1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I just talked to keith, but I am not going to be able to get out there till midweek, which is not a big deal, but as always.... I WANT IT NOW!!!

LOL.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I would get it from seamonkey. you never know how long stores have had the stuff on the shelf, could be bad already.....

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
This is just my personal opinion so take it for what its worth. I'm sure others will disagree and say i love my DT's. It is the best and well worth every penny spent.

After much reading i think that unless you culture your own it isn't really worth using live phyto . It doesn't take very long at room temps for the phyto to utilize all the available food in the bottle and then become almost nutritionally empty yet stay alive for quite some time as it starves to death. there really is no way to know how long some store clerk let it sit out , if a shipper let it sit in the sun to long, how long its been in the fridge at the store, is your fridge even set at the desired temp ? ... if you want the live stuff you really should do it yourself.

there are several dead options available. I can't speak for every product on the market but most of them kill and preserve the phyto at the height of its nutritional value so you know that you are not just throwing in a bunch of nutritionally empty organisms that your clams, corals, sponges , whatever will have to waste energy attempting to digest. The down side is because it is dead the moment it enters your water it starts to decompose and it obviously wont stay in the water column as long as live phyto without serious flow. My personal first choice of dead phyto would be frozen phyto like liquid life's or brine shrimp directs. The brine shrimp direct you can get a 16 ounce bottle (like two years worth) for like $35 plus overnight shipping. The most cost friendly option is the spray dried phyto , one jar is like $12 and lasts forever, for best results use a little hand blender to rehydrate and insure the particles separate properly.

All that said , culture your own if you really want to bypass all the BS and know for sure you are getting the best : ) If you decide you don't need the best and just want to use something rather than nothing and in an affordable manor use one of the dead options. This is where ya need to do an expected cost/time VS benefit analysis. Ask yourself what you hope to achieve and then decide how much time and money you are willing to spend to achieve that goal.

If you want to try either the spray dried or frozen i have some , just stop over.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not willing to culture my own, so I guess I will be going with the force on this one! LOL

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
If you have a relationship with the people who work at your LFS and you trust what they tell you and their practices that changes things considerably. OD is a different level of store. If they told me they got it in last week i would trust them and i know they know better than to leave the box out all day while they mess around with some other project. Not all of us live near a store like OD though. Most LFS just tell you whatever they have to to get you to buy something off their shelves or employees really have no idea.. I have only bought DT's once , I wont say where but all expiration dates where conveniently rubbed off every single bottle. Could have happened in shipping but makes me uncomfortable all the same.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
blackdog said:
;)

Whatever, ours is fresh and we go through lot's of it. There are also dates on the bottle.

I declare the right to defend... no scolding please.

defend what? no one mentioned any names of any stores.....

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
blackdog said:
You may want to reread this thread, I think 3 people mentioned the name of a LFS. If you follow the flow of the thread I think it is pretty obvious.

All the LFS bashing that goes on around here get's me down sometimes.:cry:
give it a rest.....no one said anything about which stores had bad phyto on their shelfs.....

what LFS bashing? we have FREE SPEECH in the good old USA people can say what they want....

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
blackdog said:
Nope, not at all. I took your advise from an earlier post and went back and actually deleted most of what I originally wrote.;)
Wow, someone actually listened to what I said?!?! :)

I think the fact that you were the ONLY LFS mentioned is a compliment, IMO.
:thumbup:

·
Banned
149 Posts
blackdog said:
You may want to reread this thread, I think 3 people mentioned the name of a LFS. If you follow the flow of the thread I think it is pretty obvious.

All the LFS bashing that goes on around here get's me down sometimes.:cry:

Well 3 people might have mentioned your store... (Good avertising for you btw :) ) But Jerry said "stores" as in any LFS really. He didn't mention your store at all. Besides that, the date on the bottle doesn't mean much if the bottle got heated up somehow... It could have happened before it got to you without you even being aware. I think if your going to try for live phyto you should culture it yourself otherwise there is no way to know what your getting. IMO if your not goingt to culture your own your better off getting the frozen or freeze dried. Like sea monkey mentioned, then at least you know it was "harvested" at peak nutritional value.

·
Registered
241 Posts
JnS said:
give it a rest.....no one said anything about which stores had bad phyto on their shelfs.....

what LFS bashing? we have FREE SPEECH in the good old USA people can say what they want....
Give it a rest? What about FREE SPEECH??:lol: I can tell I am not going to get through to you Jerry, so I give up. I'm done with this thread.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey keith DrD in Wisconsin is going to stop down tomorrow afternoon and grab some for me... thanks for the info!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts