The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a clown I've had for one week. It had some ich on it earlier but that has gone away. Today, I noticed that he was acting strangely and swimming at the surface of the water and he showed no interest to some food I put in. It looks like he is secreting a slime coat or something is peeling off of him. You can see it on this side just under his posterior dorsal fin and behind his gill plate. I don't know if this is something to be worried about or not.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Clowns are very durable don't sweat too much over it. I would take spanks advice with the treatment though.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did not treat him for the ich, just fed him and gave it time. Partobe, I was hoping he was just shedding skin as well. I will have to look into this Brooke thing. Thanks for the advice Spanky!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did some research on Brooklynella Hostilis and decided to do a freshwater dip. It seemed terrible, the fish was on it's side like it was dying so I couldn't stand watching anymore and put him back in the tank after about 4 minutes. He's acting really weird now, I'm gonna look into getting that quick cure stuff tomorrow after work. I hope he lives until then.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Some links that might help a little:

Brooklynella Diagnosis and Treatment

How to give a freshwater dip
I pasted these steps over for your convenience:

This is not a cure: Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.

5. Keep the water vigorously aerated during treatment. The simplest way to do this is to insert an air stone into the container.

6, Remove all the fish from the infected aquarium and place them into the freshwater. If you have a large number of fish to treat, do not overcrowd the container. You can do small groups at a time, changing the water after each group has been treated.

7. For the best results fish should remain in the freshwater for a duration of 3 to 4 minutes. If any fish is showing signs of undue stress after a minute or two, remove it.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too late, my clownfish is dead!! I feel like a complete idiot. I followed the directions for the freshwater dip but I don't know if he was too far gone to survive it or what. Now, I'm thinking I shouldn't have done the dip tonight and that I should've waited to get medicine tomorrow. He just looked so bad with all that skin peeling and breathing so fast. It all makes sense now with his symptoms of playing with his food. I don't think I will ever buy another fish from Petco again - he had ich and brooklynella.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
I'm really sorry he died, and it wasn't your fault, and it was likely inevitable. :(

Our first pair of Perculas -- 7-1/2 yrs ago when we were stupid, were bought the day they arrived at the petshop. They both developed Brooklynella, but not at the same time. The first one we treated just as you did, and he died that night before we could get the meds. Then the 2nd one got it within a day or so. We skipped the dip, used the meds in a Q-tank, and lost him just about as quickly.

Our next two we bought from a reef shop -- they had them there for a couple weeks already... reputable shop... reef-only... that was 6 yrs ago... and we still have them!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I am sorry for your loss. I had my royal gramma in qt and after a week and now signs of parasites I moved him to the main tank. Big mistake. He had brook I tore the tank apart put him back in qt with antibiotics and low salinity and he made a complete recovery. Now all new fish stay in qt at least a month and my qt tank always has low salinity just in case.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Shirley and Jena - I'm kicking myself for not recognizing it earlier that he had a problem. I was feeling pretty good about him when he got rid of the ich, didn't occur to me that he would have another disease on top of it. Are the brooklynella parasites all inside my tank? Are any other things in danger (no other fish in the tank, just corals, snails, and crabs)? How long do I have to wait before adding another fish?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
hng said:
Too late, my clownfish is dead!! I feel like a complete idiot. I followed the directions for the freshwater dip but I don't know if he was too far gone to survive it or what. Now, I'm thinking I shouldn't have done the dip tonight and that I should've waited to get medicine tomorrow. He just looked so bad with all that skin peeling and breathing so fast. It all makes sense now with his symptoms of playing with his food. I don't think I will ever buy another fish from Petco again - he had ich and brooklynella.
dont feel bad.. I heard that a fish that doesnt make it thru a fw dip probably wouldnt make it anyway

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm really sorry hng. I agree with the others this wasn't your fault. I do think your right about not buying from petco.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
hng said:
....Are the brooklynella parasites all inside my tank? Are any other things in danger (no other fish in the tank, just corals, snails, and crabs)? How long do I have to wait before adding another fish?
I think, I could be wrong, that you are fine now. None of our other fish caught it. It's pretty much a clownfish thing from what I've heard, but I'm not sure.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost him Hoang. That's awful, I hate losing animals. I don't buy any fish or livestock from anyone but a reputable reef store. I think Petco, Petsmart, Petlands get their stock but very few of these stores in my area know anything about saltwater reefkeeping. The tanks aren't kept up and the animals get stressed out before you buy them. My opinion.

I'm so sorry!

HHC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts