The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard you can have 3 to 5 different tangs. (I have a 220 fowlr). I've heard you should add them all at once and then I've heard that's not good either.
:idea:

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Depends on the situation. Are you looking at different genera of fish? If so, you'd more easily get by if you wanted to add them one at a time. If they're the same, which I would not recommend for a tank that size, I would only do it all at once. Also, the age and filtration of the tank can come into play.

So what fish are you thinking about?

·
Registered
140 Posts
One thing I have learned about tangs is that they are unpredictable and each one is different. I have added them both ways successfully. The biggest key I have learned is to keep them fed. This will overcome almost any issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a sailfin tang,yellow tang and a blue hippo. I have on hold an achilles tang, is this a good idea to add him to the mix. all the other fish get along great. My wife went to the LFS without me this morning to pick him up and instead came home with a moorish idle, she said it's the one from finding nemo. I'm taking it right back, never had one but heard they do poorly in captivity, plus my salfin is chasing it all over the place. so tomorrow he goes back and the achilles comes home and my wife can never pick up fish again.

·
11,345 Posts
anothe super important thing I have learned when adding any fish...especially if there are agressive fish currently in the ank is to put a mirror up for a couple fo days next to the tank.

The existing fish will be much more interested in the fish that looks like them, than the new guy you are really adding.

Im seriously considering adding a 8" Naso in the next week or two. Current co-kings of the tank are a 8" chevron and a 5" PB

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip fly guy! I think I want to to have either a sohal or clown tang, and then some yellow and a kole and either a blue or brown. Any thoughts spaceman? My tank is new with only a couple fish, (foxface and royal gramma) so this addition will be a few months away.
Oh and nice pics big B!

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
They also should be one of the first fish in the tank!Always plan the timid ones first and the most aggressive last.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I think big b is right, you just really never know. A lot of online stores call Powder blue tangs fragile and timid... a lot of reefers say their PBTs are devils. It just really depends on the fish I guess. Id just add em slowly, unless youre going with 3 yellows, then add those all at the same time. Id take a couple weeks in between each fish, to make sure the tank doesnt cycle.

But each time you add a fish, rearrange the tank a little bit, so it seems kinda new for both fish. When youre all done adding all your fish, rearrange the tank one last time, and get the look you want. That way they all claim their own territory at the same time.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I ALWAYS make sure to start with good clean water. That way all the delicious flavor of the Orangey goodness isn't wasted in bad water. Oh, we weren't talking the breakfast of Astronauts? :D

·
My Kitty Cleans My Glass!
974 Posts
I agree with the keeping them fed part. I have a yellow, hippo, naso, and sailfin. They all get along well when happy. When hungry, the hippo goes after the sailfin, which I thought was strange for the hippo.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I ALWAYS make sure to start with good clean water. That way all the delicious flavor of the Orangey goodness isn't wasted in bad water. Oh, we weren't talking the breakfast of Astronauts? :D
How stupid of me. Here I am telling him to rerrange the rocks in his glass, and to add fish. That wouldnt taste very good!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I love tangs too and have a sailfin, hippo and yellow in my 135-gallon - - all added at different times just because that's the way it happened. They are great fish but can be particular about other tangs that have their same body shape. Whenever I add any new fish I always cut all the lighting down and move some of the rocks around to confuse them all!

The advice about feeding well is also very good advice. Put some nori or algae sheets in the tank when you add the new fish, it will keep them occupied for a while......

HHC

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

:lol: I loooove ghetto juice!!!

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,687 Posts
anothe super important thing I have learned when adding any fish...especially if there are agressive fish currently in the ank is to put a mirror up for a couple fo days next to the tank.

The existing fish will be much more interested in the fish that looks like them, than the new guy you are really adding.

Im seriously considering adding a 8" Naso in the next week or two. Current co-kings of the tank are a 8" chevron and a 5" PB
This is a great trick! I'm going to have to try that :)

I have had a huge sailfin for some time,.. I haven't had any real trouble adding other tangs to his tank after a little posturing they seem to get along just fine. I do make sure not to get 2 tangs that are close to the same body type though.

Whiskey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts