The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again,
Well I'm set to start my 12 Gallon Nano Cube in one week, and I'm looking tings over. I've read so many threads about protein skimmers and it seems as though everybody is recommending the use of one. The only problem is that I don't want to spend $100 on one. I've found some in tank skimmers on Ebay for around $20 from companies like Lee's and Aquarium Systems and Visi-Jet, but I don't know exactly what to buy. are these too cheap? If it will help my tank out to spend $30 on a skimmer, that's not a problem. My other issue is how tall should my skimmer be and what skimmers will fit under the hood that is on my JBJ Nano-Cube. Any sugestions as to which cheap skimmer to buy and where to bbuy it as well as any other options that I have, please let me know. Also what about a much larger external? Thanks Again!!!

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
wow, under a hundred for a skimmer. are you good at DIY? most of the really inexpensive skimmers need to be hung inside the aquarium. most sumps are not tall enough to handle them. this can take up some valuable realestate. these skimmers also run on an airpump. which is not necessarily a bad thing, but true airstone powered skimmers generally need to be much taller in order to get the increased contact time. with these smaller ones the skimmer is only removing a very small percentage of the toxins.

the more expensive ones can be hung on the back of the aquarium Ramora's and Bakpak's. these also have a pump that supplies the bubbles for the skimmer. these are generally your best bet for the smaller aquariums.

even DIY'ing a skimmer will cost you clost to $70. almost all of that is in the pump.

if you are hard set on spending around $20-30 then i would have to suggest the visi-jet, did i just say that. i had one it works per sey, but it is not what i would call easy to use, or set it and leave it. it is realy sensitive to water level fluctuations. the good thing about it is that it uses a venturi pump for the bubbles. you will not need to keep getting airstones.

if at all possible save up and get a Remora or a Bakpak. these are much better skimmers. they are well worth the extra money.

hth,

G~

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback I think I will save up and get one of the more expensive Hang-on type because I really don't have enough room to be puttinga skimmer in my tiny little tank. Thanks!!!

·
ROOTS...ROCKS...REGGAE
1,215 Posts
I'd skip the skimmer and do regular, good-sized water changes. The cheaper ones are not that good IMO. Do this until you can find a used skimmer. Bob

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
I had a visi-jet. 'nuff said. :rolleyes:

I concur with those who say just keep up with regular maintenance and don't worry about a skimmer.

Jenn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your feedback. Exactly how much water and how often for the water changes? The figure that I have been told and read in multiple places is 10% once a week. Does this sound right? Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts