The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i restarted one of my frag tanks today and apparently the new pump is just too much for the overflow . i assume there is no way to get the old one off . what is the best way to fix this other than get a weaker pump ? there is a 2" drain which seems to be enough . its the teeth on the overflow box that seems to be the problem.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Probably can build some sister two-sided overflows that would share the end walls of the original overflow then using a hole saw cut a nice size hole in the shared wall to allow water to flow into the original (center) overflow.

·
Hooked on H20
525 Posts
I think the quickest way would be to just break/cut off some teeth and use the gutter guard.
The best way probably would be to either cut out the existing box and glue in another larger box, or just add on like David suggested. You would have to drain it and let it dry though...
I have some 1/8" black acrylic if you need some.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David Grigor said:
Probably can build some sister two-sided overflows that would share the end walls of the original overflow then using a hole saw cut a nice size hole in the shared wall to allow water to flow into the original (center) overflow.

this sounds like a good idea.

I just filled it with water , i dont want to empty it : (
wish i had known this would going to be too much flow for that box before I put water in it.

·
1,035 Posts
Jerry has the better idea, make the teeth smaller, the spaces larger. If that is not enough, try knocking out a couple of teeth, and keep on doing that until you hopefully don't have all of the teeth out, then Derek's plan is a go.....
Is there room to add a second smaller bulkhead in the bottom of the overflow? Even a 1/2" might be enough. Also assuming there is not enough room for a larger bulkhead. You still might have flow problems when the teeth issue is solved.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
I think they make pills for that. Some girl named Gina just sent me an email.... At least I think she was talking about overflows...?

·
Registered
815 Posts
There is a calculator on RC that you can calculate how many linear feet the overflow needs to be. I believe you enter in what your turnover is, and how large the opening in the teeth are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts