The Reef Tank banner
941 - 960 of 964 Posts
Discussion starter · #941 ·
Summer is coming! Last night I noticed that although the temp controller was set for 79 the tank kept hitting 82. Over the last 3 weeks or so I've watched it hit 81, but 82 was an excuse to do something about it.

I already have a fan that moves air through the box which contains the tank, and I have a big hole in the top (heat rises) so I added another fan in the box blowing directaly on the water.

Now the temp controller cycles on and off keeping the temp at 80 :)
Whiskey

Discussion starter · #944 ·
Woh!!!! I forgot about this thread lol.

The tank is doing great, the Zoas are growing,.. slowly but doing well - my 6 line went carpet surfing unfortinatally but other than that everything is great. I have a little algae which is expected in a tank with no skimmer, but at the same time the coraline is growing well so I'm not worried.

Whiskey

Woh!!!! I forgot about this thread lol.

The tank is doing great, the Zoas are growing,.. slowly but doing well - my 6 line went carpet surfing unfortinatally but other than that everything is great. I have a little algae which is expected in a tank with no skimmer, but at the same time the coraline is growing well so I'm not worried.

Whiskey
thats good to hear. how do you keep the calcium up are you useing kalk or a liquid supplement

Discussion starter · #946 ·

thats good to hear. how do you keep the calcium up are you useing kalk or a liquid supplement
I use a Dow's flake substitute for CA, and I use Baking Soda for Alk, though admitidly with mostly Zoas and LPS I don't need much and the water changes do the bulk of the work.

Whiskey

Discussion starter · #947 ·
Well,.. I've made a bit of a change to this tank,.. I've added about a half inch of sand - It is my thought that the soft coral, and LPS will look better and grow faster with it. I've had little to no growth of Zoas so far in this build, and I'm hoping that the sand will aid that along :)

Whiskey

All you'd get to see is fog right now.

Whiskey
:idea:Got a canister filter? We could see it in a few hours that way:funny:

Discussion starter · #951 ·
:idea:Got a canister filter? We could see it in a few hours that way:funny:
I have a sponge that goes on the end of a powerhead, I was thinking about using that - but the tank is so small I can't fit it in there :doh:

It will clear up pretty quick,.. I should add that I'm not making the same mistake I made earler in this thread- the sand I put in is Cillica sand,... like what I use in my other tanks :)

Whiskey

Discussion starter · #953 ·
always bucking the trends, whiskey. I'm patient for pictures, so I'll just wait here until the tank clears.
It's cleared up enought that I could snap a couple pics :) Working on cropping them now.

Hey! Did you ever post the pics you were talking about the other day?

Whiskey

Tank is looking much better than the last pics I saw:D

What is growing on the powerhead?

Discussion starter · #958 ·
Tank is looking much better than the last pics I saw:D

What is growing on the powerhead?
Thanks Hop! :)

That's algae on the powerhead, it's an un-skmmed tank, these things happen I'm afraid. I kinda trim the algae but leave it there, I figure it's helping remove nutreants, and I'd rather have it there than on the LR.

Whiskey

941 - 960 of 964 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.