The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told the Maxi-Jet 1200 gets too hot and was wondering what you guys think. Is the Maxi-Jet 900 strong enough? And is it even an improvement from what it comes with?
I just got the tank yesterday and want to start cycling this weekend. And I don't want to have to swich Powerheads when the water is in the tank already.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm not if the heat would be an issue, however the electricity consumption doubles from the 900 to the 1200 with only slightly more water circulation. I like the maxi-900's for the power consumption savings.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
It's really not difficult to switch the pump when the tank has water in it - I ran the stock pump for over 2 years until it quit on me (Pump would have lasted longer I think if I cleaned it once in a while)

For soft corals the stock pump should be plenty of flow

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was told the Maxi-Jet 1200 gets too hot and was wondering what you guys think. Is the Maxi-Jet 900 strong enough? And is it even an improvement from what it comes with?
I just got the tank yesterday and want to start cycling this weekend. And I don't want to have to swich Powerheads when the water is in the tank already.
i am in the same quandry. I think i will stick with the stock for a while till some extra money comes around or my hand is forced i.e. failure:eek:
anyway what size is the stock pump anyway?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have the stock pump running through my chiller and through the outlet, plus i was running a MJ900 through through the display for more movement. I ended up taking the MJ900 out and replacinging it with a Koralia 1 which pushes out 600GPH instead of the 230.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts