The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Reef Geek
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a bit curious. I'm having trouble getting/keeping the calcium level up to par in my 150gal reef tank. The pH is about 8.1, dKh is 10, and the calcium level is about 380ppm. The calcium was about 350ppm. I have been adding about 4tsp of Kent Marine Liquid Calcium a day for the past two weeks but it seems like it should be higher with that amount, and if I stop using it every day it drops pretty fast. Not too sure what could be using up all my CA.....

I have a list of livestock in my tank thread. The link is attached to my signature.

· Registered
838 Posts
I had the same issue once but then I realized my test kit was bad. I got a new kit and realized my calcium was way too high from all the supplements I had put in thinking it was too low.

What kind of salt do you use and how often do you do water changes?

· Reef Geek
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Water changes monthly. About 10% when I do it. I am currently using Petco's brand of marine salt. Thinking about changing but not too sure about the differences with the salt...

· Registered
437 Posts
Water changes monthly. About 10% when I do it. I am currently using Petco's brand of marine salt
:hammerhead:

What are you using to keep your Alk that high?
Ca & Alk should work together so if you can lower your Alk your Ca should go up.

IMOP I like salt with out the name Petco in it and small water changes twice a week ;)

· Reef Geek
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike, I gotta ask you though. I looked at your "My Tank" page and I NEED to know how you got all those beautiful LARGE pics to post to your page. Every time I try to post a pic I get an upload error. I think my pics are too large (by size and space).

· HarleyDavidson n FishyMan
1,169 Posts
Ok good luck with that.
There isn't any reason someone "has to" change water twice a week. Once or twice a month will work just fine.

1,169 Posts
Maybe stop trying to hand feed your tank calcium and alk buffer and start dosing kalk or two part. All of your coral and coralline algae use calcium. Dose properly and you should be fine.

· Registered
437 Posts
Mike, I gotta ask you though. I looked at your "My Tank" page and I NEED to know how you got all those beautiful LARGE pics to post to your page. Every time I try to post a pic I get an upload error. I think my pics are too large (by size and space).
I upload them first to photobucket then just copy and past the URL into your post.

On your Ca issue I would stop dosing for your Alk and let it come down to like
7-8 DKH. I think you will find it easier to keep your Ca & Alk in balance with a better brand of salt and regular water changes, consistency is the key ;)

1,169 Posts
"When I do it" was the key there indicating he sometimes didn't do 10% at least each month.
Lets not go chasing our tail on this. If he starts dosing the tank properly it should be fine. Not everyone can make tank maintenance their lives and while it is good to be consistent, proper dosing can keep things ready and working fine.

· Reef Geek
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Photobucket...gotta try that. Thanx. As for the water changes. I ALWAYS do at least 10% a month. Some times it's closer to 15%. The quantity/repetition of the water change I don't feel is the problem here (the water change debate is played out at this point, my fish/coral/tank are healthy) it's more of a fine tuning debate to get the best results out of my tank. I'm thinking the higher alk might be my problem here. Might try to let it come down some....

· Reef Geek
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not everyone can make tank maintenance their lives
I just can't see changing the water in my tank twice a day! I mean that's awesome! I'd love to be able to get the crap out as soon as it comes out the fish but with three kids, a house, a wife, and working 6 days a week it's just not at all possible for me. I was trying 10% once a week at one point, but I wasn't seeing any difference in the tank. So I went back to once a month.:icon_rock:

· Registered
437 Posts
Ok great at least I can now feel like I might have explained something to you that might help you out :)

On a water change side note (and I'm not looking to debating it ether)
IMOP the only reason I like to do more WC is FOR ME I feel it is more consistent for CA & Alk because the salt mix has it right so with more WC I think the Ca & Alk can fluctuate less.

Water changes IMOP are the least expensive additive you can add to your tank.

Again just my opinion and I know others love to debate and call people out but I'm just offering my advice to you the original poster.

Hope it helps that's all my intention.
As it is I feel like ..........Man I'll never get this 15 min back in my life so good luck and gee wiz I'm almost sorry for trying to help.:lol:

· Registered
437 Posts
I just can't see changing the water in my tank twice a day! I mean that's awesome! I'd love to be able to get the crap out as soon as it comes out the fish but with three kids, a house, a wife, and working 6 days a week it's just not at all possible for me. I was trying 10% once a week at one point, but I wasn't seeing any difference in the tank. So I went back to once a month.:icon_rock:
Lol you had me go back and check my post to make sure.
I never said twice a day lol

1,169 Posts
I agree that water changes are the best way to keep things straight in an aquarium, but calcium can get used up so fast that dosing is almost a requirement at some point. I think I payed $25 for enough pickling lime (kalk) to dose my tank daily for at least a year or more. I just drip it in with RODI water.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.