The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have had our tank set up since 14th December and we put our first fish in (a pair of clowns) on 13th February. We have a 240L tank with live rock, live sand etc.

I’m just wondering when we can get the next fish? How long do the clowns need to be in the tank before it’s ok to add more fish? The clowns seem to be doing well as from what I’ve read about them sticking to the corner or top of the tank is normal.
Also, when can we add an anemone? Is it important we have one if we have clowns?
Thank you :)

·
Shark..but a friendly one
15,036 Posts
Top of the morning Jacqui......WELCOME TO TRT!

Only on my 3rd cup of joe so took a bit to find the conversion between liters and gallons.....SORRY!

That behavior is absolutely normal for Clown Fish.....they're goofy! And absolutely NOT NECESSARY to have an Anemone for them.....Hardier, cheaper, and MUCH EASIER to keep, Clowns will host in just about anything, including Mushroom, and most Soft/LPS flowy, frilly, wavy Corals.

If everything looks OK in your system, including basic PARAMETERS : ie Temperature steady, NO Ammonia or Nitrite levels detected, and most important......YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR SETUP, I'd say your good to go with adding another fish or two. * Keep in mind Clowns are opinionated, aggressive, and prone to be butt heads....make your next selection accordingly. Fish that can stand up for themselves, or peaceful 'bottom dwellers' that the Clowns won't view as competition.

General rule of thumbs in the marine hobby.....
a/ If you look to keeping Corals in the future, adjust your Fish preferences accordingly...,,.,ones that won't eat/destroy your Corals.
b/ Add 'peaceful' Fish first, and most 'aggressive' last.
c/ Add slowly, and pay attention to the BIO-load. https://www.liveaquaria.com/?gclid=...Vq_kopidJO9Pl4-QR08F0wvXdFdNaKZ0aAtPlEALw_wcB This company has kinda been the 'golden standard' with their advice of stocking limits, and compatibility for a long time....VERY USEFUL!

Any questions, we love helping around here.....,All the best,
Hack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Top of the morning Jacqui......WELCOME TO TRT!

Only on my 3rd cup of joe so took a bit to find the conversion between liters and gallons.....SORRY!

That behavior is absolutely normal for Clown Fish.....they're goofy! And absolutely NOT NECESSARY to have an Anemone for them.....Hardier, cheaper, and MUCH EASIER to keep, Clowns will host in just about anything, including Mushroom, and most Soft/LPS flowy, frilly, wavy Corals.

If everything looks OK in your system, including basic PARAMETERS : ie Temperature steady, NO Ammonia or Nitrite levels detected, and most important......YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR SETUP, I'd say your good to go with adding another fish or two. * Keep in mind Clowns are opinionated, aggressive, and prone to be butt heads....make your next selection accordingly. Fish that can stand up for themselves, or peaceful 'bottom dwellers' that the Clowns won't view as competition.

General rule of thumbs in the marine hobby.....
a/ If you look to keeping Corals in the future, adjust your Fish preferences accordingly...,,.,ones that won't eat/destroy your Corals.
b/ Add 'peaceful' Fish first, and most 'aggressive' last.
c/ Add slowly, and pay attention to the BIO-load. https://www.liveaquaria.com/?gclid=...Vq_kopidJO9Pl4-QR08F0wvXdFdNaKZ0aAtPlEALw_wcB This company has kinda been the 'golden standard' with their advice of stocking limits, and compatibility for a long time....VERY USEFUL!

Any questions, we love helping around here.....,All the best,
Hack
That’s really useful. Thank you!
I’m very new to this so looking to learn as quickly as possible and not make stupid mistakes along the way if I can help it

·
15,036 Posts
Now that you've mentioned it... 🤔 ...MOST IMPORTANT RULE in Marine aquaria....GO SLOW.....nothing good happens fast but lots of bad can! ;)
Hack

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Welcome and have fun.
A week or two between fish is all you really need just enough time for the bacteria in the tank to adjust to the new level of nutrients.
I got clown fish when I started my tank. Now wish I had added them later as they can be bullies like all damsel fish.
While they are very hardy and make an excellent first fish in all other aspects, they are not really peaceful fish.
Some are much more of a pain than others like Tomato Clowns.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and have fun.
A week or two between fish is all you really need just enough time for the bacteria in the tank to adjust to the new level of nutrients.
I got clown fish when I started my tank. Now wish I had added them later as they can be bullies like all damsel fish.
While they are very hardy and make an excellent first fish in all other aspects, they are not really peaceful fish.
Some are much more of a pain than others like Tomato Clowns.
Oh wow, I didn’t realise clowns were bullies. We were advised to start with clowns so we just went with it.
Thank you for your advice, very much appreciated! I best start researching what fish to get next :)

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Some species more than others.
Did you get Percula or Occellaris, they seem to be the most prevalent?

·
15,036 Posts
OOOooohhhhhhh I so dislike being the 'devil's advocate', BUT......

Folks do tend to advise first time marine hobbiests to go with the Clown Fish or Damsel Fish, which are related, and VERY HARDY Fish. Old school was, and a lot of lfs still tell people to 'cycle their tanks with them......a practice most of us in the hobby no longer advocate.

NOW that being mentioned as far as the 'why' goes......One of our 1st pieces of advice when folks are setting up their systems, and 'cycling' them with table shrimp, or similar practices, is to PLAN.....PLAN on the FISH YOU MUST HAVE.....TO KEEP CORAL or NOT KEEP CORALS.....and PLAN all your PLANS around THAT. That way you know you're constantly evolving towards your dream tank, with no obstacles in your way.

NOW THAT and THAT being said.......As you are just getting started on your journey there's still time to adjust your choices, with no real whoop involved. Some people MUST HAVE Clown Fish for their end goal....ABSOLUTE beautiful creatures, and pretty much the stable of the hobby, and if you are in that group,,,, I wish you the very best. BUT, if your hearts aren't set on them, and it was just by the store's advice, you have the option this early on to return them for credit, and begin adding 'YOUR MUST HAVES'. You don't have a lot of Corals to knock around chasing the blessed little creatures around the tank, or other fish being chased around by them as you chase them around, and so on.

Only 2 cents worth of advice I've seen passed on over the years.....seldom are things 'too late'. Rooting for Y'All,
Hack

·
Registered
8,147 Posts
Just take it easy and slow, you will be fine. Not to say there won’t be problems, there will. You still have the inevitable algae to come. Around here we generally call it the uglies stage it will pass.

·
Administrator
46,490 Posts
Second tank is usually planned around the "must haves", Marine fish are not as forgiving as fresh water fish

·
Administrator
46,490 Posts
And yes i know that there are certain fish from specific ecosystems, ie, don't put discus in community tank with African Cichlids,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts