The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I hook my SEIO 1500's up to a coralife wavemaker power strip alternating them on 15 minutes cycles on off cyclces. The literature says not recommended for use with a wavemaker, do they mean it or do they just want you to buy a more expensive unit ?

Do they just wear out faster, do they catch fire, or do they work just fine ?

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Some pumps are not able to handle the constant on/off that wavemakers provide. Even the wavemakers with the "soft start" feature sometimes don't add enough cushion to the pump to prevent breaking propellers and such. Just my two cents on what little I know. :) Don't take my word to heart! heh heh

Hopefully others with more exp with that brand if pump and wavemakers can chime in more.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Seio's have the tendency to not restart sometimes due to clogs, algae or whatever. So the worst thing that can happen is that you won't get any flow in the event neither pumps restart; which can lead to some pretty bad things.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I love my Maxi Jets for that sort of thing and if you clean them in some vinegar now and then they will last a long time.

The starting current on an AC motor can be three times the running current. The byproducts of these starts and stops is heat and the abrubt starts and stops that cause wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts