The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am planning my new tank 4x2x2 (freshwater) and I am running a sump, I am about to order the tank but I don't know what size and where to drill the holes. I can put the glass overflow in my self but don't know what size and height etc every thing needs to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especiall plumbing tips...

Regards Darren

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
What kind of overflow are you putting in? Most of the time the holes are in the bottom pane of glass, but if you're doing a coast-to-coast overflow then it's a different tune.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Hi there,

I am planning my new tank 4x2x2 (freshwater) and I am running a sump, I am about to order the tank but I don't know what size and where to drill the holes. I can put the glass overflow in my self but don't know what size and height etc every thing needs to be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especiall plumbing tips...

Regards Darren
Be careful with the filtration on the sump with freshwater and feeding. There isn't as much need for skimming purposes (don't need a large overflow box) as it doesn't happen in FW tanks. It only needs to be large enough to get the water from the top to the bottom.

With that said, how is the tank going to be setup? How it is going to be viewed will dictate where to put the holes more than anything else. If its viewed 360 degrees, you want a center overflow box to be able to hide it. If its viewed from 2 sides, put it in the corner that isn't viewed. If its viewed from 3 sides, put it on the non-viewed size.

When feeding, make SURE you turn the return pump off and let the tank sit long enough to stop water from running down the drain. Then feed. Then turn the pump back on. If you don't, and you feed any kind of floating food, it will get drawn into the drain and, depending on the filter setup, will get trapped in the filter and can cause a huge problem. I had my 90G RR tank setup as FW when I first got it and that is the problem I had at the beginning was flake food getting trapped in the filters.

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
not sure whats available in Oz as far as predrilled tanks but if thats where you are heading then I would certainly look at a one of the major manufacturers "Reef ready" tanks, otherwise watch out for some of the issues mentioned
Drilling a tank is not that hard with the right diamond glass drill bits but like anyting in the hobby the more you know about what you doing the better chance for success.

Do a search for tank drilling and look at personal experiences, if you are un sure of anything repost specific questions ,
Good Luck :)

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
not sure whats available in Oz as far as predrilled tanks but if thats where you are heading then I would certainly look at a one of the major manufacturers "Reef ready" tanks, otherwise watch out for some of the issues mentioned
Drilling a tank is not that hard with the right diamond glass drill bits but like anyting in the hobby the more you know about what you doing the better chance for success.

Do a search for tank drilling and look at personal experiences, if you are un sure of anything repost specific questions ,

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts

Holy super multi-post Batman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts