The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to redo my sump and was wondering whats the best way to plumb the water into the sump. Is it to "tee" off before it hits the water and have the top part of the tee high enough so it wont splash out?

·
11,345 Posts
Here are a couple things you can do........

1. Shut the doors to your stand :freak:

2. Plumb the drain pipe down far enough that it is always submerged

3. Use a filter sock....although i did that for a really long time and have discontinued doing so......i cant tell in my water clarity and its one less thing i have to clean.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I simply plumbed mine so that the water empties against the side panel of the sump and it is nice and quiet.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Long drain below water surface,or you can insulate the stand and doors then you wont know if its even on or not.:thumbup:

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well Ive got a durso on my overflow, but every once in a while I get a gurgling sound where it seems like there is some backpressure. Ithink it might be also because the pipe going into the sump goes straight down. I might curve it up and give it a slope and hopefully that should help

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't have enough room under my stand, but I've seen a few people take a Wye fitting and use it similar to a Durso pipe. The 45 would be facing up with water coming into it from the drain and then extending a pipe down into a filter bag. Cutting the pipe about a 1/4" above the water line.
Hope I described that correctly.
Wye fitting

·
Why I get nothing done...
2,978 Posts
afbengochea said:
well Ive got a durso on my overflow, but every once in a while I get a gurgling sound where it seems like there is some backpressure. Ithink it might be also because the pipe going into the sump goes straight down. I might curve it up and give it a slope and hopefully that should help
Did you drill the hole and tune it to your water flow on your DursO:p pipe?

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is what I was thinking of doing to see if itll work. I did drill the durso and the water level is constant without any fluctuation. But it seems like the water is getting backed up when it comes to entering the sump. I didnt know if it was because the pipe goes straight down with no slope.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 775792" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>oldsaint</TD><TD class=alt2>I don't have enough room under my stand, but I've seen a few people take a Wye fitting and use it similar to a Durso pipe. The 45 would be facing up with water coming into it from the drain and then extending a pipe down into a filter bag. Cutting the pipe about a 1/4" above the water line.
Hope I described that correctly.
Wye fitting
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I put a couple of 45deg elbows to slow the water down a bit and the water does not go straight down. also the pipe is under the water level. and the pipe inside the overflow is only like 1" shorter than the overflow box.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
flexible pvc helps, and over time, the pipes will develop a slime coat and that will help reduce the noise as well. Styrofoam inside the cabinet helps to reduce noice as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts