The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to Portland for 2.5 days and left my husband with instructions on the care for my establishing tank. When I return I find him in a near panic. . .

He found *what he thought* was the remains of my crab and/or shrimp on the sandbed and couldn't find one of my dam*sels.

He REALLY didn't want me to hear that kind of a body count and was reluctant to let me look at the tank. After looking for a few monents and after a quick head count I discovered that all that had happened was that the camel shrimp had molted.

My dam*sel, however, is still missing. I haven't even found any remains. . . My water tests are all in the green, and nothing new was added to the tank in my absence. Any ideas on where he went off to?:confused:

There are 4 camel shrimp, a crab, a cleaner shrimp, 2 other dam*sels, and a tomatoe clown. . . any possible suspects there? (the zebra dam*sel is about the size of a $.50 piece)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Hopefully the ****-sel self destructed and spontaneously combusted.... :D

If there was a territorial dispute and it happened early on, the shrimp and crabs would have made quick work of the remains...

I've had a Blue Fin ****-sel fall victim to a powerhead attack... It wasn't pretty.. but the small bits that came out were perfect candidates for rapid decompisition...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd considered the powerhead route, but the spit out remains (if any) were gone before I returned.

I wasn't sure if the crab and shrimp could handle a whole carcass, but if so I won't worry about it too much, I guess that's one less I have to worry about later :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
visit my site mammaduck. go to the invert section.

i havea video of my emerald crab eating a porcelain crab that was even bigger than him. by morning there was not a trace anywhere in the tank.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ugh... that video's in .wmv format...
There are a few of us that aren't running MS Windows, eh... ;)
Luckily I had VirtualPC so I could play it... according to MicroSoft, there's no reason for them to further develop Windows Media Player for the Mac, so we're stuck with a hobbled WMP that won't play 90% of Microsoft's formats.
Ah well... I got to see it anyway... that was pretty gruesome... kinda like watching Animal Planet. :D

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i had also made a .mov version, but it looked sort of crappy (but that's to be expected with a mac format :funny:) i also had made a .rm version, but i didnt bother putting either up on the server, sicne MOST of the world is using microsoft. i know i know, bill is trying totake over the world, but whatcha gonna do :rolleyes:

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Yeah..... he's a serious pistol alright...

When I feed him by hand, he doesn't hit the food like he does when I would feed him with the feeding stick... Now, he won't eat from the feeding stick unless he's very hungry... he likes to be hand fed...

I'm not a Mac user.... I've got 4 PC's and a PC laptop here in my home office... I just like the .mov format... it compresses very well and it's high quality...

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
buzz, what program/settign sare you using when you make mov's? anytime i make an mov, it's ungodly large, and bad quality.

that's why i always do wmv. excellant compression, and quality. problem is that you need the latest media player to view them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Heya Jay,
Well, I'm not Buzz, but I did a quick check of the movie properties and it's a 15fps MPEG-4 video (with a data rate of 30Kb/sec).
I've used the Sorenson codec before also, which is a fantastic codec (it's the one Apple uses for their Quicktime Movie Trailers).
As far as sound goes, Apple uses QDesign Music 2 at 22,050KHz on their trailers (Buzz didn't have sound in his).
If you have Quicktime Player, you can select 'Get Movie Properties' from the 'Movie' menu which will show you all the codec information for whichever movie you have opened at that time.

Another thing about Quicktime Player... if you're tired of the 'Get Quicktime Pro Now'... ad showing up every time you launch the player, there's a way to defeat that without actually buying Pro...
Just set your system clock ahead like 20 years or so, launch Quicktime Player and click the 'Later' button when the ad for Pro comes up... then reset your system clock to normal. Now you shouldn't see the ad for Pro anytime again until the year 2023. :D
At least this used to work in the old versions... Apple may have gotten wise and removed this 'feature' (or found some way to work around it).
HTH

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
thanks reefer addict! i'll have to do a few trial runs and see if i can get a better quality/rate combo. i'd like to be able to post videos that more folks here can actually view.

the first time i posted that, it was unreal how many poeple couldnt view it.

too many mac users here :rolleyes: this should be called the mactank :funny:

Mammaduck: any update on the lost damsel?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still MIA. . . I think she's toast :)

Took a look at your crab file. . . impressive, I had no idea a crab that size could eat so much in one sitting! couldn't get Buzz's lionfish file to work though :(

"Uncle Bill" still runs my computer world :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.