The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
I run Black Diamond GAC 24/7 and change it about monthly. I also rinse the GAC until it is absolutely clear, then I rinse it some more. There have been time when I didn't rinse it well, and some of the dust wound up in the display tank....No ill effects, just not what I wanted to happen.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
ESV here.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I have no brand preference. I do not have a skimmer so I use the carbon, its never caused any problems.

·
Fish Killin' Reef Keeper
358 Posts
Nyles said:
The only thing that scares me with black diamond is if you throw a granual in a phosphate test it will within 5 seconds register phosphates.

I hear kent won't, but I have yet to try it.
Really now?? I have not heard this before, guess I might try it though. Would I just use RO water, test w/ Salifert kit and then drop in a piece of GAC?? Anyone else out there know about this at all. EDIT:Any Kent users care to try this out and verify findings?

Thekid55- when you run a bag of carbon in your sump, you will see quite a difference in your water clarity. GAC traps the Dissolved organic compunds that will make your water "less clear". I have a mixed reef of SPS, LPS, softies, zoos and mushrooms and have no ill effects. In fact GAC is recommended when you have chemical warfare between corals, common in mixed reefs. GAC will "polish" your water and rather quickly, I always notice a difference when I change out mine each month or so.

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I tested my water with salifert, and it had "0" ph04

So I figured what the heck, threw a couple granuals in and as they hit the bottom a blue streak was tailing the pieces to the bottom, after a few minutes it turned quite blue.

If your bored I guess you could thoroughly rinse it and then test again. I run the carbon about 3 days a month, never see a diference, but the water is already clear.

ReelFreak said:
Really now?? I have not heard this before, guess I might try it though. Would I just use RO water, test w/ Salifert kit and then drop in a piece of GAC?? Anyone else out there know about this at all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts