The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm not sure what's wrong with my cardinal, just introduced some new fish a couple days ago, and now he's just sitting in the bottom corner of my tank, and his color is lighter than the other cardinal in the tank. I introduced chromis and anthias so I don't think they are the issue.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
A picture is always helpful to assist you. Was it's color the same as the other before? From what I've read your new additions should have been okay except they may have introduced something that has infected your Cardinal. Certainly sitting in the bottom corner isn't a good sign. Have you checked your params lately?

Otherwise, welcome to TRT!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He's become more yellowy and is now hiding in the rocks and I can't get a helpful picture. Although it does look like he's getting the cloudy eye. Do I need to just take him out? Or what are the chances of getting the other fish sick?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
He's become more yellowy and is now hiding in the rocks and I can't get a helpful picture. Although it does look like he's getting the cloudy eye. Do I need to just take him out? Or what are the chances of getting the other fish sick?
Wow, if you have a quarantine tank up and established that might be a good idea or otherwise if a indeed disease you may have to treat the whole tank. Problem is you need to know what to treat for. There are some "general purpose" type medications and others which are specific to the disease.

Here's one source - http://www.chucksaddiction.com/disease.html

Hope that helps :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well unfortunately he's gone now. I saw his buddy floating in a strange spot, took a closer look and found his body :(
He's wedged between a whole lot of rocks, so now my question is, are the other fish at risk if I don't take him out? I have some emerald crabs in the tank, as well as too many hermits to count. And I'm afraid moving all those rocks would just cause more stress to the other fish. What should I do?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. More often than not it's best to remove the dead fish. Your crabs may enjoy it, but the decay can affect your params.

Did you find anything in the disease link I shared that seemed to be the culprit? You will obviously need to monitor your other fish for signs of issues.

I may be wrong, but I'd think the stress of moving the rocks to get it out may be less than the effects of leaving the body in the tank.

Anyone else want to chime in...correct me or add?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok. I'll wait a little before doing anything in case anybody else thinks otherwise. As far as diseases it looked like brooklynella to me, although I didn't add any new clowns. and I carefully look at every fish about once every 2 hours. Probably over kill but I'm not taking any chances. As far as the fish ruining my params I'm not too concerned. I've got a 180 with a +2 skimmer, that has handled some deaths before. Although, will keeping him in there allow the disease to spread more vs taking him out? I've never dealt with any diseases before so I'm not entirely sure what I should do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: just checked the tank again and don't see the fish, when I saw him before I woulda sworn he wasn't breathing. Could a crab have dragged him off?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yet another update, I've been looking at my yellow tang and he seems to have small algae strings growing on his nose and base of his tail, is this just algae? Or something more that I should be concerned about?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts