The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My frogspawn is all..
Smooshed up and un-inflated.
This is the same way the other head looked before it died...
You can see the empty home of the old head underneath this sick looking one.. :/
Anyone have an explanation?

· Premium Member
7,439 Posts
It could be many things. Judging by the air bubbles zipping by in the pic, the flow may be to strong for it. You could try adjusting the flow and dipping the coral in something like Lugal's Solution.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are your perams? How long have you had it? Was it happy before? Are there any fish picking on it? Do you have any clowns? What lighting do you have?

Those questions should help us narrow things down a bit :)

Whiskey
I'm not sure what my perams are right now.
Was just about to go check.
I'll post them as soon as I get them.
I've had it for about.... 3 weeks now.
If by "happy" you mean open, compared to that, YES!
I can't see any fish picking on it..
I do have one chubby clown. :nuts:
My lighting is 130w of PC.
The LPS is only about 2-3 inches from the surface, so I thought it would be okay?
It could be many things. Judging by the air bubbles zipping by in the pic, the flow may be to strong for it. You could try adjusting the flow and dipping the coral in something like Lugal's Solution.
Actually, Those bubbles aren't really zooming by.
They're just sitting there. :/
I put the LPS in the lowest flow high up area possible. D:

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Perams are:
Salinity: 1.019
pH: 8.2
Ammo: 0
Nitrate: 5.... D:
Nitrite: 0

I don't know why my Nitrate would be 5?...
I guess it could be because I just added a new fish? :eek:

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would try moving him down,.. perhaps all the way down to the bottom of the tank and let him get used to the light in your tank slowly. Do let us know on those perams though, it's possible that something else is causing this.

Whiskey
One of the things that I don't get is why one of the heads would disappear around a week before the other?
If they were being affected by light or peram, wouldn't they both be dying/sick at the same time?...

· Just some guy, you know?
40,399 Posts
One of the things that I don't get is why one of the heads would disappear around a week before the other?
If they were being affected by light or peram, wouldn't they both be dying/sick at the same time?...
Corals are not always logical,... perhaps this head was healthier and able to withstand the change for longer.
I would raise your salinity though,.. 1.019 is pretty low,.. you want to be about 1.025.

Raise slowly,.. topping off with salt water for a few days is a good, low stress way to do it.

Whiskey

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The tank is most definatly not too cold.
It's 83 degrees. :nuts:
I do use a hydrometer...
Yeah, the salinity is low.
I can't go get any water right now.
But I could make some tonight and use it tomorrow.
If I want to raise the salinity a little should I just get 1 gallon of salt water at like 1.025, then add it to the tank?

Oh yeah, about moving the coral down...
The only low flow spot in the sand is right by where my clown likes to stay.
Is it okay to put him there?
I'm afraid the coral will be bothered all the way down there with the clown.. .:/

40,399 Posts
The tank is most definatly not too cold.
It's 83 degrees. :nuts:
I do use a hydrometer...
Yeah, the salinity is low.
I can't go get any water right now.
But I could make some tonight and use it tomorrow.
If I want to raise the salinity a little should I just get 1 gallon of salt water at like 1.025, then add it to the tank?
Yeah, as water evaporates the salinity in your tank will go up - because only the water itself will leave - leaving the salt behind in a greater concentration.

So,.. if you replace that amount of water with pure water (RO/DI water) the salinity will go back to what it was when we started.

However; if you replace that water with salt water, then the salinity will stay increased.

Whiskey

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, as water evaporates the salinity in your tank will go up - because only the water itself will leave - leaving the salt behind in a greater concentration.

So,.. if you replace that amount of water with pure water (RO/DI water) the salinity will go back to what it was when we started.

However; if you replace that water with salt water, then the salinity will stay increased.

Whiskey
So what do you think could be the problem?
The 5ppm of nitrates?
Someone picking on him when I leave the room?
The low salinity?
Too much lighting?

40,399 Posts
Hehe,.. you added to your post.

He doesn't need "low" flow,.. they like medium flow - not blasting flow like being beat on directly by a maxijet,.. but they like to wave in the water moving past them.

Do you have a place low in the tank that fits that description?

Whiskey

40,399 Posts
So what do you think could be the problem?
The 5ppm of nitrates?
Someone picking on him when I leave the room?
The low salinity?
Too much lighting?
I don't know.

But I do know that the nitrates shouldn't be a problem.

And that corals tend to do better in a tank when allowed to adjust slowly to new light,.. I also know that LPS don't like to be blasted by light,.. and their reaction to too much light is to close up.

I also know that corals tend to prefer salinity at 1.025, and anything under 1.022 can be a real problem for them,..

So I suggest changing these two things and seeing if the coral comes around :)

Whiskey

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't know.

But I do know that the nitrates shouldn't be a problem.

And that corals tend to do better in a tank when allowed to adjust slowly to new light,.. I also know that LPS don't like to be blasted by light,.. and their reaction to too much light is to close up.

I also know that corals tend to prefer salinity at 1.025, and anything under 1.022 can be a real problem for them,..

So I suggest changing these two things and seeing if the coral comes around :)

Whiskey
Well.
Yeah.
But it's still right next to my clown's little home. xD
Should I be safe with putting him there?

The head just started to close up today.
Odd...
Could he have been trying to cope with the blasting of light and the salinity?
And since it wasn't changing he started to close?...

· kid impersonator
23,890 Posts
how was it shipped 3 weeks ago when you got it?
the tissues of LPS corals are very fragile and are prone to damage if not shipped properly

when I worked at a LFS, I would see them come in straped to a piece of styrofoam upside down

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
how was it shipped 3 weeks ago when you got it?
the tissues of LPS corals are very fragile and are prone to damage if not shipped properly

when I worked at a LFS, I would see them come in straped to a piece of styrofoam upside down
It wasn't shipped.
I found it at my lfs.
It was beautiful and looked amazingly healthy.
Now, not so much....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.