The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi ive been doing research on which clownfish i want to go with for my aquarium once its up and running and ive had a few contradicting opinions, im interested in either a pair of black clarkii, a pair of pink skunks or a pair of occellaris clowns, ive read online a 30 gallon is the minimum for a clarkii, but a few different people from multiple LFS have told me a pair of clarkii's would do fine in a 31g mixed reef when i was under the impression 30g is for a single specimen, granted the female will be the bigger fish, but i just wanted a few opinions would the pair of clarkiis be ok in my tank ?, id be fine if it was just the two clowns also .. if not .. id be inclined to go with the pink skunks but have read that they are a semi-agressive clown that is quite shy ?, so im guessing they wont be inquisitive and out like a pair of occellaris would be right ?, what are they actually like .. as in there not going to be hidden 99% of the time right ? .. id really like to be able to go with the black clarkii pair as ive seen them in person at my LFS and there a great looking clownfish .. and definitely my favourite with the skunk following closely behind .. could anyone offer some input on either of these fish ?, there temperament ? would the clarkii pair indeed do well in my tank or was i right in thinking id be better off with a skunk pair ?

only other thing ill be adding is a coral banded shrimp, clean up crew &
depending on which clowns i get a single barrier reef chromis.

also what would the best cleanup crew be for a size tank like this im thinking just two turbo snails to start off with as ill be vacuuming the sand bed myself regularly, in the long run would two or three turbo snails be sufficient for a tank like this ?

thanks in advance guys !

tank specs: :dance::banana::rimshot:
mini reef 120
skimmer: BM Curve 5
return: Nyos viper 2.0
heater: Eheim jager 100w
powerhead: 1x Tunze 6040 with controller.
lighting: kessil A360W
ato: Tunze osmolator nano

what do you guys think of my setup ?
wont be upgrading for a long time so i went with better quality equipment
that should serve me well, super excited to get it up and running.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If you make them the only fish in the tank then I'd go for the Clarkiis. They're a cool fish, but can be aggressive and territorial so I think having the tank just be there's would work out nicely. I'm not sure about the pink skunks (though there was a member that had a pair that would attack his hand and draw blood...). If you went with the occelaris that would give you more stocking options and allow you to add another fish or two as they're the more laid back of the clowns.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
If you are thinking Mexican type turbo snail 2 will be too many they need a lot of algae or they starve.
I would go with asterea or trochus, Cerith, some detritovours such as Nassarius, and bumble bee. And possibly a brittle, or serpent star for detritus control.
Don't add a lot at one time and build them up slowly if there is a lot of what they eat in the tank. The more diversity in the clean up crew (CUC) the better. A few species of herbivores, detritovours etc.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
If you make them the only fish in the tank then I'd go for the Clarkiis. They're a cool fish, but can be aggressive and territorial so I think having the tank just be there's would work out nicely. I'm not sure about the pink skunks (though there was a member that had a pair that would attack his hand and draw blood...). If you went with the occelaris that would give you more stocking options and allow you to add another fish or two as they're the more laid back of the clowns.
Yeah, what Chi said ;)

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
If you are thinking Mexican type turbo snail 2 will be too many they need a lot of algae or they starve.
I would go with asterea or trochus, Cerith, some detritovours such as Nassarius, and bumble bee. And possibly a brittle, or serpent star for detritus control.
Don't add a lot at one time and build them up slowly if there is a lot of what they eat in the tank. The more diversity in the clean up crew (CUC) the better. A few species of herbivores, detritovours etc.
And Jerry too

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
For a tank that size I would probably start off with 3-5 Trochus snails and maybe one Scarlet hermit crab. Use something like a Mag-Float to clean the glass and either stir up or vacuum your sand bed on a regular basis too. If everything goes as planned you won't have to add any more janitors to the tank later on. If you just want to add a bunch of pets to the tank though then by all means knock yourself out, but don't forget that your the best CUC member that tank will ever see.
A far as the clownfish go you might want to stick to some of the smaller varieties. Ocellaris, Percula etc. FWIW I'm really digging those Frostbite clowns at the moment. I already have a breeding pair of Ocellaris clowns in my 20 gallon tank, but I'm thinking about adding a pair of these to my new 20 gallon long as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW !! lots of replies and good advice thanks everyone, i think ill be going with the clarkii clownfish pair as there the most appealing to me to be honest, although i wont be getting the black ones as the female will already be atleast 3.5-4" considering the shop gets in wild pairs, plus i think id prefer standard coulored tank bred clarkiis .. so im going to ask him when the time comes to get me in 2 young clarkiis around the 2" mark .. really looking forward to it now i know ill be ok with the clarkiis for certain as the tank will be all theirs :D, and in regards to CUC thanks for the tips everyone that replied, the main reason i was looking at going for the mexican turbos is because i thought id be ok with just one or two, but since they eat primarily GHA i guess that is a good point since i dont plan to have it in the tank lol, so anyway ive decided for my cleanup crew ill just keep it simple and add 3 trochus snails & 2 nassarius snails to stir up the sand a little, i already have a flipper to clean the glass etc & siphon to vacuum the sandbed once every two to three weeks so the snails for the sand are more to stir it up a little between maintenance im thinking, would i be ok adding this cleanup crew pretty much right after the cycle is complete ? or should i do it slowly ?, also since im planning on adding a coral banded shrimp .. preferably along with the cleanup crew/same time ???? also at this stage with these critters in there would you guys suggest feeding the tank once a day or twice a day so the scavengers have some grub/to keep good bacteria going before adding my fish ?

all the best guys thanks alot.
learning lots and lots .. more reading about the hobby tomorrow in preparation for my first reef :read::read:. seems never ending lol !!

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
With a 20 gallon (really all nano tanks) you will need to do water changes more than every 2-3 weeks more like weekly.
Don't add your clean up crew until they have something to eat.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Water changes will be weekly friday/saturdays with rodi ..sand bed is the only thing ill be vaccing every two weeks .. or i might just do it along with each wc ? .. would it matter so much if i did the ssnd weekly or fortnightly ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts