The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so we all know I have way too many fish for a 55 gallon. I have a 120 in the garage that I cant really set up until I actually get a house of my own, which is currently an impossibility with my husband going to school in Waco (1.5 hrs away from where we live now, and I am not moving to waco for two years because I just got this job that I love and I wont quit it). So, he has to get an apt. up there, and I am living with my sister in her new house in Elgin starting January. I would set up the 120 there, being that I would be there for two years, but there is a chance that my husband's dad may be giving us a house that is almost paid off. the only thing is that may not happen for a while yet, we have no predictions on it. So you see my dilemma. too many fish and cant set up the 120 only to have to potentially move it within a matter of months.

hypothetically speaking, which fish would YOU keep in a 55 gallon reef with minimal LR and corals? heres the current load:

1 3" sailfin tang (my husband's fish)
1 3" scopas tang (fish my husband bought me)
1 royal gramma
1 blue assessor ($42 fish I bought cuz I love assessors and no pet store ever carries them)
3 green chromis (just look cool in a reef tank)
1 scooter dragonet (kind of attatched, eats formula one and frozen brine as a bonus)
1 clownfish, named scarlet, nursed her back from health from oodinium, but lost her mate, Rhett. kind of attatched to her too, great personality, heres a pic of her poking her head out of the water)

cut and paste the link at the bottom of the page to see all my fishies pictures.

Attachments

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
drags toe in dirt, says in small voice: "but I LIKE the tangs."

I am thinking, lose the scopas and chromis to start with. I think that's a start. then we will see where to go from there. I definitely want to keep the gramma and the assessor and the dragonet. I love scarlet, but I may adopt her out to a good home. possibly my mother in law....? so that would leave me with:

assessor
sailfin
dragonet
gramma

is that too much for a 55, and a future 120?

oh, and just for you casey: taking out the plastic plants tomorrow, will post pics :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
Sounds like you've made up your mind but, the tangs will outgrow that tank - don't think they'll be happy there for the next 2 years in any case... I'd ditch them and keep the chromis ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,752 Posts
Sorry, ditto on the tangs ,,,,for now, wait for the bigger tank.
umm, do wat i say, not wat i do,,,ya can't see my 75 from there can ya? :rolleyes: ;)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I know it's hard to part with fish you really like but you might want to look at it from the maintenance standpoint too, Erin. With your husband working and living out of town, you're going to be driving back and forth to visit (I hope) which is going to take up more time in your already-busy life. Tangs produce a lot of waste and need good water quality which takes time and attention to the tank. I'm not saying that you're going to neglect the tank but there's a real possibility that you'll have less time for it and the tangs may suffer the consequences.

Alice

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yep... I gotta go with the tangs. Not that I didn't do the same thing, but tangs in a 55 borders on cruelty. I did it and soon had to get rid of it because of the space they require.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks all for your input. I was really hoping to be able to set up my 120 gallon but if it for sure wont be for 6 mos or longer, will get rid of the scopas for sure, and sailfin if I have to. there will always be more sailfins...I have to decide, I will let y'all know what happens...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.