The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
trying to figure out a skimmer for my 75 BB LPS/SPS.

So far I like the Octopus extreme 160 and 200.

They also make the recirculating ones...

I have heard good things about Euro-reef. What would be a good model for my size?

I plan to 'power feed' the inverts.

Did Octopus just come out with a new line/updates of skimmers?

· originally original
990 Posts
I think the Extreme 160 is the best bang for the buck out there, I bought the 200 and I love it, but I would have gotten the 160 if it had been available then. The 200 is a bit big for my setup.

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
I agree with Doug, get the biggest you can. Keep in mind that many, if not most, manufacturer over rate the capability of the skimmers they sell. It would take a huge skimmer to over do it and you wont! I personally believe that skimmers are one item that you get what you pay for a great deal of the time. Dont skimp, Ive said this before and Ill say it again, I got my first skimmer on the advertised rating and the price. Then I got a real skimmer. Then I got a real good skimmer. Spent some money along the way i didnt have to. Aldo consider that if you have even a glimmer of upgrading to a bigger tank at some point (you know you wil want to in a couple weeks!) Then that is another reason for a lage skimmer. It will save you money in the long run.
When you find the one you want, consider the gph it processes and design your sump and return system around that rate.

· Reef Nut
1,255 Posts
I know a lot of people on this forum are using the Octopus/MSX, but you should at least look at the Vertex IN 180. It's a terriffic skimmer, very good quality (built by the same co that makes the Bubble King) and very quiet. It runs great w/ no mods. It's in the same price range as the Octo/MSX 200 and very similar in size.

· Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im worried about buying too large a skimmer for the 75 and not being able to efficiently keep a foam head on the skimmer. I dont see point in having to over over feed the system in order for the skimmer to work properly. i don't think that statement is entirely true but keep the suggestions coming=]

any real differences between MSX and octo?

· Tarpon
3,852 Posts
Im leaning toward the extreme 200. i'll be using a 40G breeder sump, frag area inside with a 150MH that runs opposite of the display lights.

the bubble king is far outside my budget. lol
yeah......its outside of most of our budgets.......but it sure is sweet. If I win the lottery...I will buy everyone on this post a bubble king skimmer. :) (IF I win the lottery)

· Premium Member
15,740 Posts
yeah......its outside of most of our budgets.......but it sure is sweet. If I win the lottery...I will buy everyone on this post a bubble king skimmer. :) (IF I win the lottery)
"post":thumbup:

· Tarpon
3,852 Posts
hey hey now...lets not get greedy, I would be happy with one. Id like to see how well they actually work. 1500+ should be one hell of a skimmer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.