The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just built my ballast for a 20 gallon nano...but I can't find a bulb for it. I want a 43 watt and today went to Home Depot, Lowes, Wallgreens, pet stores and can only find 43 watt "soft white" lighting that didn't even talk about spectrums or kelvins on the box.

Is this something I just have to get online, and if so, anyone know a good bulb to get?

·
Registered
809 Posts
umm...lighting for?? what ya trying to keep...

·
originally original
975 Posts
CFL's have internal ballast, I think you are confusing people.

There is one brand of common CFL that gives a color temperature value, but most of the big companies don't. Isn't 43 watt a floodlight size?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what I was looking at:

http://www.1000bulbs.com/42-Watt-Compact-Fluorescents/1086/

I'm actually the one who is confused here. I built this with the help of a friend who only used one of these type bulbs very successfully.

The ballast says 150watt max. I'm not keeping anything extravagant, right now I have the basic aquarium lighting and my tank is doing good somehow, I've had a few things in there for over a year and its looking great. Bumblebee snails, hermit crabs I bought, and some other things came out of the live rock I purchased and are thriving now: a giant rock boring urchin, a brittle star, a tiny starfish and a couple unidentified snails one that looks like tent on his back.

I'm very new to this hobby I'm just trying to do something very cheap to improve my lighting until I can get something great. Its only a 20 gallon tank with 10lbs of live rock and sand and two tiny Koraylias along with a regluar hang on filter of which I already removed the media long ago just use the water movement.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CFL's have internal ballast, I think you are confusing people.

There is one brand of common CFL that gives a color temperature value, but most of the big companies don't. Isn't 43 watt a floodlight size?

You are right, when I said I built a ballast I meant I build a canopy/hood that can house a screw in style spiral CFL.

And I need a 42 watt bulb with color value, not 43 watt as I said in original post. Do you know where to get one at least 6500k or would the bulb I linked to above work for a 20 gallon?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
not sure where to find a bulb like that, you may want to just order it online. however, that would not be sufficient for any corals, so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure where to find a bulb like that, you may want to just order it online. however, that would not be sufficient for any corals, so keep that in mind.
How many watts per gallon do you think I need? This is only a 20 gallon tank and I've built a nice reflection system. The 42W 6500K bulb are about 20 dollars after shipping. The guy I got the canopy from was only using like 42w household bulbs...unknown kelvin output. His tank was thriving.

I don't know how much to buy into the numbers about it. Need to see it to believe it. Worth a try for 25 dollars. The only thing I haven't had some success was a red gorgonian type thing...pretty sure I didn't have enough light for that type of coral.

Also, do rock boring urchins take over a tank? I had a baby one crawl out of a piece of live rock a year ago and he is almost as big as a tennis ball.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
watts per gallon is a pretty useless means of determine a light setup's effectiveness. You need to measure PAR to get a good feel of what the light is doing for coral. And that's not an easy thing to do. A bulb like that is designed for illumination, NOT high output for coral photosynthesis. I would recommend, at a minimum, a 2 bulb T5 fixture with individual bulb reflectors. At best, a single 150W metal halide setup would allow you to keep anything in that tank.

I would get rid of the urchin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts