The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I've got a 37 gallon tank that I will use for a refugium and want to get it drilled, unless someone have a cheap 40 gallon for sale ;) . Does anyone know where it's cheapest to get tanks drilled? (With bulkhead or drilling only.)

-- Thomas

·
big fishy
941 Posts
Something Fishy charges around $30.00 for drilling and bulkhead.

Ken

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I have two 40g breeder drilled that I will be getting rid off but not yet as I am housing some corals in there temporarily for a friend.

Depending on your timeframe as to when you need it, They should be available within the next 2-4 weeks ( $40 each firm ). I have 1 40g breeder drilled in the left side panel near the back for a external pump. The other 40g breeder has two holes on the back panel near the top corners for overflows. I can drill additional holes if you like ( these tanks only. not volunteering to drill someone elses or a new tank as I do not want the risk even though it is low risk of breaking it ).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
souk: How much?

kjdeut: That's going to be expensive. $60 for two holes, that's not too far off the price of a new 40 gallon :(

David: That sounds veeeeery tempting, but I was shooting for sooner than 2-4 weeks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think I want a 45 gallon. I want more surface area, and the 45 gallon is a tad tall too. Thanks for the notice though! :)

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
I can maybe sell you a 40 gal breeder now for 40 but then I would like dibs on the 40 with the single side drilled from David...The 40 I have now is like NEW condition... you can ask FastFish720... I bought it from him a couple months ago for a q tank...He sold it to me for $50.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Norge said:
kjdeut: That's going to be expensive. $60 for two holes, that's not too far off the price of a new 40 gallon :(
Yeah but a new tank wouldn't be drilled either. You'd be back to square one.

If you take it somewhere to get drilled. $25 a hole is going to be the typical going rate. Never heard of any glass shop or LFS do it for any cheaper.

You can drill yourself, no real special tools required. A drill press is nice but can do it with a regular drill if your careful. You can get the drill bit for about $45 Mail order. It should drill about 10-15 holes depending on the thickness of the tanks. So two or more holes you've already paid for itself. Of course there is still the chance of breaking the tank but usually LFS or glass shop won't guarantee breakage anyway. Providing you have confirmed the place where your drilling is not tempered the risk is pretty low...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey David, don't come here and confuse me with facts ;)

Just before you posted, I called Harmon Glass, and they charge $20 per hole. ****.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.