The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So TRT... June is coming up fairly close and it has occurred to me that I'm not really sure which date to celebrate my tanks birthday so I'll leave it up to my fellow reefers to decide which one to choose.. I say which one cause there are more than one important dates involved...

I first started my tank in June '07 as a FOWLR system with no sump or skimmer and a plain ol single T8 light... I moved in July '11 to my current location and the tank was up and running shortly after... In Nov. '11 I bought my first coral, a frag of button polyps, and decided that my tank would turn to a reef.. the month of Dec. '11 I spent getting equipment, building a sump, better lighting, and a whole lot of reading... Jan. '12 I connected the sump to the main tank and continued purchasing different species of corals..

So now you see my dilemma.. which date do I make my tanks b-day? June '07,July '11, or January '12?
Technically my tank didn't become a "reef" till this year but 5 years as a fowlr tank needs consideration too.
Which ever my peers choose will work just fine for me either way.. the majority vote gets it.. ready? Begin... Lol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
HA! I just had a similar debate! I've kept a blog for a year but started day 1 when I bought the dry tank. So I hit day 365 and thought, I can't make tomorrow year 1 because the tank didn't finish the major cycle until a month later!

I decided that the tank's anniversary would be May 12 - the birthday would be June 9th (hence I'm on day 384 of the prairie reef project).

In your case... humm. You're live rock and such was ready from when you had it as a FOWLR... good bioload, cycled, mature, likely with some biodiversity. I guess I'd say its birthday was June of 07 but was a "late bloomer" :p

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like it.. HAHA The tank and I would actually have the same birthday then..June 10th.. that is when I first filled it and put the LR in.. Late bloomer.. that a good one.. :D

alright, 1 for June '07
any more?

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Yeah, I count the birthday from the first day the tank has saltwater and rocks and the pumps are turned up on the new reef.

·
cheese and beer... mmmm
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its MY birthday :D
that does explain things better..:) Gemini's are the BOMB!!:beer: haha we rule.. I think I may just use June 10th.. It IS the day I got this tank wet and started this exteremely expensive adventure... I remember well cause the night before was RRRROOOOUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!!:arg: HAHAHA:help:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good question. My tank is new, but it is the 23rd day since I put water in it. It now has gravel, live rock, dead rock, crabs and shrimp. Oh, and a few Aiptasia,which is why I got the shrimp.

Buck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts