The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious as to what the normal water/sand cleaner siphon is these days. Last time I was into aquariums, it was just standard plastic tube. Now they have filters, pumps, battery operated?!? By chance they sell robots to do it for me?

So before I go buy something thats going to be horrid, any suggestions? good product? TIA

·
Registered
624 Posts
Python makes a good siphon kit that can stand up to a lifetime of hobbyist wear and tear. However they are pricey compared to other kits, especially if you buy them at an LFS.
They are actually coming out with a 'robotic' glass cleaner but its not out yet so no word yet on it if its just scratches waiting to happen.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I'm old school, I just use 1/4" 1/2" or 3/4" vinyl tube, I even have a 1/2" PVC pipe I attach to get the bottom if I don't want my hands wet ;)
Same here. 9/16" hose with a piece of 1/2" ID tube. Creates great spot suction, but have to be careful not to get it too close to sand or coral. I have suctioned a little Xenia at times..:bigeek: But it recovers pretty well.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
Same here. 9/16" hose with a piece of 1/2" ID tube. Creates great spot suction, but have to be careful not to get it too close to sand or coral. I have suctioned a little Xenia at times..:bigeek: But it recovers pretty well.
I was doing some siphoning right before Christmas, and sucked up my cleaner shrimp :(

that was a sad day, I got him for $12, and had him for almost 2 years!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I use the regular old tubing. It's great for getting under rocks. But then again, my tank is bare bottom:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
3/8 viynl hose 1/2 tube insterted into it with two holes drilled in it's side and bridal vail rubberbanded to bottom of it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts