The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ranco Temp. Controller on my main tank and the temp. reading is 80F, well I bought a Lifegard Little Time and Temp Aquarium Thermometer

and put the temp. probe in the same area as the Ranco temp. sensor, to my surprise, I'm getting 2 completely different temp. readings.

The Ranco says 80F while the Lifegard temp. says 77.9F and the cheap sticker temp. sensor on tank glass says 78F.

Which would you trust?
Is there a reliable temp. sensor/device that I can use to get the actual temp. of my tank?

Many Thanks,

Beng

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Actually temp doesn't really matter as long as your not on the extreme low or extreme high end. Just want it to be as stable as possible.

So if you keep temp around 80 it really doesn't matter if it is 1-2 degrees +/- as still in the acceptable range.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Get a regular floating thermometer! Trust me that one you show there is no better that the sticker, I had one and it was over by 4-5 degrees all the time.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went to cole-parmer and ordered a high quality laboratory thermometer with a range of between 72 and 82 degrees. I trust it, and I use it to keep an eye on all my digital ones. That said, keep you temp stable at the best quality thermometer given temp, and if the animals thrive, keep it there.

·
TCMAS Member
3,023 Posts
This happened to me a week and a half ago. I had the digital one (corallife) you were using, a temp controller (won brothers), another industrial temp controller, and a glass thermometer. None of the readings matched, with the highest variance at 3 degrees.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Woow this is a real eye opener, all this time I thought there was a standard where 80 degrees on one temp. device will also mean 80 degrees on another temperature device. I'm getting a laboratory thermometer shortly to serve as a standard for my other temp. devices.

Many Thanks everyone,

Beng

1 - 11 of 11 Posts