings, it’s been used as part of a corporate scavenger hunt, and people drop by to see how the shrimp are doing regularly. This is it in 2014:
IMG_1209FullResized by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Now to the new setup. It will be a 10G Cubey by JBJ, but instead of using the tank as it is I’m going to build a small stand around it. This will give me a small drawer underneath for supplies, and a 6” tall hood to hide the lighting. In the back I will have a 4” wide area behind the tank where the Apex will be mounted. I will use the Apex classic from my current 75G and upgrade the 75 to the 2016 model.

The goal is to have a single power, auto topoff ¼ inch line, and network cord coming from the case, and everything to run the system is in the case. The tank will be automated to be as low maintenance as possible, it will also have multiple safeties like flow sensing return and over/under full sensors which will add to piece of mind.

Many things are undecided right now, but here’s what I have.
Tank and case layout:
Thumbnail-2 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr
Side View:
Thumbnail by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Tank as it sits, with the initial scape glued together:
Thumbnail-3 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr
Side:
Thumbnail-4 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Join me on this journey!

Whiskey

·
Retired Wanderer
17,158 Posts
Looks like a good start Whiskey.

I get down to San Marcos every three weeks. My son is there and I work in PDX.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You're in San Marcos regularly?! We should have lunch someday!!! I work in Carlsbad, just a couple miles from there.

Shoot me a PM with your availability, I'd love to meet up.
Whiskey

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
Ohoooo MAN.....WELCOME BACK WHISKEY! Will you still be keeping the 2-gallon Shrimp tank there as well? Looking forward to being out in the crowd watching this.:beer::popcorn::pint:..all the best,
Hack

·
Retired Wanderer
17,158 Posts

You're in San Marcos regularly?! We should have lunch someday!!! I work in Carlsbad, just a couple miles from there.

Shoot me a PM with your availability, I'd love to meet up.
Whiskey

My first house was in Carlsbad. 29th Sunday want to get a bite at tip top meats right across from Pea Soup Anderson’s?

I’ll send a PM

·
Administrator
46,490 Posts
Hiya Wiskey, I will be watching this build, might even inspire me to set up small nano on an unused nightstand.
Perry you and the boys still doing the deep sea fishing thing?

·
Super Moderator
26,695 Posts
Way to go, Wiskey! Gonna be fun watching your progress.

Love your shrimp tank. Really cool that the higher ups like it too!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ohoooo MAN.....WELCOME BACK WHISKEY! Will you still be keeping the 2-gallon Shrimp tank there as well? Looking forward to being out in the crowd watching this.:beer::popcorn::pint:..all the best,
Hack
Thanks Hack!! Yes, Ha. That was the first question my Boss had too. Yes, I plan to keep the little 2G shrimp tank there as well. I can have one tank on each side of my monitors.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first house was in Carlsbad. 29th Sunday want to get a bite at tip top meats right across from Pea Soup Anderson’s?

I’ll send a PM
I'm in! Send me a PM and we will figure out a time. I've heard tip top meats is supposed to be really good but I've never been.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya Wiskey, I will be watching this build, might even inspire me to set up small nano on an unused nightstand.
Perry you and the boys still doing the deep sea fishing thing?
Do it Doug!!! We can have duling nanos! lol. I'm setting the tank up at home of course, and when it's cycled I will bring it in.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Way to go, Wiskey! Gonna be fun watching your progress.

Love your shrimp tank. Really cool that the higher ups like it too!
Thanks Cath! It really is!!! I didn't expect the positive response. We've had a few others try it, but mine is the only one that lasted more than a few months.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put in a little work today, and I’m making some progress on the base of the tank. Unfortunately I very much mis-calculated the amount of 1” square hardwood I needed so at this point I had to stop and place another order.

I needed to put a screw in from two sides, so I used a wood dowel from one angle, then from the other angle used a screw. This worked perfect:
Thumbnail by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I really like these little clamps that help me glue at 90 degrees:
Thumbnail-2 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Here is the completed base:
Thumbnail-3 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

And with the tank ontop:
Thumbnail-4 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Yes, my dad had a set of 4 for making picture frames. Well worth the cost.

I used them when I built the stand for my first tank.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, my dad had a set of 4 for making picture frames. Well worth the cost.

I used them when I built the stand for my first tank.
I wish I had two more! I spent more time waiting for glue to dry than woodworking.

Whiskey

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
I know what you mean I was using 2x4s and had one on each side.
If I remember they aren't too expensive, but then it's been over 20 years since bought them.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what you mean I was using 2x4s and had one on each side.
If I remember they aren't too expensive, but then it's been over 20 years since bought them.
That's true, these little ones were only $10 each, but after this project is done it will probably be another 6 years before I need the little ones again. It makes it hard for me to spend too much on them.

Whiskey

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guess what came in the mail today!

IMG_6113 by Wiskey2727, on Flickr

I know, it looked so much better in the box, but I tore that thing open like it was Christmas morning and I was 5 looking at my very first Radio Controlled Monster Truck!!!!!!!!

To be fair this is not for my 10G, this will replace the Orange Label classic on my 75, then the classic will go on my 10G, so I have some serious work to do. It will be fun work though! Until I have time to go through the manual process of setting everything back up, it is apparently monitoring the temperature of my office and reporting it to Fusion.

Whiskey

·
Registered
12,070 Posts
Don't suppose there is anyway to save or download the settings and moving them to the new unit.

There is a way to save the config to the new unit. At least i know there is from classic to classic or 2016 to 2016. I would think it would work from classic to 2016.

Awesome on the new build! Ive been browsing FB market for a cheap used 2 to 5 gallon AIO setup. I had found one but when i went to pick it up there was a crack in the glass.:mad:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hey whiskey, that’s awesome looking. I have a drawer full of those clamps and love them. You might want to look into a pocket hole jig. I use mine on 80% of my wood projects since I bought it. Now I have 3 different ones and use them all of the time.

On other notes I really like the aquascape and rock type. What kind of rocks are those?

Great to hear from ya
Matt

1 - 20 of 200 Posts