The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took me near on 25 years to track down a 'memory'....a perfect Scotch I once sipped decades ago, in a local pub that burnt down, and I failed to ask the important question....'What is this stuff?'. I have long since left my drinking days well behind me, and have found the joy in sipping an agreeable drink now and again for the sheer sake of enjoyment of what it is....no longer just to rush the alcohol to my brain. I've spent years as a Scotch 'snob' only sampling single malt Scotches in search of that illusive memory. I tasted a lot of agreeable bottle over the years, and yeah, a few became one of those 're-gifting' things. But by a turn of fate I found that 'memory'.....it was at Our Daughters wedding this past spring, and one of the Scotch offerings they served was a 'blend'....I was aghast! A blended Scotch! Well it turned out it was Johnnie Walker Red. AND hang my head in shame, wasn't toooooo bad. And in fact I thought it had potential, so the next time I hit the store I found it, and saw it's older brother next to it....Black. Welp, that stuff was my old 'memory'. Mr. Johnnie Walker Black. BUT, that's beside the point.....In my hunt I have come across some fine Scotches, and I'll admit to liking my single malts, and from the Isle of Islay comes some of me favorites. A loud 'peaty' aroma and taste. My favorite has been a Laphroaig 10. Well tonight I opened a bottle of Lagavulin 16......Just in case there are others out there 'searching', let me tell Ya, they have found a way to put heaven into a bottle. And if'n anyone was stumbled upon some other wonderful Scotches, please feel free to share your thoughts and comments. Here's to those searching ......:beer:
Hack

Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
I like single and blended scotch, I Like JW black and double black, So many good one out there. Unlike Bourbon, Bourbon is pretty much bourbon , Scotch on the other hand are vastly different.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey Vinnie! WOW, glad to see you made the trip way down here to the TRT cellar. :beer: Agreed about Scotches v Bourbons, though if'n you get down to the assembly line bottom shelf Scotches maybe not so much. I knew in the beginning of my search for that 'memory Scotch' ie perfect Scotch, that it had a 'charcoal' taste to it....my only memory of it as well as it was delicious. So my search over the years kept me hunting 'peaty' Scotches, ruling out of hand the Highlands offerings, and concentrating on the coast, and islands. I was 'tipped' a 10 yo Glenmorangie, circa early 70's back in the mid 80's that I finally uncorked in the early 2000's......couldn't spit that swill out fast enough to avoid a negative memory of it. So other than a few samplings at various liquor store settings over the years, never again sampled any of the Highlands offerings. In honesty, I highly doubt that the JW Black is the 'exact' Scotch I had way back on that evening in my memory....I have a vague memory of it being a normal looking tapered bottle as opposed to a squar'ish bottle, as well as there was a white or light grey squar'ish lable on it, and don't recall it coming from the 'top shelf' but below the bar. All kinda ruling it out as a Johnnie Walker....BUT the taste, the taste as I close my eyes and sip it satisfies my memory, and concluded my search for it. Who knows, one day I may stumble upon it....
I do know now that You mentioned it, I will have to try a Double Black.
Hack

Registered
I've had a few decent scotches in my day. Personally, I prefer single malts, but to each their own. The Glenlivet 18 year is good and the 21 is even better, but the price is very much so a deterrent from having either too often. The best I have ever tried was Maccallan 25 year. I ordered a double in a bar one time, not realizing it would be an expensive drink. The bartender had to go to the back and ask about it because it wasn't in the computer or in the book. The manager just told her to charge $50/shot. A $100 double isn't necessarily something I was expecting but wasn't bad, considering a 25 year bottle of Macallan runs about $1000. After doing the math using a 750ml bottle and giving the standard 1.48oz shot, the bar only makes just over $850/bottle. I guess they may have also gotten a very good deal, considering they didn't pay retail for the bottle. Either that, or the manager was unaware of the value of that bottle of scotch.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Studda....I'm with Ya on the 'single malts'. A Glenfiddich 12 is my standard choice around here, with a regular visit the 'Islay' offerings I have as my favorites. BUT, on occasions as you mentioned with the price points, I did lay in a Family size bottle of the JW'Black', for an evening sip with no special occasion required to uncork....ACTUALLY it isn't even a cork, but a cap. The closest I ever came to trying one of them hidden top shelf 'nose bleed' offering like you mentioned was at a local Scotch tasting at a liquor store, and they insisted a Glenfiddich 25, @ $500.00 was the 'memory' I was hunting for.....it wasn't all that, actually not even any of that. Their 15 and 18 year olds just sit on my shelf also, seldom opened except for at a guest's request. I'm a simple man with simple pleasures. :beer:
Hack

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.......Oooooops, me bad!:doh: SORRY for not leading off with this Studda....THAT'S exactly what I was hoping to see on this thread.....Thoughts of those bottles us 'mortal men' would seldom, if NEVER get a chance to sample....and the look on your face when the bar keep said, '$100.00', I ain't sure what is was, but my response probably would have been more along the lines of, 'NO THANKS....you can put it back in the bottle!'.
Hack

Registered
'NO THANKS....you can put it back in the bottle!'.
Hack
That was my first instinct. But I had already drank at least half in the time it took her to get a price. She came out with HUGE eyes and said, "It's $50 a shot". I said that I could handle that. Then she told me it was a double and it would be $100. I think I did tell her, jokingly, that she could pour it back in the bottle. Funny story; I went back into the bar several times and would always think about buying another double just because it was good (I was also in the army at the time and blew so much money). I ordered a double one night and the bouncer told me that I looked a bit intoxicated and needed to leave. I politely agreed, downed my $100 double, and left the bar without paying my tab. I wouldn't even think about doing something like that now. I was in my early 20s then and would never do it again, for reasons of legality and morality.

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like single and blended scotch, I Like JW black and double black, So many good one out there. Unlike Bourbon, Bourbon is pretty much bourbon , Scotch on the other hand are vastly different.
Thanks to your tip Vinnie, I dropped the hint, and was rewarded with a bottle of Double Black as a Father's Day gift from my Daughter....Ahhhhhhhh! :beer:
Hack

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excuse me as I blow the dust off this thread......

Just in case anyone is following along, VERY PATIENTLY, and in search of their own perfect Scotch, I feel an update is in order, as my collection has grown, and my taste buds have judged.

Starting with that JW Double Black....nice, a wee hint of 'peat', and easy to drink, but with the price mark above their standard 'Black', I prefer their standard.

So along with the above bottles, and the Lapahroarig 10, Lagavulin 16, I have recently acquired, and tasted an Ardbeg 10. That stuff is nice. All from the Isle of Islay, and have concluded that may be a nice place to retire.

Here's to Y'All,
Hack

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HiYa barongan.....THANKS for stopping by! M'Ville seldom gets visitors/followers way down here.

Have you any personal preferences, or recommendations of a Scotch you have tried or is a go to for you?
Hack

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah yeah, THANKS, but it's MY THREAD old or not! 馃 馃榿 Like GOOD Scotch......it ages well.

Got to knock the cob webs off just in case we get new visitors round here. 'Haven't tried any new 'offerings' in quite a while, but my Daughter and Hubby are doing a fantastic job keeping me well stocked. And after a few years of allowing my taste buds to become opinionated, I've decided by the amount of replenishing going on round here that Laphroaig 10 is my 'go to'.
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Fluid Drink

I'll actually retract my earlier statement about nothing new......My boss last week blessed me with a bottle of Glenlivet 12. THOUGH I haven't cracked it open yet.
Bottle Liquid Glass bottle Wine Ingredient

Hack
馃馃憤

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gave up my 'gett'n drunk' days decades ago. But I've learned to enjoy a dram of Scotch on occasion for the sake of enjoying it.

Long story short.......I spent most of my adult life trying to chase down a memory. Had a 'glass' at a local pub before I went in the Navy.....they had the audacity of burning down before I got to find out what that Scotch was.....,a vague recollection it wasn't a 'top shelf' item.....nothing special about the looks of the bottle....BUT the 'smokiness' hooked me.

I finally at our Daughter's wedding THANKS to the concierge they gave us, got put on the right track in tasting a Johnny Walker Red.....not the stuff, but the hint of peatiness. Lead me to the offerings from the Islay coast of Scotland. THOUGH the offering I can't guarantee, BUT the flavors I remember. And that Laphroaig embodies it.
Hack

Administrator
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WORDS of WISDOM! Wish that they could bottle an offering Doug that could......but that's where Friends take over and do what a bottle can't......ALWAYS be there for you, even the 'next day'. 馃憤
Hack

Registered
Red Tiger Oscars and Cichlids
Ditto. I am a "happy drunk" when the occasion arises. I do like a little silly every now and then. Loading up when I am in a bad spot never gets me any farther ahead and I have been just where you are at the moment. Hack is right, friends are the go to, myself included Pal. Get ahold of me anytime.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts