The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or will it ever? :confused: :nuts: :mad:.
Out of frozen krill for my baby Huey batfish,and brought out the FD krill i had for my puffer and other fish .As soon as I bought the Costco sized mega'tainer of it , all the fish decided they did not like FD krill any more(same brand, just larger size container:rolleyes:) and since the bat is not really a surface feeder(at least this one ain't) any food @ the surface gets overlooked.
I've soaked the FD in water overnight/all day, even went so far as to try to squeeze the krill hoping it would take on more water, no luck. Warm water/room temp does not matter, "opened" up the shell a lil thinking it would allow it to get soaked up a lil more, still no go.

Am I missing something here? A lil trick i don't know about?
Or am i fooling myself thinking that krill would ever be made to be a sinking food, or is 12 hrs in water(even went so far as to place something over it all, to keep it submerged) not enuf time?
The frozen krill sinks no problem, hardly any even gets close to hanging near the surface, it all pretty much falls fairly quick towards the bottom, where my Bat sucks em up.He does try to get the floating ones, but gives up if he has to spend too much time pointing upwards:rolleyes:.
Even thought about soaking , then freezing the FD , then thawing and see what happens,,,i dunno:confused:

I give it other foods too, not just krill, but it seems like it likes krill so much ,i figured i'd give it what it likes, right?
It gets all kinds of frozen foods,any kind of cube/formula 1+2, squid,mussels,silversides,even mysis plus pellet food to a extent.

It stinks that i gotta spent this much time asking about floating FD krill,,but oh well if any of ya know, and it works, then it'll be worth it LOL

Thanks!

·
11,345 Posts
Might be a dumb question.......but are you soaking it in salt or freshwater??

If i remember correctly back when I would feed krill to one of my lions it wouldnt sink unless It was soaked in saltwater...freshwater soak would still float.......

·
Super Moderator
22,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
,,, it wouldnt sink unless It was soaked in saltwater...freshwater soak would still float.......

Ahah!!!!!!!!!

That may be the answer!:thumbup:
Will try that and let ya know!
Thanks!

BTW: It's been soaked in FW (so far)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts