The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an emerald crab a couple of months ago, and rarely see him. I haven't seen him for over a week. Are they shy and just hide a lot? I bought him thinking I would at least see him every once in a while. Do other people's emeralds hide this much?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, I'll look for him tonight. Are there any other crabs that do not hide so much. Can I add more emeralds in my 55? Will other crabs such as Sallys get along with them?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, right after I asked I just saw him. Mine is not a pretty green color though, his shell is sort of grayish looking. Is this normal?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i believe they come in a variety of colors if im not mistaken. someone correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
do you have hermits? they cant hide too well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, I've got quite a few of those. Definately not shy, I just wanted something that looked more like a "crab", if that makes any sense

·
Registered
119 Posts
mine sheds / molts almost once a month on the dot and its always around the full moon i noticed and it hides for a couple of days after and it turns grey just before it sheds . i also agree with vwd mine hides during the day and comes out when the actinics are on at night . emerald crabs and sallies do get along just fine as long as they have plenty of food.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just came in from work and the emerald crab was on his back. at first I thought he was dead, but he looks like he is taking his shell off. He was gray like you said before yours molts, hopefully that is what he is doing

·
Registered
119 Posts
i saw mine on its back too well i thought it was on its back but it was just the old shell. mine tripled in size after this last molt.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
tony0980 said:
I just came in from work and the emerald crab was on his back. at first I thought he was dead, but he looks like he is taking his shell off. He was gray like you said before yours molts, hopefully that is what he is doing
Did he molt? How's he doing?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately, I think he is dead. He wasn't moving any more last night, so I took him out. At first I thought maybe it was just his shell, but I don't think it was. Don't know why he would have died, I have lots of other hermits, snails, several fish, and mushrooms, and they are all fine. I guess there is a chance it was his shell, but it didn't appear to be hollow like I would have thought.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I hope so, it sure did look like the real thing, but I'll keep an eye out for him. That would be my first loss in a while

·
Registered
119 Posts
my crabs old shells some times look like they still have guts in them but mines still kickin and doing well. yours my be in the rock work letting its shell get hard

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I checked the shell when I took it out, and it did look like the guts were still in there, but it felt really light though. The last night I saw him it looked like he was pulling the bottom part of his shell off, and when I took it out the bottom part was like a door hinge, just open. Dunno, maybe I'll see him

1 - 20 of 23 Posts