The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - sand and water are in.....water is probably 80% clear - I can see quite a bit of floating particles suspended when I shine a flashlight on it.

Should I let it sit for a day to settle more - or should I start the circulation and let the particles get filtered down?

My sand is pure caribbean aragonite so it is pretty fine.

I was hoping to put rock in tomorrow........

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the pure caribbean aragonite in my system too. I added it yesterday and im just able to see the back of the tank, so i think we are about the same on floaties. My big worry is the grit fowling the seal on the centerfuge pump. I'm going to let it rip and if it starts kicking sand up, im shuting down.

If you have sealed pumps I say go for it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am using the bio-rocker system (run by a Mag 9) and a Nautilus Skimmer (run by a mag 7).

·
Administrator
48,724 Posts
Actually I would throw some rock, will you be using cured rock? it will innoculate the sand and stuff with bacteria to make a cohesive biofilm, or something darn near like it ;)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes - I plan to put rock in tomorrow - but should I start the pumps now and try to clear the water in the mean time - or not turn anything on until the rocks are in???? Actually it has cleared quite a bit more over the last 3 hours......

What If I start the system to get the water moving but take out the prefilter sponges etc. so they don't get clogged with the sand until it settles?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.