The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have way to many frags to deal with, mainly SPS. I want to be able to buy those plugs/rods/poles or what ever they are that I see so many frags come on at the store.

I am completely unable to find enough rubble pieces to grow them out on and even if I did rubble falls over and takes up too much room. Currently I have probabbly 10 frags left on the sand(result of pulling out a coral to give to a fellow club member). Frags seem to come in waves and I would kill to just be able to glue the new frags on a stick and forget about them for awhile.

BTW, yes I am willing to give free frags to good homes. I have done so in the past and still do so. Currently I have Umbrella Leather Frags(LOTS), a baby frogspawn, few types of buttons, red digita with pink tips, a frag of cup coral, a million bits of tan acro with metalic green polyps, and many more I am sure I am forgetting. I always appreciate new corals myself but like I said, free to good home.I will not ship. Pick up only.

·
Sumpless and Proud
1,297 Posts
Michael....can't help you out with the plugs...

But....I did my rearranging......I've got room for a red digitata with the pink tips....will you save one for me? How's that new monti doing?

J.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hmmm.....I was just thinking about this the other day. As I was cleaning out my junk drawer I picked up one of those drywall plugs. You know the ones you put in your wall and then screw a picture hanger or something into. They look a lot like the plugs frags come on. Why wouldnt they work? Just wondering.

·
www.RMMAC.org Dreamer
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cyberchef I have looked at your Avatar many times wondering what it was... now I know. After looking at your site I have a couple of question. What are the dimensions of plugs and how well do they sit in the sand? I do not have a grow out tank so I hope to just push them into the sand bed. I have a feeling that we will be doing business in the near future.

9fishers I have used drywall anchors in the past(For hanging stuff in drywall). In my experience they are too would be too small to support frags in the sandbed. I would need something bigger. Part of my problem is I have a Maroon Clown with an attitude in my SPS tank. If something is not securely attached he will pick it up, dig it, or just knock it around.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Don may have a better plan, but this is how I have been using them:
  • fill the plug with sand (sugar sized)
  • dry the end of the frag specimen with a paper towel
  • cover the inside top edge of the plug with cyanoacrylate
  • cover the cut end of the coral specimen with the cyanoacrylate and allow to "set" for 10 to 15 sec
  • press against one edge of the glue coated plug and hold for 20 to 30 sec.
  • place finished frag specimen into rack of egg crate cut to desired size.

You may want to anchor the egg crate to a heavy item or piece of suitable LR to keep your MORON clown from moving it. Attach the egg crate with zip ties. You may want to consider a separate refugium (hang some tupperware inside the tank in the back, use a small PH to supply fresh water and current).

btw, I have placed them directly in the sand, but my urchins have a tendancy to push them over.

HTH

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
mjsandbe said:
cyberchef I have looked at your Avatar many times wondering what it was... now I know. After looking at your site I have a couple of question. What are the dimensions of plugs and how well do they sit in the sand? I do not have a grow out tank so I hope to just push them into the sand bed. I have a feeling that we will be doing business in the near future.

Part of my problem is I have a Maroon Clown with an attitude in my SPS tank. If something is not securely attached he will pick it up, dig it, or just knock it around.
The bases are 3/8" diameter (across), the length is 1 1/2", the collar (top of the plug) is 5/8" across. They fit very nicely into the heavier duty eggcrate that has 1/2" holes. HD and Lowes sell a lighter weight eggcrate that has a slighty larger hole and the plugs will fall through. Although I've recently started to use 1/2" nylon fender washers under the collar of the plugs for corals that like to grow out more on the base and they are working great, also they will allow you to use the plugs on the eggcrate with larger holes. I'm currently trying to find a supplier for nylon washers, in quantity, as they get expensive at Lowes and HD after a while (25 - 35 cents each).

They will push down into the SB with no problems, but from the sounds of the Moron Clown, you might want to place a piece of eggcrate on the SB and insert the plugs into the openings of the eggcrate for better stability. Also adding a nylon washer will make it even more stable.

Also, it is very easy to cut the base off of the plug for mounting them to LR. A paring knife, razor knife, scissors, wire cutters or even a steak knife will do it easily.

I've also made eggcrate racks that can hang on the inside of the tank, from the top edge of the tank, before for a place to place frags. I cut the eggcrate to the appropriate size and zip tie the pieces together. I also use this method for making "frames" to place/mount PH to after the suction cup thingies stop working.

Do you just fill the top hole with superglue? Do you get super glue gel in bigger tubes than I do?

I fill the plugs with substrate, 2-5mm arragonite in my case, then top the substrate with super glue gel. I then place the frag end, after drying it off by dabbing it on a piece of paper towel, into the super glue and hold it while I submerse it in a little tank water. The tank water helps the glue to set faster. I also set up containers with tank water and a eggcrate stand and slip the glued frags into the stand in the container as I make up the frags.

I do know of a few places to get super glue in larger containers, but one is really expensive (it's a paleantologists (dinasaurs) site) and the other you have to buy in large quantity. I eventually plan on dealing with the second option, I'll be getting super glue gel in 2oz containers as well as in 16oz bottles, but it's going to be a little while yet. For now I go to Wally World and buy the multiple packs of 3 oz tubes or multiple packs of 2 oz tubes, which ever works out to be cheaper. If you have any good hobby stores in your area, you might be able to get super glue in larger containers there.

PS: To the moderators. I've tried to answer the questions without crossing the line into a "commercial" post. If there is a problem please let me know and I will gladly edit the post.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Just a sugestion that has worked out awesome for me...

Mix 1 part Portland Cement Type II with 3 to 4 parts of crushed oyster shell (or favorite aquarium sand) and pour the mixture into an empty egg carton and let stand for 36 - 48 hours. Soak these in water after they have hardened until its no longer leaching alkalie which raises your ph. Once your ph is 8.4 or less use as needed. This will take about 3-4 weeks.

The added benefit to this technique is if you need more rock for your tank, or just want to add unique shapes to your tank, this is a great way to do this. It will cost you a whopping 10 cents a pound!!! You can seed this with a good piece of existing live rock and it will be covered in two months or so. About 80 lbs of the 200 lbs of live rock in my tank was made this way. I would most highly recommend a ratio of 1 to 4 for this purpose. I have made lots of "Tonga Branch" this way as well as Arches and what not. You will need to soak these in water before adding to your tank for 5-6 weeks depending on how large a piece you make.
Just an idea for you to kick around.....

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Don, I got the HD eggcrate and the plug I've used do not fall through - they are the ones from the commercial fish farm/coral farm (you know the one...) They look to me to be the same size.

The eggcrate rack system really works well - we angled ours sloping downward - it's highest at the back, lowest at the front, using PVC pipe as "legs" and drilled holes in the PVC and zip tied to the eggcrate. Sloping allows for higher/lower placement of frags as needed and also makes any display more attractive.

The advantage of the plastic plugs versus the concrete plugs (and we've had a few of those, BTW...) is that you can fit the frags closer together on the rack, and the plug is inserted into the rack so that fish, snails etc., don't bulldoze (or at least not so easily!

I've also seen concrete discs (about the size of a cookie, and about as thick), and Walt Smith makes artificial plugs for his farmed corals - sort of a pink blob of coloured concrete "rock" with bits and pieces of shell in them (for effect?!). IMO these aren't bad once the coral hides them! ;) Otherwise they look pretty artificial.

The plugs disappear from view fast when the coral grows.

Jenn

Jenn

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The only thing I've noticed about thier plugs is that they are not consistent. Seems like they are constantly switching plugs and some are nicer than others. As far as size goes, they are basically the same.

I've saw your eggcrate system at the last ARC meeting and it looks great. Really shows off the corals nice without having to stretch across the top of the tank... :)

I've seen the concrete discs/plugs/blocks and they work well for most corals. The downside is you have to have them made up and ready/cured or your SOL... :( You can't just make up a batch, and start attaching corals to them. Also the curing is a pain. Some people suggest putting them in the back of the toilet (this works unless you use some sort of "disinfectant" in the toilet tank) or in a container full of water and then do daily water changes on the container. Also, depending on your water supply, while your leaching out the alkalie you could also be leaching in other nasties. Make sure you get water analysis (your munincipality/water company can supply you with one) to make sure that your water does not contain any high levels of anything that you might not want in your system. The other option is to use RO/DI water to cure them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts