The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to buy two external pumps (one for my return & one for a closed loop.) I’ve been trying to decide between the cheaper styles like the Gen-x mak-4 & Blueline 1100 pumps, :rolleyes: Or the heavy duty styles like the Iwaki MD 55 or Blueline 55 HD:rolleyes:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Iwaki is a good external pump. Like squid said, don't go cheap on this one, else you will be going cheap on it every six months.....

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You'll get what you pay for

Thanks All :beer: That's what I thought also :thumbup:

Lise:
Figuring the plumbing & height, I will have around 8' head on the return & depending if I drill the tank for the closed loop of go over the side? I'll have between 2' & 8' head for the closed loop. This is going to be for a 90gal AGA RR.
I'm figuring on pressure rated pumps rated for 500~600 gph from each @ 10' head just to give me a little room for error. Of coarse I will have a ball valve on each so I can control the flow! Thanks!

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
I have heard that on closed loops head does not make as much of a difference, pipe diameter and turns make a difference, but I believe that total head pressure does not.

HTH

Jon

·
Registered
206 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's a great site. If it's not in the link section here it darn well should be. Thanks for the tip.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts