The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... that you have ever given a fish of yours?
Cmon, you know a lot of us do it - we think of stupid names like Nemo for our clown. Here I'd love to see people list the kind of fish, and their given name (plus any relevant story as to how the said fish acquired the name).

In college I had a freshwater cichlid named Omar and another one (in the same tank) named Satan. :mad: Satan would change his coloring from yellow to dark blue to gray and I swear that he ate Omar whole one night - my roommate and I never found Omar's body. We thought that Satan would live forever because he wouldn't die, until one day I brought a small bottle of holy water from my church and absent-mindedly set it right next to the tank.
The next morning, Satan was dead. And I don't believe in coincidences.
:eek:

I also had a bicolor blenny for a really long time named Mr. B. He died from some infection that I think resulted from him scratching the crap out of himself. We had a big conch shell that he would swim in and then turn himself around so that his head was poking out. He'd sit there for hours and was really fun to watch.

I've had a moon crab who just died whose name was Pinchy, a peppermint shrimp named Jacques (shamefully out of "Finding Nemo"), and a hat urchin named Lurch, too.

Can't wait to hear your stories!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
My first porcupine puffer we named Mr. Prick. Not really original, but people got a laugh out of it when they came to our house.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I no longer name my fish but I had a FW tank when I was a kid. In it I had a pleco I named Suckface

·
life is BeAuTiFuL! <3
New 16g BioCube Gen 3, April 2021... back at the habit!
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are hilarious! Makes mine sound even more lame. :(

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm almost ashamed to say it ...

GSM Clown named "Coral"
Powder Blue Tang named "Orca"
Yellow Tang named "Flirt"
Naso Tang named "Sarge"
Mated pair of YWG's named "Grumpy and Stupid"

Then there have been a bunch of Lawnmower Blennies .... Toro, Briggs, Stratton, Murray, ... (you get the idea) and two named "Fat Boy#1 and #2".

We have alot of fish that never got named though.

I have taken to calling the female False Perc in our 38g "Witchipoo" lately ... every time she bites me!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Hmmmm, I'm almost ashamed to say it ...

GSM Clown named "Coral"
Powder Blue Tang named "Orca"
Yellow Tang named "Flirt"
Naso Tang named "Sarge"
Mated pair of YWG's named "Grumpy and Stupid"

Then there have been a bunch of Lawnmower Blennies .... Toro, Briggs, Stratton, Murray, ... (you get the idea) and two named "Fat Boy#1 and #2".

We have alot of fish that never got named though.

I have taken to calling the female False Perc in our 38g "Witchipoo" lately ... every time she bites me!!!
:lol:

Those are great!

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
I have 2 orchid dottie backs We Will and Rock you, a tominni tang named George (after daddy) all named by my Daughter, I have managed to loose a few of her fish which she has named them all We Will after the song by Queen

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
well when i was in my senior year of highschool i got my first fish (fw) and i named him mr.awsome
i have a fish named now jammie (pajama cardinal)

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I come up with some pretty silly/stupid names. I've got:
-Mrs Meanie Fish (Clarkii - recently given to Tony)
-Gumdrop (yellow watchman, looked like the candy when I got it)
-Plecaso - this one actually kinda smart, its a male royal pleco so named because he looks like he has been painted and has brushes on his fins so I named him after Picasso.
-Lucy, Ricky and Little Bit (FW parrot fish)
Fin-again, Gilly... several fish so named by my husband
Of course mostly I usually just put Mr. in front of the type of fish... Mr Gramma, Mr Wrasse....

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Our original two clownfish are named Homer and Marge after the Simpsons. Lately, we have started to name all of the new stuff with names from the UFC. We have Forrest Griffin the yellow tang and Chuck Liddel the maxima clam. I think I'm gonna get a six line wrasse in the near future. He will be named Rampage Jackson!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
well when i was in my senior year of highschool i got my first fish (fw) and i named him mr.awsome
i have a fish named now jammie (pajama cardinal)
:lol: That reminds me ... my daughter (now 4 yrs old) use to call the PJ Cardinals all "JammieBummies" (which use to be her word for her pyjamas that she wore). My 2 yr old calls them all "Spot Fish".

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Lately, we have started to name all of the new stuff with names from the UFC. We have Forrest Griffin the yellow tang and Chuck Liddel the maxima clam. I think I'm gonna get a six line wrasse in the near future. He will be named Rampage Jackson!
Okay Hoang, you might be giving out a little TMI concerning your television watching habits here. :lol: That is an interesting way to come up with their names though. Do you wait to see their personalities before picking the name, or name them all in advance as you are planning with the Sixline?

I like jammiebummies and spot fish too. :)

·
Ummm... yeah.
538 Posts
My wife started naming with this new tank...
2 clowns - Frank and Jessie (James)
2 Green Chromis - Fred (they're ALL fred)
1 Yellow tang - Custer (as in Gen. Custer)
1 Emerald Crab - Wild Bill
She even named all the Hermits... are you ready... The Hole In The Wall Gang.

I told her she need to start having some Native American in there somewhere.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
My wife started naming with this new tank...
2 clowns - Frank and Jessie (James)
2 Green Chromis - Fred (they're ALL fred)
1 Yellow tang - Custer (as in Gen. Custer)
1 Emerald Crab - Wild Bill
She even named all the Hermits... are you ready... The Hole In The Wall Gang.

I told her she need to start having some Native American in there somewhere.
With all those name,you need a Sargent Major.:lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts