The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new tank has been setup for about three weeks now. It never showed any Ammonia, Nitrites Never got over .5, and the Nitrates have be 0 for over a week now. 80 lbs of the LR was curing in my living room for 3 months, 100 lbs was curing for 2 months, and the last 50-60 lbs came from someone elses tank that was established for 3 years...

I haven't gotten diatoms, or cyno, but the live rock is starting to grow a ton of corraline, and there's tons and tons of pods all over the acrylic.

All test have been done with salifert.

I was thinking maybe to wait another week? Does that sound reasonable?

The first thing that'll go in is the two clowns, but what should I do about all of the coral? Can I put it all in right away??

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
wait a week and do some more tests, if everything is 0 give the clowns a try. I would wait a week and do some more tests before adding any corals

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool! I figured two weeks of 0's would probably suffice. The clowns will be the only fish in there for a month or two, but what about all of my corals? Can they all be added at once, or do I need to add the corals slowly as well?

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
seshapir said:
Cool! I figured two weeks of 0's would probably suffice. The clowns will be the only fish in there for a month or two, but what about all of my corals? Can they all be added at once, or do I need to add the corals slowly as well?
I don't know for sure. I would think that since they're predominantly photosynthetic that their bioload would be minimal. How about this post serves as a bump and we both can learn something new. :thumbup:

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep heard many different stories on this one. Some say you only need to worry about # of fish and you can add as many inverts and corals as you want. I have also been told to go slow with coral cause it wont stress them as bad. A definite answer would be great.

·
Premium Member
7,654 Posts
Depends on the type of coral.

SPS and the cleaner water corals can be added quite fast. Softies need to be added a little slower.

The more flesh a coral has, generally, the bigger its imposed bioload.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I'm gonna bump this thread since it's important to me as well. So far, I haven't really seen a consensus on when you should start adding corals to a new tank. Of course you should wait until it finishes cycling but again and again, ppl advise to keep waiting - the results will be better. What exactly are you waiting for and what signs are you looking for to know that the tank is ready? I feel like these are really important questions that would help new ppl in the hobby.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I agree waiting is key - - I had a FO tank set up for several years with no problems, water quality great - started adding (slowly) feather dusters, some soft corals/polyps and now have issues! I would add ANYTHING slowly, whether it be corals, softies, zoos or fish - - watch and wait and test your water - - give it twice as long as you think it should take for the tank to react to the new addition. It's really the toughest part of this hobby for me, to wait!

HHC

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
I agree with HHC give it time slowly add what you want one thing at a time. Then give it a week then test to make sure everything is ok then add again.

Me on the other hand i added 4 fish and 5 corals at once to my tank! The only reason i did then was because i got a heck of a deal on it all and couldnt pass them all up. I had to monitor my tank for 2 weeks constant WC's and i had my nitrates jump up to 20 but now everything is back to normal.

Tim

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's where I'm a little stuck though....currently everything is in my 20g. Since summer has come and we've started running the AC we've been having temp issues with the 20g. Somedays I'm getting a 5 degree temp swing!!

The temperature in the house is always the same. If I wasn't home all day watching the temperature like a hawk there could be a problem. I thought maybe it was the heater having issues, so I bought a new one but I'm still having the same problem.

Normally I wouldn't care to add the coral in slowly over the next few months but I'm starting to think they're better off all being added to the new tank in a couple of weeks instead of staying in the 20g.

Here's what I think I should do. In a week if I'm still reading all 0's that will be two weeks straight of no nitrates. I'll add the clowns and the zoas. Wait another week and if all is good add the rest of the coral. Does this sound like a good plan?

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
Sara I agree with you your corals will be happier I think, in the big tank sooner rather than later especially if its getting hard to keep the temp stable

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Sara go ahead and move them over they are all tuff dudes you have.:beer:

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
dont forget to acclimate if the water params are a little different.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Casey said:
Sara go ahead and move them over they are all tuff dudes you have.:beer:
Hmmmm if Casey says it's ok to move them then it must be ok!! ;)

You know what this means though, right? If anything bad happens it's ALL Casey's fault! :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
seshapir said:
Hmmmm if Casey says it's ok to move them then it must be ok!! ;)

You know what this means though, right? If anything bad happens it's ALL Casey's fault! :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts