The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
originally original
975 Posts
the kitchen grade stuff is usually for sanitary surfaces, I'd go with that.

·
originally original
975 Posts
The stuff I used installing restaurant kitchens was inert, some of the mold resistant silicones are just resistant to porosity. If it does have a chemical inhibitor in it, it most likely would be benign, otherwise it wouldn't be in out kitchens.

·
Registered
535 Posts
The stuff I used installing restaurant kitchens was inert, some of the mold resistant silicones are just resistant to porosity. If it does have a chemical inhibitor in it, it most likely would be benign, otherwise it wouldn't be in out kitchens.
If it has Anit-mildew/anti-bacterial in it then it will leach that into the water.

Would you drink from a cup made out of it??????

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Pretty risky IMO. People have crossed this road and killed a lot of stuff. A buddy of mine from Canada wound up killing about 3k worth of coal and fish. Two months later he realized is was the silicone. Since he took the sump out and rebuilt one with different stuff, all is well.

And I believe this is exactly why it's in the kitchens and bath... To resist mold and mildew in high-humidity, heavy water useage areas?

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,670 Posts
I don't know what a in out kitchen(maybe a dinner?)but in fish tanks it's poison.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts