The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a clam but it won't stick to anything. I had it on the rock that came with it, but it just keeps falling off! I tried to put him down at the bottom of the tank but i don't think it gets enough light. The other problem is that the turbo snails get on it and make if fall over! HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
sweet clam wedge him in the rocks over time he will attach,kinda got to get him into a cranny so he cant fall.:)

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
yes they can be just stick to it and eventually he will like a spot and attach

·
Registered
778 Posts
found this at exotictropicalsspotcom.....

"Placing your T. maxima in your tank is pretty much the same as placing your T. crocea. Pay attention to the color of the clam's mantle and use that as your judge for where your clam should go. Some T. maxima's will show vivid coloration and others will be showing off the brown color of their zooxanthellae. If your clam's color is iridescent, it has adapted to bright lighting and should be placed closer to the top of your tank. If your clam is mainly brown, it should be placed lower in your tank away from strong lighting.

If you have a healthy specimen, it will attach itself to the substrate in less than a day. Keep this in mind when placing your clam in the tank. Make sure you put it where you want it to stay."

derasa clams can be placed just about anywhere, they loose their byssus gland after awhile.
:cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
freeflyer, I place my clams in a clam half shell and let them attach to that. Then I am able to move the clam until I find the place it is happiest. You don't want to keep handling the clam and stressing it out. They don't like that. Being a T. maxima it is going to like bright light. So the higher in the rock structure the better.

HTH...

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool- I will try that. I am getting MH lights this week (they are in the mail!) so I shouldn't have a problem with lights any more!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts